Going to start testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) again, . . .

JOWS7

Going to start TRT again, . . .

Just to sum up where I've been: I was tested for testosterone because I saw a drop in libido a few years ago and turns out that I was indeed low - lower than the range. I tried AI-monotherapy for a while - maybe 2-3 months - and while my numbers looked great (total testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol), I still saw no improvement in my libido. I went on to injectable Testosterone Cypionate at a low-dose but frequent dose (50mg's E3D or E4D) in conjuction with Arimidex - still saw no improvement in libido.
(
At some point I decided to test my DHT levels as another possible culprit and sure enough, my DHT levels were low on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) - 20 (range 30-85). I stopped injecting because it was pointless and thought about gels or creams. Since I have no insurance, I knew I wouldn't be able to pay out of pocket for them but my doctor was generous enough to give me a ton of free samples to last me for awhile to test my theory. I immediately started using it and within a week I became slightly irritable and somewhat depressed. I thought before rushing into creams that I should establish some new baseline numbers and go from there. Well, I've waited a bit and I'm ready to grab some new baseline numbers and try out Axiron. I'm hoping things will change in the libido department soon.

If you want to check out my previous threads, here they are:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! Keep an eye on your estradiol. If it gets too high or too low you feel crappy. Gels/creams are notorious for aromatizing into estradiol.

What were your TT and E2 levels at when you were on test cyp?

I too was on ADEX as mono therapy for a while. I used it while being off Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) mono protocol.
On 0.25 mg ADEX EOD LH was 5 IU/L FSH 2 IU/L T.T. = 582 ng/dl....
Problem was I had Very Severe Sleep Apnea and still felt like I was sluggish and low libido.
350 i.u. 3 times per week Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) mono therapy and 0.25 mg ADEX EOD did nothing for me when I hopped on it a month after this lab.
T.T. would be at 512 ng/dl with this Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) therapy.
The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) use to work great for me in my mid 20's.
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one on this board using ADEX alone as I was heavily criticized for doing so.
It approaches Clomid in efficacy in terms of LH stimulation(Testosterone)
Please post your labs for us here.

B.T.W. I was on it for 16 months and there was no improvement in LH and FSH or T.T.
My T.T. would be between 265-291 ng/dl while on the ADEX...
it didn't matter if I took it EOD or E3D...
LH was 4 IU/L and FSH was 2.6 IU/L and my system could only put out 265 ng/dl.
I was on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for 2.5 yrs...that's what did me in...
Poor medical doctors looking over my health and undiagnosed highly severe sleep apnea.
With my 600 ng/dl T.T. I should have been in better shape if treated for my sleep apnea.

Good luck! Keep an eye on your estradiol. If it gets too high or too low you feel crappy. Gels/creams are notorious for aromatizing into estradiol.

What were your TT and E2 levels at when you were on test cyp?

Honestly, I've had E2 as high as 62pg/dL all the way to 9pg/dL (with Arimidex) and felt no difference. While on Test Cyp, I've hit 1035ng/dL with a trough of 550ish.

I too was on ADEX as mono therapy for a while. I used it while being off Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) mono protocol.
On 0.25 mg ADEX EOD LH was 5 IU/L FSH 2 IU/L T.T. = 582 ng/dl....
Problem was I had Very Severe Sleep Apnea and still felt like I was sluggish and low libido.
350 i.u. 3 times per week Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) mono therapy and 0.25 mg ADEX EOD did nothing for me when I hopped on it a month after this lab.
T.T. would be at 512 ng/dl with this Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) therapy.
The Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) use to work great for me in my mid 20's.
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one on this board using ADEX alone as I was heavily criticized for doing so.
It approaches Clomid in efficacy in terms of LH stimulation(Testosterone)
Please post your labs for us here.

Here's what I wrote on the subject on another forum:

Well as some of you know, I decided to give to try the Aromatase inhibitor (AI) solo to increase my testosterone based on a few studies I read. Well, after 6 weeks my Testosterone came in at 638ng/dL, Free Testosterone at 94.9ng/dL and Estradiol from 62pg/dL to 24pg/dL. I was stunned because I did not feel any better!

I decided to contact the guy that ran the study and here is the conversation:

Hello Hans de Boer, I had some questions regarding the long-term efficacy of aromatase inhibition for hypogonadism. I was diagnosed with hypogonadism and it appears to be secondary due to my low levels of gonadotrophins. I was about to commit to a testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) protocol of Testosterone Cypionate, HcG and Anastrazole until I saw a few studies where hypogonadism might be obesity-related. I am 5'9" and at 260 lbs. My Estradiol lab value was recorded at 62 with a range of 20-47. Six weeks on 0.5mg's of Anastrazole every-other-day brought my estradiol number down to 24. Along with this decrease, my testosterone increased to 638 (range 250-1100) up from 316. I am happy with the increase but I feel exactly the same: low mood, low energy, and low libido. Did you observe an increase in mood and libido within the participants in the study? Is this aromatase-inhibition and effective long term solution to hypogonadism? I don't know where to go from here. I have not found any doctors/endocrinologists who are up-to-date with testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) treatments and I do not know where to go from here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-James

Response:

We have just completed a placebo controlled trial with letrozole in men with obesity related hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Abstract is presented on Endocrine Meeting, Boston, 2011, june 4-6

Despite a marked increase in testosterone we could not detect any clinical benefit => so, aromatase inhibition is not the answer in obesity related hypogonadism.

with regards,

Hans de Boer

Wow pretty funny that they jus' finished a trial testing the very same question I had! Anyways, I looked it up and was only able to view the abstract because it's jus' being published last week:

Letrozole Normalizes Serum Testosterone but Has No Clinical Effects in Men with Obesity-Related Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism
Sandra Loves, MD2, Jos de Jong2, Adriaan van Sorge, PhD2, Darryl Telting, PhD2, Ad Hermus, PhD, MD1 and Hans de Boer, MD, PhD2

Endocrinology (AH), Radboud University Medical Centre, Nijmegen Netherlands
Internal Medicine (SL,JDJ,AVS,DT,HDB), Rijnstate Hospital, Arnhem Netherlands

Introduction: Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism is frequently observed in morbidly obese men, due to aromatase-dependent conversion of androgens to estrogens in adipocytes. The clinical impact of this sex hormone imbalance is not known.

