I have been losing weight, now what?

Spunkey71

Hell All

I have been working hard and have cleaned up my diet a great deal. Over the last 14 months I have managed to lose 100 pounds and still have a lot to go to hit my goal. Mt question is this, although I am still fat I am starting to notice some lose and sagging skin in my chest and stomach area. What can I do to reduce this or keep it from getting far worse as I continue to lose weight?

Thanks in advance!

That comes with the large amount of fat loss. Congratulations on your hard work by the way. Over 100lbs lost is astounding alone much less in just 12 months, kudos to you!
So your skin will tighten some over time but honestly if you still have more to lose you may eventually have to consider surgery to remove some of the excess, strethed out skin. Dont be bummed about it, it is a sign of your hard work, effort and determination! I think what you should do is keep on track, id try perhaps a toning type of skin lotion, and give it time. See what happens and how much your skin tightens. When you reach your ultimate goal I would give it several months and if the skin has not tightened to your satisfaction perhaps seek a consult on some surgery.
Thanks for the update and again keep up the awesome work!

I am 5'8" and sadly my starting weight was 400 lbs on the dot. As of Monday evening (I only weigh once a week and always at the same time) I am now down to 300 lbs on the dot.

I did one of your diets a couple years ago and I believe I sent you some pics, if you still have them in your inbox it might give you an idea of where I started.

Slowing things down can help, but you will end up with loose skin because of the size differences. I personally have been trying to fill the loose areas with lean mass, but it's a very long process, and doesn't work so well in the abs.

Surgery is inevitable if you want to "finish things", but that depends on how far you want to go.

Welcome back Spunkey, it's been awhile. :)

Hey Halfwit

Believe it or not I have not had to really work that hard to lose the weight. Once I accepted the fact that I am diabetic and started taking my meds I slowly started to eliminate things from my diet. I started off by eliminating sodas, a few weeks later I eliminated milk, a few after that I eliminated all forms of alcohol, so on and so on to the point that now I only drink water and nothing else. I found that quickly after eliminating all of these different drinks that I started to lose my cravings for sweets and over a short period of time quit eating them all together, I do every once in a while will have a cookie or a small piece of chocolate candy. I also found that over time I lost the desire for many other things like bread, I still eat carbs but am very selective of the type of carbs that I eat. I of course try and eat high protein and do drink a protein shake for breakfast every morning.

I have not been able to motivate myself to exercise or work out at all but I know I need to before long if I want to keep and maintain my muscle mass. I really want to avoid surgery but I guess once I lose another 100 lbs and hit my goal weight I will have no choice.

I really want to avoid surgery but I guess once I lose another 100 lbs and hit my goal weight I will have no choice.

Well thats a decision I dont think you will mid pondering over. Now maybe start to get some exercise bud. Some preseason archery scouting will be in order soon, a nice long walk in the woods wont even feel like exercise!

Great advice all around, Halfwit has been there and back be sure to play close attention to his words of guidance.

Hey Halfwit

Believe it or not I have not had to really work that hard to lose the weight. Once I accepted the fact that I am diabetic and started taking my meds I slowly started to eliminate things from my diet. I started off by eliminating sodas, a few weeks later I eliminated milk, a few after that I eliminated all forms of alcohol, so on and so on to the point that now I only drink water and nothing else. I found that quickly after eliminating all of these different drinks that I started to lose my cravings for sweets and over a short period of time quit eating them all together, I do every once in a while will have a cookie or a small piece of chocolate candy. I also found that over time I lost the desire for many other things like bread, I still eat carbs but am very selective of the type of carbs that I eat. I of course try and eat high protein and do drink a protein shake for breakfast every morning.

I have not been able to motivate myself to exercise or work out at all but I know I need to before long if I want to keep and maintain my muscle mass. I really want to avoid surgery but I guess once I lose another 100 lbs and hit my goal weight I will have no choice.

Ohhhh, I know how hard it is brother. Been from 500 to 280, back up to 340 without adding fat. I'm a foot taller than you, so the numbers are obviously a little different.

Exercise?

Start by walking. Then add in light weight training; it will give you progress you can see, which is really helpful. Then you can ease back into hitting things hard. It took me four years to undo my mess, and I'm still not satisfied - but that's how the cookie crumbles. :)

Jimi just made me so jealous, talking about bow season. :(

Thanks everyone!

I am not sure where you guys are located but here in Texas some ranches get special exemptions and are included in a management program through the state. The ranch I am on is one of them, we have 6000 acres and are only allowed 20 hunters. The biologist has completed his deer count and has told us that we must shoot 100 deer this year which is 5 each. We also get to forgo bow season and start hunting with guns during the month long bow season. We also get an additional two months after season has ended for everyone else.

I have been doing a little walking every day, taking the stairs when I can instead of the elevator. I am moving into a new place in a few weeks that has a really nice gym that is open 24x7 so I plan to some light weight training then.

You are doing things right! It's a marathon not a sprint.
A guy I work with just made sure he ate up to a certain amount of calories but he would eat junk !
With that and doing cardio but no weights he lost 50 lbs in 3 months.... then one day he was out sick. Turns out he fell out while in the gym . Dr said he lost too much too quick.
My 2 cents he wasn't eating healthy food!!

You have been going at a nice pace. It's a healthier way to do it. And less chance of a rebound!

Good for you man! Keep going and don't stop!

Here are some concise tips to address loose skin during weight loss:
  • Hydration: Drink plenty of water.
  • Strength Training: Build muscle to fill out skin.
  • Gradual Loss: Lose weight slowly.
  • Healthy Diet: Eat for skin health.
  • Moisturize: Use creams with collagen.
  • Sun Protection: Wear sunscreen.
  • Professional Help: Consider dermatologists or surgeons.
  • Patience: Give your skin time to adjust.

Back