First cycle/ weird changes

I respect what you are saying...as it is exactly what 98% of the uneducated and educated people in this area say. Everyone thinks they are a psychologist nowadays.

Our disagreement really is a philosophical one. It's easy to think of the brain causing all of these problems...that's why some people believe it. Same as why so many people eat McDonalds - it's easy and it tastes good. But it's not true just as McDonalds isn't healthy.

If your view is correct, then tell me how after over 10 years in psychology (and I don't do the fluffy, sit on the couch and tell me why you're not happy bullshit psychology), with multiple degrees from multiple universities, I have helped hundreds of patients/clients with depression who have tried meds, endured horrible side effects and I didn't use any drugs or change their brain?

Something you have to understand, your brain responds to the things you encounter, stimuli, which are not inside of you or in your brain. If these things lead your brain to respond in a way and therefore you publicly behave in a way, isn't the problem still outside of you, where it began? Your daughters are not in your brain...the way you interact with them is not in your brain...your brain is present when you interact with them, but "love" doesn't come from your brain or dopamine. The diagnostic process in western civilization has caused more problems than it has helped. By creating a fucking diagnosis for every little thing a person experiences, we now have everyone believing they have a problem and it's all then their brains and medicine can fix it. Do I even need to mention the biggest joke diagnosis of all time "ADHD" - the "my kid doesn't like to do his homework so there must be something wrong with his brain, let's give him meth to fix it" disorder.

No, I don't care how ignorant you think this sounds, depression is a fucking word, a description. They don't take a blood test or scan of your brain to see if you are depressed...you tell them what YOU DO and they label that as depression. Therefore, changing what YOU DO changes the label they give you...get it?

Everyone thinks that the diagnostic process of psychological disorders (which includes depression) is the same as medical diagnoses. I can see when you have a broken leg, test for virus, measure atypical heart rates, etc. YOU CAN'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS WITH PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS. All psychological disorders come down to how you behave, that's all we have and that's what we study. Also, you talk as if depression is not psychological and that all of psychology is sitting in a comfy office talking about how you had a messed up childhood....that's not all there is to psychology. Truthfully, I think all that shit is a joke.

Just because I've ridden in a plane doesn't make me a pilot. I'm not telling you how to fly a plane or how to be a dad...don't tell me how to be a psychologist.

I respect what you are saying...as it is exactly what 98% of the uneducated and educated people in this area say. Everyone thinks they are a psychologist nowadays.

Our disagreement really is a philosophical one. It's easy to think of the brain causing all of these problems...that's why some people believe it. Same as why so many people eat McDonalds - it's easy and it tastes good. But it's not true just as McDonalds isn't healthy.

If your view is correct, then tell me how after over 10 years in psychology (and I don't do the fluffy, sit on the couch and tell me why you're not happy bullshit psychology), with multiple degrees from multiple universities, I have helped hundreds of patients/clients with depression who have tried meds, endured horrible side effects and I didn't use any drugs or change their brain?

Something you have to understand, your brain responds to the things you encounter, stimuli, which are not inside of you or in your brain. If these things lead your brain to respond in a way and therefore you publicly behave in a way, isn't the problem still outside of you, where it began? Your daughters are not in your brain...the way you interact with them is not in your brain...your brain is present when you interact with them, but "love" doesn't come from your brain or dopamine. The diagnostic process in western civilization has caused more problems than it has helped. By creating a fucking diagnosis for every little thing a person experiences, we now have everyone believing they have a problem and it's all then their brains and medicine can fix it. Do I even need to mention the biggest joke diagnosis of all time "ADHD" - the "my kid doesn't like to do his homework so there must be something wrong with his brain, let's give him meth to fix it" disorder.

No, I don't care how ignorant you think this sounds, depression is a fucking word, a description. They don't take a blood test or scan of your brain to see if you are depressed...you tell them what YOU DO and they label that as depression. Therefore, changing what YOU DO changes the label they give you...get it?

Everyone thinks that the diagnostic process of psychological disorders (which includes depression) is the same as medical diagnoses. I can see when you have a broken leg, test for virus, measure atypical heart rates, etc. YOU CAN'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS WITH PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS. All psychological disorders come down to how you behave, that's all we have and that's what we study. Also, you talk as if depression is not psychological and that all of psychology is sitting in a comfy office talking about how you had a messed up childhood....that's not all there is to psychology. Truthfully, I think all that shit is a joke.

Just because I've ridden in a plane doesn't make me a pilot. I'm not telling you how to fly a plane or how to be a dad...don't tell me how to be a psychologist.

I think that you and I could have some interesting conversations. I'll agree to disagree on some of your points and say that I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Where is your practice located?

I think that you and I could have some interesting conversations. I'll agree to disagree on some of your points and say that I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Where is your practice located?

Agreed. Everything is anonymous on the forum, including my location. If you are more interested in my views and this side of psychology, I can tell you some awesome readings that would change the way you look at things.

Agreed. Everything is anonymous on the forum, including my location. If you are more interested in my views and this side of psychology, I can tell you some awesome readings that would change the way you look at things.

Absolutely.. I love reading and learning about any psychological aspects.. Feel free to drop it here or PM me.

Back