First time trying to diet right.. but dont know shit.. still reading.. confused.help.

yadi79

So I did my BMR.. =1969 calories 1969*1.55= 3051.95 calories to maintain my weight..

How do I know how much protien/fat/cal/carbs for the day?

I wanna try this on my own.. at the end..if it doesnt work out..calling 3J..Lol

I see guys that can drop weight so fast and get so lean.. amazing.. every single guy tells me its diet!

I have never really done any cardio.. but I am trying at the moment.. I was alwayz big everyting guy.. even on cycles.. I like the look and feel of the water weight..never thought about having abbs..

Cuz Im married..LOl

So .. all u pro's give me ur 2 cent... plz.

It would help you if you could provide us with your: age, weight, height, activity level, and bf %. This way we can most accurately predict your TDEE and work from there based on your goals.

How fast you can drop weight depends on many factors, genetics being a large one, but yes strict diet will yield better results than even pharmaceutical enhancement and sloppy diet. Once you have your macros down, weigh everything! Strictly meeting your macros will almost guarantee success. This means investing in a food scale (best investment you will ever make), and then tracking your macros. I recommend myfitnesspal.com as a tracker, large data base, free, and there is a mobile app with a bar-code scanner. As for a food scale, amazon has plenty. ($20-$60 generally speaking).

As for cardio, it is all about consistency. In my personal opinion, and what has lead to the best results for my clients, the best type of cardio is the type that you WILL DO. You may burn more calories faster with HIIT, or risk less lean mass with steady state, but in the end if you aren't getting the cardio in because you dislike it then you've got yourself no where.

When I am cutting I tend to stick with steady state (not really worried about preserving lean mass as lean mass loss from HIIT is very overstated), it just works better for me when my energy levels are low. It still all revolves around heart rate though, you want to keep your heart rate up for the duration of your cardio. Personally I walk on a treadmill for 25min 6 days a week, max incline 4mph and that keeps my heart rate at 150bpm.

Carb cycling will take weight off pretty quick when you're starting at a higher bf%, then as you get down lower I find that general caloric reduction tends to works better.

So to sum it all up, weigh everything, be consistent, lose weight.

All the best,
Parker.

It would help you if you could provide us with your: age, weight, height, activity level, and bf %. This way we can most accurately predict your TDEE and work from there based on your goals.

How fast you can drop weight depends on many factors, genetics being a large one, but yes strict diet will yield better results than even pharmaceutical enhancement and sloppy diet. Once you have your macros down, weigh everything! Strictly meeting your macros will almost guarantee success. This means investing in a food scale (best investment you will ever make), and then tracking your macros. I recommend myfitnesspal.com as a tracker, large data base, free, and there is a mobile app with a bar-code scanner. As for a food scale, amazon has plenty. ($20-$60 generally speaking).

As for cardio, it is all about consistency. In my personal opinion, and what has lead to the best results for my clients, the best type of cardio is the type that you WILL DO. You may burn more calories faster with HIIT, or risk less lean mass with steady state, but in the end if you aren't getting the cardio in because you dislike it then you've got yourself no where.

When I am cutting I tend to stick with steady state (not really worried about preserving lean mass as lean mass loss from HIIT is very overstated), it just works better for me when my energy levels are low. It still all revolves around heart rate though, you want to keep your heart rate up for the duration of your cardio. Personally I walk on a treadmill for 25min 6 days a week, max incline 4mph and that keeps my heart rate at 150bpm.

Carb cycling will take weight off pretty quick when you're starting at a higher bf%, then as you get down lower I find that general caloric reduction tends to works better.

So to sum it all up, weigh everything, be consistent, lose weight.

All the best,
Parker.

I like what you said here and agree with your points but I just want to point out one aspect of HIIT that gets overlooked, maybe indirectly to loss of LBM. The propensity towards overtraining when doing HIIT on a cut. I don't think LBM loss is that great as you stated, but when in a calorie deficit, especially an aggressive one, HIIT can lead to overtraining when compounded with weight training. This is not a reason reason not to do it if you enjoy it, it just means you have to pay close attention to your recovery from training stimulus.

