GNC Whey vs. TP or All the Whey

hammer21

MFF: it's the only way.
Can someone explain the benefits of a premium special order whey over GNC 100% pure whey? I get 6lbs of GNC brand for $21. 40 2 scoop shakes. Just wondering what the quality difference was that would justify the price difference.

6lbs for $21 doesn't tell us anything.

What type of protein is in the tub?
What is the quality of the protein?

If you order from TrueProtein, they have lab analysis of all their protein powders and you know what you are ordering.

There have been some posts around about the quality of proteins on the market. You can buy Whey Concentrate for ~$1/lb and you can also buy it for $6/lb. How good do you think the $1 stuff is? On the other hand, the $6 price tag doesn't make the other stuff better either. That's why it is important to know who you are ordering from.

I use TrueProtein because I know they sell the best stuff on the market. I have seen their lab test from the Ion-Exchange Isolate and it says exactly what they advertised.

I can't comment on the quality of the GNC stuff, but I can say this:

- GNC over prices their products. If they are selling 6lbs for $21 I would venture to guess that it isn't the best quality they carry.

- If you go with TP, you know that you are getting a high quality product and they have amazing customer service.

Differences between cheap and expensive:

• Mixability
  • Flatulence
  • Ratio of protein per unit of measure

Mranak likes to voice his opinion... From what I read yesterday he is placing an order with TP.

If this stuff is crappy, you'll hear it from him.

I think after he has a couple shakes and doesn't feel the urge to fart or shit himself, he'll be in here with his feedback ;)

Easto said:
Mranak likes to voice his opinion... From what I read yesterday he is placing an order with TP.

If this stuff is crappy, you'll hear it from him.

I think after he has a couple shakes and doesn't feel the urge to fart or shit himself, he'll be in here with his feedback ;)
I'm one of those awaiting a review from mranak. Easto, is there a link to the lab test on teh true protein website that you mentioned earlier? I'd like to see what other brands of protein were included, and how the test was conducted.

100 % pure whey what this mean?

like mcdonald 100% beef that mean they don't put cat or mouse in the preparation , but they put wheat , oat etc.

That said that no orther source of protein than whey was inside so check for maltodextrine flavor , chemical .

That said that i will no surpise that contain 50 % whey but use 100% unique whey protein concentrate and then realise that they use a 50 % whey concentate hahahahaah. :spank:

I'll see what I can find. Their Ion-Exchange was posted on another board and they even included the name of their supplier, Davisco. So, they are not trying to hide anything.

I didn't mean to infer that they were trying to hide anything, I would just like to see the results, and I think for potential customers, it would be beneficial to them to post the test on their website as proof of their quality of protein.

I talked to Doug from TP and he said they have the tests and he thought they were posted on the site. They should be up there in the next couple days.

Any other companies out there have their lab results posted?

Thanks for the input guys. Basically it sounds like the quality of the whey concentrate in the GNC brand could be suspect? I just dont want to pay $9 or $10 a pound for protien if $3 a pound is going to do the same thing. I am supplying supps for 3 adults and it gets costly real fast.

The cheap GNC stuff is.... cheap quality.

The expensive GNC stuff is over priced.

It's hard to find decent stuff at GNC at an affordable price.

You paid for what you have

isolate is isolate it still double the price of the 80% whey concentrate.

Watch the fat and lactose to determinate the quality.

Maybe they past the 50% lactose as carbohydrate and the fat content of the 50 % is the same as 80%. ---10 % fat---- :goof:

As a sales rep at GNC, I might be able to give you a reasonable un-biased answer ;-) First of all, my ultimate favorite protein is ON. My second favorite is the GNC Pro Performance brand (not just because I happen to work at the place). Here are some pros (no pun intended) and cons of the GNC brand:

Pros:
-contains an enzyme called Aminogen, which helps you break down the protein more efficiently, thus allowing the bioavalibility of the protein to be greater.
-It's economical-you can get about 87-90 servings of that stuff for $46.

Cons:
-Yes Circus, I would have to agree that there is a lot of cholesterol per serving (about 70 mg). That's why it's more of a 'use sparingly' type of protein, unless you aren't concerned about those cholesterol levels.
-For a protein, it is a little high in fat (1.5-2 grams per serving) as well as carbs (4-5 g/serving).

But, overall, if you're on a budget, it's a decent protein that your body will absorb a lot better than other proteins. I use it occassionally when it's on BOGO or something, but I normally use ON. Plus, ON has Aminogen, little fat/carbs, not a crazy amount of cholesterol, and is fairly economical, so you can't go wrong there!

Hope that helps.

Back