Free Diet Advice from 3J

3j I know there is much debate re does it just come down to cals in vs cals expended etc...
I have to say based on my own personal experience that nothing cuts bf for me more than a keto diet. My body just does not seem to respond well to carbs.
What are your thoughts on this generally speaking. Are there certain people of body types that just dont respond well to carbs that will do better on a keto or carb cycle type diet or what? As I said for me, personally, I know I even feel better when I limit my carbs and even if I just eliminate processed type carbs from my diet. I really want an educated, experienced opinion on this. Thanks man!
without knowing exactly how you set up your diet with carbs in it i couldn't tell you exactly what is going on...

yes, some people do better on keto than they do on carbs.. im sure there is a genetic variable x that some people have which causes this to happen..

i personally, in the decade that i have been doing this, have only found about 5 clients who truly do not respond well to carbs... these are usually clients with ********* damage though..

99% of my clients do wonderfully with carb cycling, even when they state they are "carb sensitive"

having the proper diet set up with proper macro splits and timing does make a difference...

without knowing exactly how you set up your diet with carbs in it i couldn't tell you exactly what is going on...

yes, some people do better on keto than they do on carbs.. im sure there is a genetic variable x that some people have which causes this to happen..

i personally, in the decade that i have been doing this, have only found about 5 clients who truly do not respond well to carbs... these are usually clients with ********* damage though..

99% of my clients do wonderfully with carb cycling, even when they state they are "carb sensitive"

having the proper diet set up with proper macro splits and timing does make a difference...

Do you notice a difference in the quality of carbs? Does that ultimately make any difference (putting general health aside for the sake of conversation) ?

Do you notice a difference in the quality of carbs? Does that ultimately make any difference (putting general health aside for the sake of conversation) ?
in terms of quality im guessing you mean simple vs semi-simple vs complex carbs?

they ALL have their place in your nutrition... yes, even simple carbs have their place, though limited..

i personally think sticking to complex carbs is a must, esp if you believe you are carb sensitive

there are also other possibilities.. you may have an allergy to a certain carb you are taking in... you may have a mild to acute gluten intolerance...

it takes time to dial things in..

Weight: 220 pounds (100kg)
Height: 6'0" (184cm)
Bodyfat: 15%
BMR 2206
TDEE 3420
Goal: Lean bulk, and shred.

Workouts are 4 day split, 45 mins avg strength session, followed by 20 mins of cardio

Diet plan

6 meals

09:00 meal1
40g Rolled Oats
50g Protein Powder
120g Raspberries/Blueberries
1tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
Cinnamon

600 Cals (17 Fat, 48 Carb, 49 Protein)

12:00 meal2
170g Tinned Tuna + Half Avocado

355 Cals (23 Fat, 6 Carb, 40 Protein)

03:00 meal3
200g Lean Mince
150g Brown Rice
20g Organic Coconut Oil

625 Cals (32 Fat, 52 Carbs, 47 Protein)

05:30 meal4
Musashi P45 Protein Bar

335 Cals (7 Fat, 2 Carbs, 46 Protein)

8:00 meal5
200g Chicken Breast or Similar
150g Rice
Hot Sauce/Spices

660 Cals (20 Fat, 50 Carbs, 70 Protein)

10:30 meal6
Protein Powder/Bars

305 Cals (12 Fat, 10 Carbs, 40 Protein

Post-workout
Dextrose

120 Cals (0 Fat, 30 Carbs, 0 Protein)

Daily totals 3000/111/200/300

What do you think? Any advice would be great

in bold
Weight: 220 pounds (100kg)
Height: 6'0" (184cm)
Bodyfat: 15%
BMR 2206
TDEE 3420
Goal: Lean bulk, and shred.
ok
Workouts are 4 day split, 45 mins avg strength session, followed by 20 mins of cardio

Diet plan

6 meals

09:00 meal1
40g Rolled Oats
50g Protein Powder
120g Raspberries/Blueberries
1tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
Cinnamon
good
600 Cals (17 Fat, 48 Carb, 49 Protein)

