How long would it normally take to bench press 3 plates from 2 plates?

Tarasoft11

Right now I can bench press 2 plates for about 9 reps. It has been like this for a few months now and my bench barely goes up anymore

How long would it take to reach 3 plates if I do everything right (train/diet/sleep)

Right now I can bench press 2 plates for about 9 reps. It has been like this for a few months now and my bench barely goes up anymore

How long would it take to reach 3 plates if I do everything right (train/diet/sleep)

Impossible to answer.

Faster if you only care about strength and follow a power lifting routine.

too many variables to give you an answer.

start using the smith machine more.

For $12.95 you can buy a copy of my book. It is called Guaranteed Go From Two Plates to Three Plates Bench Press in 100 Days. PM me. I have a special going on now for my Deadlifting book too.

First get a solid 4 sets of 10 out of the 225 then shoot for 245 so on and so forth.

If you can 4x10 at 225 you should be able to 4x1 at 315

Last edited:
Impossible to answer.

Faster if you only care about strength and follow a power lifting routine.

Yup.

If just hitting 315x1 is the goal, doing a 5x5 or 5x3x1 circuit will get you there faster. However, if you're looking for hypertrophy and want a "real" set at 315 (x8-10), it's going to take considerably longer.

What worked for me was trying to follow a Mike O'Hearn style, of lots of sets of low reps with heavy weight. If you aren't familiar with him, his philosophy seems to be don't waste your time or energy with too much warm up, and put the lion share of your effort into the heavier side.

If you can hit 225x9 strict now, maybe try something like 135x10, 185x2, 225x2, (that was your warmup-just feel the weight then rack it) then your working sets like maybe 260x3 for 5-7 sets.

Many ways to skin a cat but that style worked for me. I was flat benching 250 before I needed surgical repairs to my shoulder and bicep. Roughly a year after I resumed training I'm up to 285x2 on incline, and 315x2 on flat bench in the same workout (along with back since I'm an Arnold fanboy and prefer training chest and back together).

Hope this helps OP

yeah i will switch to the smith machine to shock my chest

Just watch your form. Smith presses are notorious for allowing bad form to destroy shoulders and elbows. Depending on the type of Smith, you may have to bench "backwards", so the angle isn't working against you.

What worked for me was trying to follow a Mike O'Hearn style, of lots of sets of low reps with heavy weight. If you aren't familiar with him, his philosophy seems to be don't waste your time or energy with too much warm up, and put the lion share of your effort into the heavier side.

If you can hit 225x9 strict now, maybe try something like 135x10, 185x2, 225x2, (that was your warmup-just feel the weight then rack it) then your working sets like maybe 260x3 for 5-7 sets.

Many ways to skin a cat but that style worked for me. I was flat benching 250 before I needed surgical repairs to my shoulder and bicep. Roughly a year after I resumed training I'm up to 285x2 on incline, and 315x2 on flat bench in the same workout (along with back since I'm an Arnold fanboy and prefer training chest and back together).

Hope this helps OP

Never take advice from fake nattys did he mention hes on tren 365 days a year?

Op if you can rep it 9 times no reason you cant hit at least 275.... Only way to lift heavier is to lift heavier. Incline dumbells train the shit out of your triceps and lats

how many reps are you up to now?

I went from 2 plates to benching 3 plates in about 30 seconds yesterday. That's how long it takes to take off the collars and add a plate to each side then get back under the bar. Before I knew I was benching 3 plates.

In your case, just follow any one of numerous 5x5 routines doing most of your sets using heavier weights no more than 6-7 reps to failure

Do a time dependent linear regression of your last 12 bench PRs. You will have "an" answer.

Like mentioned earlier, too many variables and too many unknowns about you. The mere asking of this question is reason to believe you definitely are not doing everything "right."

Back