I like what you said here and agree with your points but I just want to point out one aspect of HIIT that gets overlooked, maybe indirectly to loss of LBM. The propensity towards overtraining when doing HIIT on a cut. I don't think LBM loss is that great as you stated, but when in a calorie deficit, especially an aggressive one, HIIT can lead to overtraining when compounded with weight training. This is not a reason reason not to do it if you enjoy it, it just means you have to pay close attention to your recovery from training stimulus.

Definitely agree with you here. However I like to think of over-training more as under eating and or under sleeping. If you enjoy HIIT and like eating it could be a blessing while cutting because you could just adjust your intake up accordingly. Personally I love eating and if could put up with HIIT I would love to add more carbs to my diet XD.

This however, brings me to a side note, I usually recommend steady state when carb-cycling. I don't know about you, but when I have a low carb day the last thing I ever want to do is try and sprint. Then once I am at a lower bodyfat (usually around 6%) I switch to general caloric reduction (50%/38%,12%: protein, carbs, fats), and use HIIT to torch off the last bit of fat.

Best,
Parker.

Definitely agree with you here. However I like to think of over-training more as under eating and or under sleeping. If you enjoy HIIT and like eating it could be a blessing while cutting because you could just adjust your intake up accordingly. Personally I love eating and if could put up with HIIT I would love to add more carbs to my diet XD.

This however, brings me to a side note, I usually recommend steady state when carb-cycling. I don't know about you, but when I have a low carb day the last thing I ever want to do is try and sprint. Then once I am at a lower bodyfat (usually around 6%) I switch to general caloric reduction (50%/38%,12%: protein, carbs, fats), and use HIIT to torch off the last bit of fat.

Best,
Parker.

Completely agree but CNS fatigue can still happen with reduced calorie diets and high intensity training and good sleep (rarely but I've seen it).

Overtraining is USUALLY under eating or under sleeping but if you're on a cut, under eating is what your goal is (while sticking to a reasonable calorie deficit that is). If I'm really low carbing it on a cut, I prefer steady state since after my weight training its tough to get the energy for all out sprints. I stay away from macro ratios as they can be completely off but if you know enough to pick the correct ratio that ensures macro sufficiency, by all means nothing wrong with that!!

Sorry.. my stats ...35yr old..5'8" 215lb (Im on test 150/week) Into cycle 8 weeks.. Im usually around 205lb activity level I used 1.55

got the scale yesterday... downloaded Myfitnesspal on my phone..

not to be repetitive, but its all about consistency and getting the most results of the least amount of change.

Sorry.. my stats ...35yr old..5'8" 215lb (Im on test 150/week) Into cycle 8 weeks.. Im usually around 205lb activity level I used 1.55

got the scale yesterday... downloaded Myfitnesspal on my phone..

Alright, well it's a little more of a shot in the dark without a bf%, but here we go.

I used the Harris-Benedict formula, giving you a TDEE of 2934. This gives us a text book standard 20% caloric reduction for weight loss of 2347 per day. My recommendation for your macro break down is the following. 1.25g per lb protein, .4 plb fat, then fill the rest with carbs.

This gives us 205/219/70 Carbs/Protein/Fat. This is roughly a 35%/40%/25% split and as such pretty heavy in fat. This should, however, make things much easier for you as keeping fat intake down to around 30 grams a day is rather difficult without practice and planning. I would also recommend about 40 grams a day of fiber intake.

Glad to hear you got a scale! Also a tip for the myfitnesspal app, from the home page go to the goals tab and then from there you will be able to customize your goals and not use the pre set up ones. After all daily recommended values of protein are the very minimum to maintain nitrogen balance in muscles, for our purposes it should be much higher.

All the best,
Parker.

PS: Once I'm at 50 posts I'll pm you some general recommendations of a meal break down.