12:00 meal2
170g Tinned Tuna + Half Avocado

355 Cals (23 Fat, 6 Carb, 40 Protein)

03:00 meal3
200g Lean Mince
150g Brown Rice
20g Organic Coconut Oil

625 Cals (32 Fat, 52 Carbs, 47 Protein)

05:30 meal4
Musashi P45 Protein Bar

335 Cals (7 Fat, 2 Carbs, 46 Protein)

8:00 meal5
200g Chicken Breast or Similar
150g Rice
Hot Sauce/Spices

660 Cals (20 Fat, 50 Carbs, 70 Protein)

10:30 meal6
Protein Powder/Bares
this is crap.. you should be eating a slow digsting protein here.. the minc earlier in the day should go here.. drop this protein bar and do some chicken in that meal with the rice..
305 Cals (12 Fat, 10 Carbs, 40 Protein

Post-workout
Dextrose so you are only taking dextrose post workout?? where are the fast acting proteins? whey isolate? also, when is post workout?? between what meals?
120 Cals (0 Fat, 30 Carbs, 0 Protein)

Daily totals 3000/111/200/300

What do you think? Any advice would be great
are those daily totals rough estimates?? i see 280g protein here...

assuming those macros and calories are correct (which obviously they are not) and assuming you did your bmr/tdee correct i dont see how you would lean bulk at 3000 calories when you have a 3500 calorie tdee..

furthermore, pick one... are you lean bulking or cutting??

if youre cutting 3000 calories seems to be the right place to start..

if youre lean bulking you need a 500 calorie increase.. that should come strictly from carbs

I really need your help, been working hard and dieting for a few months, no major results, especially around the midsection!

weight: 206
height: 5"11 1/2
BF%-22
BMR: 1946
TDEE: 3016
Goals- lost BF, get stronger, be able to be comfortable at pool/beach with shirt off. 6 pack would be great, but I'll settle for seeing some stomach muscles!

Workout Schedule: Crossfit, I take a one hour class 5x per week! I take pre-workout and creatine. I usually workout in the AM, but sometimes in afternoon.

Meals: I change it up a little, but here is my average day! Also I will cheat once or twice a week with a bowl of ice cream or an ice cream shake.

Breakfast pro/carb/fat/cal
Optimal Nutrition Whey shake 24/3/1/120
Rice cake 1/11/0/50
32g PB 9/7/15/200
Cup coffee black

Snack
1/2 cup blueberries .5/11/.2/41
1/2 oz cashews 4/3/7/85

Lunch
5oz grilled chicken 44/0/5/233
Cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber
With hummus 6/20/6/150

Snack
Deli turkey 3.5oz 24/3.5/.9/122
Rick cake 1/11/0/50
Peanut butter 9/7/15/200

Dinner
Brussels sprouts 9/19/4/98
1 cup rice 5/45/2/215

Snack before bed
ON Casein shake 24/3/1/120

If I get hungry anytime throughout the day, I'll have a muscle milk light protein shake.
I only drink water.

Totals
Cal 1835
Protein-202
Carbs-140
Fat- 54
Sugar- 30

Any suggestions would be great, thanks so much!

Last edited:
cross fit is a high endurance high intensity workout.. you have a 3000 cal tdee and youre eating 1800 cals.. im guessing your weight loss has stopped?? its because your metabolism has gone into starvation mode and slowed to a screeching hault... how long have you been on this diet?? how much weight did you lose in that time frame?? the simple answer here is a maint phase where you take your cals up to 3000 and gain a little weight.. then you drop back to 2500 and do it right
I really need your help, been working hard and dieting for a few months, no major results, especially around the midsection!

weight: 206
height: 5"11 1/2
BF%-22
BMR: 1946
TDEE: 3016
Goals- lost BF, get stronger, be able to be comfortable at pool/beach with shirt off. 6 pack would be great, but I'll settle for seeing some stomach muscles!

Workout Schedule: Crossfit, I take a one hour class 5x per week! I take pre-workout and creatine. I usually workout in the AM, but sometimes in afternoon.

Meals: I change it up a little, but here is my average day! Also I will cheat once or twice a week with a bowl of ice cream or an ice cream shake.