Aim: To evaluate the clinical effects of aromatase inhibition in obesity-related hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.

Methods: Double-blind, placebo-controlled, 6-month trial in severely obese men (BMI > 35 kg/m2) with obesity-related hypogonadism (serum total testosterone < 10 nmol/l). Predefined drug regimen (letrozole or placebo): Starting dose 1 tablet/week, subsequent dose escalation every month up to a maximum of 7 tablets/week or until a serum total testosterone of 20 nmol/L. The dose was reduced if serum estradiol decreased below 40 pmol/L.Results: 42 patients were included and 39 completed the study according to protocol: 18 on Letrozole and 21 receiving placebo. Mean age 44.6 ± 1.1 years (mean ± SE), BMI 41.1 ± 0.8 kg/m².

At baseline, both groups were well matched for all study parameters. Placebo treatment did not affect serum hormone levels, whereas Letrozole decreased serum estradiol from 119.1 ± 10.1 to 59.2 ± 6.1 pmol/L (P = 0.0001, normal range (NR) 40 - 160 pmol/L), increased serum LH from 3.3 ± 0.3 to 8.8 ± 0.9 U/L (P < 0.0001, NR: 2.0 ***8211; 9.0 U/L) and free testosterone from 244 ± 19 to 691 ± 39 pmol/L (P < 0.0001, NR: 225 - 625 pmol/L). Both groups demonstrated a comparable decrease in body weight of about 5 kg, and a decrease in abdominal circumference of about 4 cm. Changes in fat free mass, fat mass and bone density also did not differ between groups. Glucose metabolism, lipid profiles, physical exercise capacity and psychological characteristics did not change during treatment.

Conclusion: Despite a marked rise in serum free testosterone, low dose aromatase inhibition had no somatic or psychological effects in men with obesity-related hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. We hypothesize that, with respect to non-sexual somatic and psychological parameters, males primarily thrive on oestrogens, not testosterone.

I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!! Why aren't these people, including me, not feeling any of the increase in testosterone? This is not a small increase, it's a substantial increase.

B.T.W. I was on it for 16 months and there was no improvement in LH and FSH or T.T.
My T.T. would be between 265-291 ng/dl while on the ADEX...
it didn't matter if I took it EOD or E3D...
LH was 4 IU/L and FSH was 2.6 IU/L and my system could only put out 265 ng/dl.
I was on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for 2.5 yrs...that's what did me in...
Poor medical doctors looking over my health and undiagnosed highly severe sleep apnea.
With my 600 ng/dl T.T. I should have been in better shape if treated for my sleep apnea.

Actually, I've had a sleep study performed too and I do have sleep apnea. However, the doctor said it was very very minimal and it wasn't enough to warrant a CPAP machine. He said I could avoid apneas by sleeping on my side and that stitching a half of a tennis ball on the back side of a t-shirt was a popular low-cost option.

Honestly, I've had E2 as high as 62pg/dL all the way to 9pg/dL (with Arimidex) and felt no difference. While on Test Cyp, I've hit 1035ng/dL with a trough of 550ish.

Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean it isn't a problem. Consider high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Problematic? Can you feel them?

Update:

I just received my labs today. Here are the results on 2 pumps of Axiron per day + 0.25 Arimidex EOD.

Total Test: 964 (Range: 348 - 1197)
Free Test: 33.2 (Range: 9.3 - 26.5)
Prolactin: 6.6 (Range: 4.0 - 15.2)
Estradiol: 14 (Range: 7.6 - 42.6)
Free T3: 3.2 (Range: 2.0 - 4.4)

I'm going to scale back on the Arimidex to 0.25 E3D's. Other than that, I'm lost. Is it worth to look into TSH, Total T4, Free T4 and Total T3 if my free T3 values are exactly mid-range? Another thing to note is I forgot about not having sex when testing Prolactin. I had sex the morning of the test. Any advice on where to go from here? I'm looking into testing SHBG, DHT and histamine as the above lab values were the only thing I could afford at the time.

Update:

I just received my labs today. Here are the results on 2 pumps of Axiron per day + 0.25 Arimidex EOD.

Total Test: 964 (Range: 348 - 1197)
Free Test: 33.2 (Range: 9.3 - 26.5)
Prolactin: 6.6 (Range: 4.0 - 15.2)
Estradiol: 14 (Range: 7.6 - 42.6)
Free T3: 3.2 (Range: 2.0 - 4.4)

I'm going to scale back on the Arimidex to 0.25 E3D's. Other than that, I'm lost. Is it worth to look into TSH, Total T4, Free T4 and Total T3 if my free T3 values are exactly mid-range? Another thing to note is I forgot about not having sex when testing Prolactin. I had sex the morning of the test. Any advice on where to go from here? I'm looking into testing SHBG, DHT and histamine as the above lab values were the only thing I could afford at the time.

Wow. How do you feel with these numbers?

Back