Alright, well it's a little more of a shot in the dark without a bf%, but here we go.

I used the Harris-Benedict formula, giving you a TDEE of 2934. This gives us a text book standard 20% caloric reduction for weight loss of 2347 per day. My recommendation for your macro break down is the following. 1.25g per lb protein, .4 plb fat, then fill the rest with carbs.

This gives us 205/219/70 Carbs/Protein/Fat. This is roughly a 35%/40%/25% split and as such pretty heavy in fat. This should, however, make things much easier for you as keeping fat intake down to around 30 grams a day is rather difficult without practice and planning. I would also recommend about 40 grams a day of fiber intake.

Glad to hear you got a scale! Also a tip for the myfitnesspal app, from the home page go to the goals tab and then from there you will be able to customize your goals and not use the pre set up ones. After all daily recommended values of protein are the very minimum to maintain nitrogen balance in muscles, for our purposes it should be much higher.

All the best,
Parker.

PS: Once I'm at 50 posts I'll pm you some general recommendations of a meal break down.

Great recommendations here Yadi, the theory behind it is solid it just needs you to put it into action and be consistent with it.

Thank you for the advice!! Im using my iphone app.. cant find the goal button.. but Im kinda trying to understand your post at the moment.. LOl.. I know..

I dont undstand the macro brake down.. how did u come up with 1.25g per lb protein .4lb fat...

btw, last time I checked on my body fat..it was like 24.... over weight on the chart..Lol.. but I dont look that fat.. my belly is the only fat part on my body.. and my huge love handles ..haha

Okay.. I put my stats on myfitnesspal.. and it shows 1770 calories remaining... from here I put the stuff that i will be eating?

Thank you for the advice!! Im using my iphone app.. cant find the goal button.. but Im kinda trying to understand your post at the moment.. LOl.. I know..

I dont undstand the macro brake down.. how did u come up with 1.25g per lb protein .4lb fat...

btw, last time I checked on my body fat..it was like 24.... over weight on the chart..Lol.. but I dont look that fat.. my belly is the only fat part on my body.. and my huge love handles ..haha

Okay.. I put my stats on myfitnesspal.. and it shows 1770 calories remaining... from here I put the stuff that i will be eating?

DO NOT GO BY MMYFITNESSPAL GOALS UNLESS YIU CHANGE THEM TO WHAT NOSYPARKER GAVE YOU FOR MACROS!!!!use it as a tracker in that case or change the calories and macros in the computer to what nosy said. The goals myfitnesspal gives you are based off their recommendations which are way off for us. Wayyyyyy off. You click the add food button and either search for foods you eat, scan the barcode and hit enter, or make your own foods and plug in macro values.

The macro breakdown nosy gave you is bc you need a minimum of .3-.4g/lb BW of dietary fat and 1g/lb BW of protein. These are MINIMUMS! Nosy gave you right around the minimum of dietary fat for healthy hormonal function as well as other things. .35g/lb BW dietary fat x 2-5lbs = ~70g fat

Protein minimum is 1g/lb BW but nosy bumped you up a little bit to 1.25 actually he gave you around 1g/lb BW but wrote 1.25. Regardless the macros look good and the caloric deficit will create fat loss.

It's late and now I worded it might not make sense but let me know if you get it lol

DO NOT GO BY MMYFITNESSPAL GOALS UNLESS YIU CHANGE THEM TO WHAT NOSYPARKER GAVE YOU FOR MACROS!!!!use it as a tracker in that case or change the calories and macros in the computer to what nosy said. The goals myfitnesspal gives you are based off their recommendations which are way off for us. Wayyyyyy off. You click the add food button and either search for foods you eat, scan the barcode and hit enter, or make your own foods and plug in macro values.