Breakfast pro/carb/fat/cal
Optimal Nutrition Whey shake 24/3/1/120
Rice cake 1/11/0/50
32g PB 9/7/15/200
Cup coffee black

Snack
1/2 cup blueberries .5/11/.2/41
1/2 oz cashews 4/3/7/85

Lunch
Cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber
With hummus 6/20/6/150

Snack
Deli turkey 3.5oz 24/3.5/.9/122
Rick cake 1/11/0/50
Peanut butter 9/7/15/200

Dinner
Brussels sprouts 9/19/4/98
1 cup rice 5/45/2/215

Snack before bed
ON Casein shake 24/3/1/120

If I get hungry anytime throughout the day, I'll have a muscle milk light protein shake.
I only drink water.

Totals
Cal 1835
Protein-202
Carbs-140
Fat- 54
Sugar- 30

Any suggestions would be great, thanks so much!

I started in Jan 2016 at 216lbs. Now I'm 206. I've been eating like this off and on for 6 months. I go into some periods (vacations, etc..) where I eat crap (fast food, etc...). I feel like I'm already eating a lot when on this diet. Should I do more shakes? What type of foods should I eat (carbs or protein based)? I can do 2 scoops of whey in the AM and 2 scoops of Casein in the PM which will add 240 calories. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
did you miss the part where i said you need to go into a maint phase?? and you didn't answer my questions.. come on brother.. lets do this and get back on track with your weight loss lol
I feel like I'm already eating a lot. Should I do more shakes? What type of foods should I eat (carbs or protein based)? I can do 2 scoops of whey in the AM and 2 scoops of Casein in the PM which will add 240 calories. Any other suggestions?

I was editing my post as you were replying, your quick. I understand maint phase! Here is what I said:

I started in Jan 2016 at 216lbs. Now I'm 206. I've been eating like this off and on for 6 months. I go into some periods (vacations, etc..) where I eat crap (fast food, etc...). I feel like I'm already eating a lot when on this diet. Should I do more shakes? What type of foods should I eat (carbs or protein based)? I can do 2 scoops of whey in the AM and 2 scoops of Casein in the PM which will add 240 calories. Any other suggestions?

here is my suggestion...

for two weeks follow the following macros

250g protein
250g carbs
110g fats

after that, change your macros to the following

250g protein
150g carbs (focused on bfast, pre, and postworkout)
100g fat

you should be looking to lose 2lbs a week.. have you read my proper weight and measurements protocol?? its a sticky in the anabolic section

What is MCT oil? So I'm starting on a maint phase tomorrow. Here is my plan:

Meal 1 Preworkout 5:20am Banana and whey shake

Meal 2 Post Workout/breakfast 7:30am- double scoop whey shake
Rice cake and peanut butter

Meal 3 9:30- 1/2 cup blueberries and 1oz cashew nuts

Meal 4 11:30-12pm hummus, veggies, 4oz chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Meal 5 2:30pm hummus veggies 4oz chicken breast and 1 sweet potato

Meal 6 4:30pm rice cake and peanut butter

Meal 7 dinner 6:30 8oz chicken breast and 1 avocado

Meal 8 before bed double scoop casein shake

Total 2855 cal
Protein 305
Carbs 187
Fat 93

Anything else I should add?

in bold
are those daily totals rough estimates?? i see 280g protein here...

assuming those macros and calories are correct (which obviously they are not) and assuming you did your bmr/tdee correct i dont see how you would lean bulk at 3000 calories when you have a 3500 calorie tdee..

furthermore, pick one... are you lean bulking or cutting??

if youre cutting 3000 calories seems to be the right place to start..

if youre lean bulking you need a 500 calorie increase.. that should come strictly from carbs

Yeah sorry I rounded up and down a little bit as each day is a little different.

Lean bulking is the plan, just don't wanna put on too much fat and I've always been quite sensitive to carbs, wouldn't adding 500 cals of carbs make me fatter?

I'll take on board the slow digesting protein before bed, thanks for that.

