How much time away from the gym

How much time have you spent away from the gym?

• never more than a few days

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • 1 to 2 weeks

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • month or longer

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • i've stayed away up to 6 months

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters
recently it was basically the entire 2-3 months i was working in the summer. i was moving furniture aprox 10 hours a day. i dont know if that counts.

I've taken about 1-1.5 months almost completely off, but that was about 2 years ago. Every now and then I'll take off a week. I'm currently on my 2nd week off after both of my shoulders got fucked up. I'm literally going nuts and a feel like complete shit but sometimes you have to suck it up and let your body heal. I'd rather ta 2 weeks off now then end up getting surgery and be put off for months or even permanently.

Over a year due to health issues. Other than that, I guess a few weeks were the most due to vacations.

every now and then, say twice a year i take maybe 3 weeks or so off. I find it helps me get remotivated and helps my progress when i go back.

Never more then 1 or 2 missed gym sessions in 3 years, I've had the occasional 1 week off due to a cold but I don't count those as it's out of my hands and I wouldn't grow anyway... I've often had to train in hotel rooms bench pressing the bed, lifting chairs and pull ups off the curtain rail :D.....not going makes me feel so guilty I feel like killing myself.

outlawtas2 said:
I've taken about 1-1.5 months almost I'm currently on my 2nd week off after both of my shoulders got fucked up. I'm literally going nuts and a feel like complete shit but sometimes you have to suck it up and let your body heal. I'd rather ta 2 weeks off now then end up getting surgery and be put off for months or even permanently.

I ripped my shoulder out in a fight once when I used to bounce in college. I only took two days off from the gym and started back with super light weight. Like 10lbs for dumbell shoulder presses. It still makes a squishing noise now and then when I do lat raises but that injured side is a bit stronger than the other one. Go figure.

Since I've been working out around 20 years there have been circumstance that have kept me away for months at a time, primarily laziness when I was young!

Now a few days or a week is normal every now and then.

ANYONE who is taking anabolics should be serious into training. And anyone who is serious about their training, doesnt take more than a week off here, two weeks off there. Damn seasonal gym members piss me off...."oh summers coming up...time to hit the gym and start up on the juice."

Anyone else agree?

Last edited:
carolinacrackah said:
I ripped my shoulder out in a fight once when I used to bounce in college. I only took two days off from the gym and started back with super light weight. Like 10lbs for dumbell shoulder presses. It still makes a squishing noise now and then when I do lat raises but that injured side is a bit stronger than the other one. Go figure.

exactly my point. anyone who is serious only takes time off for injuries, and when a week here and a week there is needed.

Onswoll said:
ANYONE who is taking anabolics should be serious into training. And anyone who is serious about their training, doesnt take more than a week off here, two weeks off there. Damn seasonal gym members piss me off...."oh summers coming up...time to hit the gym and start up on the juice."

Anyone else agree?

Agreed. I know some people like that. I just laugh at them.

Don't hate. This is an honest open thread to discuss how and for what reasons we get away from going to the gym. I'm curious to know how many have not gone due to "lost motivation".

I'm on cycle and feel completely unmotivated. Why I have no idea

Last edited:
I was out for about a year because I was sick with Lime Disease.....nasty stuff I wouldn't wish that on my enemy.

Back