The macro breakdown nosy gave you is bc you need a minimum of .3-.4g/lb BW of dietary fat and 1g/lb BW of protein. These are MINIMUMS! Nosy gave you right around the minimum of dietary fat for healthy hormonal function as well as other things. .35g/lb BW dietary fat x 2-5lbs = ~70g fat

Protein minimum is 1g/lb BW but nosy bumped you up a little bit to 1.25 actually he gave you around 1g/lb BW but wrote 1.25. Regardless the macros look good and the caloric deficit will create fat loss.

It's late and now I worded it might not make sense but let me know if you get it lol

Thanks for emphasizing that! Myfitnesspal is kind of finicky in that way...you have to go out of food to the home tab and then to goals. As a programmer myself this aspect of their site pains me... I actually had to get in touch with their support team to figure this out, shortly there after they put a how to for it up on their FAQ support.

All that you said makes sense. In general I wouldn't drop fat intake too far below 15% of total caloric intake, unless of course you are keeping this in mind and adjusting accordingly. Sometimes when I'm a few weeks out and I need a little more energy I'll drop my fat as low as 9% so I can fit more carbs in, however only for a few days or until symptom's arise.

My apologies about the off numbers, I'll re-read what I write next time around..no guarantees tonight thought, I needed to be asleep an hour ago...

PS: Sorry I didn't get back to you Doc, I still am unable to send PMs lol. Thanks for the reps though, always appreciated.

Best,
Parker.

Thanks for emphasizing that! Myfitnesspal is kind of finicky in that way...you have to go out of food to the home tab and then to goals. As a programmer myself this aspect of their site pains me... I actually had to get in touch with their support team to figure this out, shortly there after they put a how to for it up on their FAQ support.

All that you said makes sense. In general I wouldn't drop fat intake too far below 15% of total caloric intake, unless of course you are keeping this in mind and adjusting accordingly. Sometimes when I'm a few weeks out and I need a little more energy I'll drop my fat as low as 9% so I can fit more carbs in, however only for a few days or until symptom's arise.

My apologies about the off numbers, I'll re-read what I write next time around..no guarantees tonight thought, I needed to be asleep an hour ago...

PS: Sorry I didn't get back to you Doc, I still am unable to send PMs lol. Thanks for the reps though, always appreciated.

Best,
Parker.

I know you can't PM and not worried about it lol. I've been there a few times and resorted to sending ppl visitor messages to send my thanks lmao. You and I both on having needed to be in bed an hour ago :(

i have to agree with doc.. im a low intensity guy all day

doc im not a fan of ratios for dieting... i know there is some sound science to it but people who are at 30% bf and weigh 300lbs get the wrong idea lol

yes agreed... its refreshing to have a bit of knowledge in the diet section other then me lol

I admit, I haven't done nearly as much for the board and this forum in particular as you have 3J, but it def does get tiring. Hopefully we get to see some progress pics from some ppl though that will make it all worth while in the end! Thanks for the kind words too, coming from a mod and one so highly respected in the diet field, there's no way I can take it except for as a great compliment :D

doc im not a fan of ratios for dieting... i know there is some sound science to it but people who are at 30% bf and weigh 300lbs get the wrong idea lol

I understand what you're saying completely and I guess its how our approaches may differ slightly. I should clarify my personal recommendations to let's say around 20% BF as the upper limit give or take. For someone 30% BF at 300lbs is clinically obese and in that case I'd go by LBM. In someone not obese just looking to cut 10-15lbs going by body weight should be a pretty accurate starting point. AS ALWAYS, adjustments may need to be made but the starting points are a good place to start. I dislike ratios as percentages but find the 1g/lb BW protein and .3-.4g/lb BW fat to be a Great starting minimum and can be adjusted to suit someone more specifically if need be.

Sorry for my dumbness.. I still dont have a clue...

humm.. Can I just eat like chicken and rice for 3 meals? with some broc..?

I hate chicken...

ppl make it look easy.. but guess thats y I never diet..Lol

Is there any meal plan book that has meals with all the stats?

I know it wont be acurate for me... but thinking it would be better then me just eating whatever I Think is right..

Back