With the post-workout I take dextrose immediately (during my cardio), then I will eat within 30 mins of finishing cardio, usually meal 3 or meal 5 so I'm getting a big hit of protein as well.

take your protein down to 250... take your carbs up to 300.. reduce your fats to compensate... you need higher carbs for maint.. dont use fruit for carbs.. use complex carbs like potato, brown rice, quinoa etc..this diet looks much better though
What is MCT oil? So I'm starting on a maint phase tomorrow. Here is my plan:

Meal 1 Preworkout 5:20am Banana and whey shake

Meal 2 Post Workout/breakfast 7:30am- double scoop whey shake
Rice cake and peanut butter

Meal 3 9:30- 1/2 cup blueberries and 1oz cashew nuts

Meal 4 11:30-12pm hummus, veggies, 4oz chicken breast, 1 sweet potato

Meal 5 2:30pm hummus veggies 4oz chicken breast and 1 sweet potato

Meal 6 4:30pm rice cake and peanut butter

Meal 7 dinner 6:30 8oz chicken breast and 1 avocado

Meal 8 before bed double scoop casein shake

Total 2855 cal
Protein 305
Carbs 187
Fat 93

Anything else I should add?

Yeah sorry I rounded up and down a little bit as each day is a little different.

Lean bulking is the plan, just don't wanna put on too much fat and I've always been quite sensitive to carbs, wouldn't adding 500 cals of carbs make me fatter?

I'll take on board the slow digesting protein before bed, thanks for that.

With the post-workout I take dextrose immediately (during my cardio), then I will eat within 30 mins of finishing cardio, usually meal 3 or meal 5 so I'm getting a big hit of protein as well.
youre looking to add 1lb a week.. that will be a lean bulk.. have you read my weight and measurements protocol sticky in the anabolic forum?

Hello

Weight : 246lbs
Height : 5'9"
BF : 34% - its from fitbit electronic scale, i dont have enough posts to pm you, and not comfortable putting my pic. Not possible to do at gym either. would it be alright to email them ?

My current goal is to reach 185 or 15% BF , which ever happens faster.

BMR : 1945
TDEE : 3500 (on average) fit bit has me at average of about 4,500 so i assume my TDEE is approximately correct if not higher.

Lifestyle
I try to walk around 10-15k steps a day(including exercise), fit bit does the monitoring for me.

Sun-Tue-Thu (full body)
full body Stretching + short run (200m or so)
Weight lifting
Squats 4x10-15

Incline Press 3x10-12
Flyes(m/c) 2x10
bench Press 3x10-12

Pendlay Rows 3x10-12
Lat pulldown 3x12-15
Rows(m/c) 3x12-15
DB Rows 3x12-15

Shoulder Press 2x10-12

Dead Lift 3-4x6-8

Curls 2x12-15

Calf Raise 2x15

Cardio 10-30mins

Takes me anywhere between 2 -2.5hrs

Off days (Sat-Mon-Wed)

Stertching
Cardio Total distance logged is approximately 4.5km
My heart rate generally averages about 130 or so. I run and jog, intermittently.
This is generally about a hr or so.
On days that i am really not feeling it, i walk for about an hour.

Macros
Current Macros are
Protein 250
Carbs 250/150
Fats 80/120

I am able to to hit the macros about 85-95% not been able to get them in completely, never crossed anything except of proteins at times.

I eat more carbs on the days i do weight lifting.
On friday(my week off) i dont track much, but eat in moderation as much as possible. I generally dont cross 2.8k-3k cal by my estimations.

Breakfast is generally
milk and cornflakes
mid morning i have a sandwich with 2 eggs and 1-2 egg whites , some tomatoes, onions, cheese(on high fat days)
Lunch is generally wheat bread (home made) with either chicken or tuna sprouts and/or some cooked veggies
I have Shake (2scoops) before heading out for workouts (generally around 6:30-7pm) (with peanut butter on higher fat days)
i have another shake (2scoops) after workout.
Dinner is generally Grilled chicken/steak with salad.

Generally i don't have sugar, use stevia whenever possible.
By my estimates, i drink anywhere between 4-6 ltrs of water everyday.

Supplements
Protein Shake
Preworkout with caffeine (home made)
L-carnitine 1g 2-3 times a day
Multivitamin 2 tabs in the morning
Fish oil (800mg epa+dha) 2 softgels
Joint support glucosmine + msm 3 a day

Any advise you can give me, would be most welcomed.
Oh and i dont know if this relevant, but i just started on trt.

Last edited:
Back