How do I build BIG Chest?

JMHFL7 said:
By progress every week you mean add more weight each week? I try to, but but not my much. I try to do the most I can to reach at least 6 reps in decent form. If I add to much weight I will not be able to lift it and if I cannot lift it, then there will be no growth. Suggestions?
yes, i mean add more weight. apart from DB bench like the other bros have suggested, it is really as simple as putting more weight on the bar. pick a rep range, 5, 6 or whatever it is. start light one week. next week try to get all 6 reps with 5lbs more. if you get it add 5lbs the following week and so on. if you plateau after some time (you will), switch to adding smaller increments, or reset to a slightly lower weight and start again. or you could also switch to say 8 or 10 reps for a while and get stronger on that. this is actually not some magical method and is really not very fancy, but is overlooked by most gymrats. as long as you're eating enough along with this you should grow nicely, because at 5'10" 177 chances are you've got lots more potential for growth before things become truly difficult.

Last edited:
outlawtas2 said:
Would you guys advise putting DB work ahead of benching? I mean, I always bench first in order to get the most strength out of it, then head to incline DB's.
For chest development yes.

I haven't touched a BB bench in years.

roccodart440 said:
Running gun is right. Dumbell benching has always been more of a builder for my chest. Using the west side technique definitly adds stretch and emphasis on using the pecs to get the weight moving.

ANyone looking for more chest development should be looking into dumbell work.

I hit all Dumbells today for chest execises and let me tell you, when I was doing the last set, I could not lift anymore!!! This really made my chest go to exhaustion! Thanks ROCCO!

my experience has been that dumbells give size and definition, barbell builds strength.

pretty ricky said:
overtraining!

You think I am overtraining?

How come my triceps are big? Remember, every time I do chest excercises with Barbells Im using my tris (so I am working them indirectly). Then on top of that I do 2 exercises with 3 sets each. According to your view I am overtraining my Tris, but they seem to be getting bigger by the week. Comments?

Last edited:
JMHFL7 said:
33 yo. 5'10 @ 177 using EQ at the moment.

I have an athletic look and all my muscle groups in general are growing.
My arms grow at a more rapid pace than the rest of my body, but my chest, which is what gives you that "manly" look, grows the least! (Oh, and one pec is bigger than the other!). I have read articles on building a better chest, ect.. and applied it.. still, nothing!

I NEED HELP BUILDING MY UPPER (BY CLAVICLE) AND MIDDLE CHEST

Could it be that I am genetically doomed as far a chest goes? Any pointers?

MY WORK OUT:
Monday & Thursday
Chest:
Incline 4sets x 6-10 reps
Flat 4sets x 6-10 reps
Decline 3sets x 6-10 reps
Butterfly 3 sets x 8-10 reps
Triceps - 2 exercises

Tuesday / Friday
Back + Biceps

Wednesday / Saturday
Legs

Overtraining you could be..
Try more intensity less reps and sets. Do include a warmup set and consider switching up with BB and DB. The width of your grip on the BB makes a difference as well. On days I want to push to total failure after the routine is finished, I go with about 60% and a wide grip or good 'ole pushups.

Incline 3sets x 4-8 reps
Flat 3sets x 4-8 reps
Butterfly 3 sets x 4-8 reps
Triceps - 3 exercises 3 sets each 4-8 reps

of course don't forget EAT

i do weighted dips, i have a angles dip station and it might be my genetics but although people think it to be a tricep exercise my chest and front delts get huge from it. i get veins bulging out of my front delts and alot of mass every where exept for the the cleavege at the upper part of my chest.

where is the info on dumbell pressing like you suggested, i cant find it. can some one explain it, and can it be done on incline dumbells

JMHFL7 said:
You think I am overtraining?

How come my triceps are big? Remember, every time I do chest excercises with Barbells Im using my tris (so I am working them indirectly). Then on top of that I do 2 exercises with 3 sets each. According to your view I am overtraining my Tris, but they seem to be getting bigger by the week. Comments?
maybe because your triceps can handle the overload, but not your chest not all bodyparts are equal for everyone.

jocktheglide said:
maybe because your triceps can handle the overload, but not your chest not all bodyparts are equal for everyone.

Maybe I am just genitically not blessed in that area. Thanks again

Barbell presses should be ur foundation despite what people think barbell presses widen and thicken ur chest much much more than dumbells. If your going to do a dumbell press make sure u do a barbell press first. Flys and dips are also good exercises

Phil9999 said:
Barbell presses should be ur foundation despite what people think barbell presses widen and thicken ur chest much much more than dumbells. If your going to do a dumbell press make sure u do a barbell press first. Flys and dips are also good exercises

Thanks, I'll do just do a combination on both and keep them guessing like VICIOUS said.. I just find that every time I do BARBELLS, I tend to work out more my delts and tris... I do put my elbows out and stick out my chest in order to target the pectoralis.

I always seem to get better results with a spotter then I can do a few forced reps really consentrating on the negative with the heavier sets. Also, my left peck is bigger then my right, it looks to me like it's more then just muscle though. Looks like the ribs stick out more too. Let me know if you figger out what to do about yours.

Last edited:
Back