How do I build BIG Chest?

JMHFL7

33 yo. 5'10 @ 177 using EQ at the moment.

I have an athletic look and all my muscle groups in general are growing.
My arms grow at a more rapid pace than the rest of my body, but my chest, which is what gives you that "manly" look, grows the least! (Oh, and one pec is bigger than the other!). I have read articles on building a better chest, ect.. and applied it.. still, nothing!

I NEED HELP BUILDING MY UPPER (BY CLAVICLE) AND MIDDLE CHEST

Could it be that I am genetically doomed as far a chest goes? Any pointers?

MY WORK OUT:
Monday & Thursday
Chest:
Incline 4sets x 6-10 reps
Flat 4sets x 6-10 reps
Decline 3sets x 6-10 reps
Butterfly 3 sets x 8-10 reps
Triceps - 2 exercises

Tuesday / Friday
Back + Biceps

Wednesday / Saturday
Legs

Last edited:
your routine looks pretty good. You gotta just keep on plugging away. My chest lags as well, and I'd like to find a way to bring it up to speed but not overtrain it...it's hard.

outlawtas2 said:
your routine looks pretty good. You gotta just keep on plugging away. My chest lags as well, and I'd like to find a way to bring it up to speed but not overtrain it...it's hard.

So maybe its genetics.. SUCKS!! I have seen skinny guys with nicer chests than mine... sad!

JMHFL7 said:
So maybe its genetics.. SUCKS!! I have seen skinny guys with nicer chests than mine... sad!
sheit that would me then..... :druggie: im skinny 175lbs aat 5'6" my chest stands out vs my arms which are only 16inches, but my chest measurment around my body is 48inches.

you need to progress on all those lifts... a very key ingredient which may not be happening. have your lifts stagnated or are you trying to set PRs every week?

Like mentioned above, you may want to try dumbells for a change. Also, I've found dumbell pullovers, when done correctly to be a great chest builder.

jocktheglide said:
sheit that would me then..... :druggie: im skinny 175lbs aat 5'6" my chest stands out vs my arms which are only 16inches, but my chest measurment around my body is 48inches.

YOU SKINNY BEING 5'6 @ 175? LOL.... Get serious man, you are either overweight or are very muscular

HeHateMe said:
Like mentioned above, you may want to try dumbells for a change. Also, I've found dumbell pullovers, when done correctly to be a great chest builder.

I have tried pullover, hurts my shoudler, I f**ked it up long ago. Nothing can be seen by doctors, but hurts when I do certain movements. I do dumbles on Decline chest

I would try doing DB benching the west coast BB style. In their video they turn the DB so there parallel with the body enabling you to lower them down past your chest. This technique recruits more pec stimulation in the beginning of the DB bench press. They've build a lot of world class bench pressers so it may be worth a try.

running gun said:
I would try doing DB benching the west coast BB style. In their video they turn the DB so there parallel with the body enabling you to lower them down past your chest. This technique recruits more pec stimulation in the beginning of the DB bench press. They've build a lot of world class bench pressers so it may be worth a try.

Im stumped here. What is DB benching and what is west coast style?

Have a link for that please?

Sorry, it's West Side Barbell, (it's a gym that has a video out showing how they train bench pressers). Dumbbell benching holding the DB's with thumbs facing you, this allow you to bring the DB's farther down past the chest putting more emphasis on the pec's in the beginning of the bench press.
I borrowed the tape off Rocco440Dart, I'll see if he can get more info. The video was aimed at power lifters. I'm not a power lifter but found it very informative.

Last edited:
Running gun is right. Dumbell benching has always been more of a builder for my chest. Using the west side technique definitly adds stretch and emphasis on using the pecs to get the weight moving.

ANyone looking for more chest development should be looking into dumbell work.

That west-side style sounds like a pec-tearer! I personally won't go to heavy like that, but I already have bad shoulders.

Would you guys advise putting DB work ahead of benching? I mean, I always bench first in order to get the most strength out of it, then head to incline DB's.

outlawtas2 said:
Would you guys advise putting DB work ahead of benching? I mean, I always bench first in order to get the most strength out of it, then head to incline DB's.

Well DB's are gonna take more strength to use because you have to use more stabilizer muscles to control them.

Just put your weak parts first, throw in some dips and add some time and you should have what you're after. My upper chest is shit too but I've been beginning my workout with inclines and starting to see some changes. Make sure to mix it up every once in a while too.

Your routine has 14 sets for chest. I don't know how intensive your sets are but for me that would be overtraining.

silver_shadow said:
you need to progress on all those lifts... a very key ingredient which may not be happening. have your lifts stagnated or are you trying to set PRs every week?

By progress every week you mean add more weight each week? I try to, but but not my much. I try to do the most I can to reach at least 6 reps in decent form. If I add to much weight I will not be able to lift it and if I cannot lift it, then there will be no growth. Suggestions?

running gun said:
Sorry, it's West Side Barbell, (it's a gym that has a video out showing how they train bench pressers). Dumbbell benching holding the DB's with thumbs facing you, this allow you to bring the DB's farther down past the chest putting more emphasis on the pec's in the beginning of the bench press.
I borrowed the tape off Rocco440Dart, I'll see if he can get more info. The video was aimed at power lifters. I'm not a power lifter but found it very informative.

Any info would help!

roccodart440 said:
Running gun is right. Dumbell benching has always been more of a builder for my chest. Using the west side technique definitly adds stretch and emphasis on using the pecs to get the weight moving.

ANyone looking for more chest development should be looking into dumbell work.

I WILL DO DUMBELLS FROM NOW ON. THANKS

string_bean00 said:
Your routine has 14 sets for chest. I don't know how intensive your sets are but for me that would be overtraining.

REMEMBER, IM DOING EQ, SO I CAN TRAIN HARDER. ANYWAY, IVE NORMALLY ONLY DONE 3 EXESICES (BACK IN 2000), JUST RECENTLY I WENT TO 4 AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Back