how to eat good broke?

rocko3927

Known SCAMMER
wondering how some of you guys do it. buisness for me slows this time of year and i am forced to be careful with my spending. looking for ways to eat big cheap.....

wondering how some of you guys do it. buisness for me slows this time of year and i am forced to be careful with my spending. looking for ways to eat big cheap.....

It's not easy. Eggs, chicken if you can find it onsale, oatmeal is cheap as he'll and lasts a long time. Sweet potatos if you can find em on sale. 93/7 lean ground beef. Gotta shop smart and buy in bulk if you can.

I tell my son who is in college to eat eggs, oatmeal and $5 footlong subway sandwiches cut in 4 pieces. Thats good for 4 meals with a nice macro split if you get the double meat and stay away from cheese, mayo and oil. That runs about $7.50 I think with double meat.

Obviously there are better choices but on a budget they are pretty darn good.

It's not easy. Eggs, chicken if you can find it onsale, oatmeal is cheap as he'll and lasts a long time. Sweet potatos if you can find em on sale. 93/7 lean ground beef. Gotta shop smart and buy in bulk if you can.

I tell my son who is in college to eat eggs, oatmeal and $5 footlong subway sandwiches cut in 4 pieces. Thats good for 4 meals with a nice macro split if you get the double meat and stay away from cheese, mayo and oil. That runs about $7.50 I think with double meat.

Obviously there are better choices but on a budget they are pretty darn good.

agreed...

canned tuna can be ur friend also if u can stomach it

don't you have to be careful with the amount of canned tuna that you eat? Money is very tight for me right now also and I was going to post this same question...

don't you have to be careful with the amount of canned tuna that you eat? Money is very tight for me right now also and I was going to post this same question...

well, i wouldn't say you wanna be eating 20 cans a week, but all that mercury scare from a few years back is like anything.

Can't be so scared that you never eat/do anything.

I agree buying is bulk is great, but sometimes its more expensive because you pay for the quantity. So like Welter said, just be smart. You should stay away from a bunch of shakes anyway, but alot of guys think that is the best way to get your protein in.

Its not. Even if you're broke, eating real food is cheaper and better.

I buy bags of chix breast from Sams and that lasts mea while. I go through 4lbs of lean red meat a week. About 2 dozen eggs. Oats are cheap as fuck. Green beans (cause I'm a veggie snob) and brown rice or kidney beans.

you can do it well, just gotta be smart. And if you don't mind a little extra carbs, PB&Js are cheap as fuck and awesome weight gainers. :D

I get the bags of chicken breasts and oatmeal in bulk, they both work out well for me. I was just wondering what kinds of other things you guys find to eat without leaving your family hungry..lol who doesn't love some pb&j???

Check out a wholesale club. I'm not sure if all Sam's are the same, but my Sam's club sells top sirloin steaks for $3.99lb..no fat or bone so you can eat the whole thing and their great.
If you eat 8oz servings that's only 2 bucks a pop.

If you have a slow cooker, you can buy top round roast (they usually can't GIVE that stuff away around here) and cook it up with some veggies.

Another small tip is to buy fattier ground beef, cook it up and rinse it off with water. It still probably won't be as lean as 93/7....but then again, you're not paying anywhere near that price either.

Like others have mention, Sam's or Costco are awesome. Costco is better imo.

You can also try grabbing some canned chicken breast if you can handle it. Other than that, stick to a lot of oatmeal, eggs, milk, peanut butter, whole grain pasta, brown rice and veggies.

Those places also have fully cooked whole chickens for a few bucks ($4 here for a pretty good sized bird). They're good for the family.

Last edited:
Nice... I'm a broke ass single dad:

• Chickens WHOLE ones... They are CHEAP as hell, and can give you quite a bit of meat
  • Breasts WITH the skin and bones... the price difference is amazing... you can pull the skin off, and use a knife to cut the bone off yourself...
  • Canned Tuna - It's cheap.
  • Sale Meat - There are usually bins etc... or marked down meat that is a touch older.. get that... and freeze it.
  • Frozen veggies - Whatever is green and on sale.
  • Oats - Great source of carbs and cheap.
  • Brown Rice - Great source of carbs and cheap.
  • EFAs - Flax (it's cheaper then UDO's, ANPB, Almonds.
  • Crystal Lite - To change up from water once in a while
  • Frozen Berries - For shakes

That's pretty much ALL I live on... It's cheap, and does the trick... :)

thanks for all the input. i am fortunate to live 1/10 of a mile from costco. great advice on buying whole chickens. love the slow cooker. got some great ideas from everyone. salmon patties are good and as rj would say, "cheap as fuck"

Rj I'm so Fu$&! psyced that u approve of the peanut butter. I eat 'em everynight, natural pnut butter w/ wheat bread. Last night my wife suggested I stop eating so much because of the fat content; almost filed for divorce.

Anyways, bags of chicken, 97% lean meat over rice or potatoes (sheppards pie) eggs are cheap, natural pnut butter, cottage cheese...more suggestions please.......

Rj I'm so Fu$&! psyced that u approve of the peanut butter. I eat 'em everynight, natural pnut butter w/ wheat bread. Last night my wife suggested I stop eating so much because of the fat content; almost filed for divorce.

Anyways, bags of chicken, 97% lean meat over rice or potatoes (sheppards pie) eggs are cheap, natural pnut butter, cottage cheese...more suggestions please.......

i'm eating a slice of 12 grain and natural nut butter right now with a small sliced banana on it.... bananas now are cheap as fuck! ha ha

i'm not sure if you have SUPER walmarts there or the ones with the grocery section, but they have boxes of chicken breast for cheap and double size packages of ground turkey and chicken on all the time for $5... we just look for the ones with the highest weight! :) their ground beef is usuall around the same.... actually everything there is stupid cheap!

I just bought a shit ton of deer meet of craigslist. I have a freezer packed to the max plus had to cook about 10 pounds of meet a refigerate it because I had no more room. Paid 40$ for I would say about 60 pounds of lean red meet

used to hate the gamey taist but have learned to cook with it

I just bought a shit ton of deer meet of craigslist. I have a freezer packed to the max plus had to cook about 10 pounds of meet a refigerate it because I had no more room. Paid 40$ for I would say about 60 pounds of lean red meet

great idea. missed dear season this year but definitely need to brake out the 270 for next year. on my way over to craigs list to see whats available here in atlanta.

Back