I suck at running

Derexan

Novice
For some reason when i'm running on the treadmill it's all good. I can run a nice 8:15 minute mile (okay, nothing great, but it's a start), but when i run outside in the cold weather my endurance drops by 50% at least. Why is it i can run just fine in the gym on the treadmill but when i'm outside my stamina is horrible.

i have the same problem, i always i thought it was because asphalt is much harder on your shins, knee's and your body. where as the treadmill is built to soften your run. just my opinion or i should say guess!!

Derexan said:
For some reason when i'm running on the treadmill it's all good. I can run a nice 8:15 minute mile (okay, nothing great, but it's a start), but when i run outside in the cold weather my endurance drops by 50% at least. Why is it i can run just fine in the gym on the treadmill but when i'm outside my stamina is horrible.
#1) it's partially mental. you're not used to it, and that makes it more difficult. at least, when i do new activities, or do activities in different ways, i find them difficult at first. as long as we're not talking like 10 below, the cold weather (say in the 30s) should have little effect on your stamina. in fact, as you get more used to it, you'll probably grow to like running in the cold, because you'll be nice and toasty yet barely sweating. i used to go out jogging in 15 degree weather in shorts, T-shirt, and gloves.

#2) air resistance. on a treadmill, you have essentially zero air resistance. outside, you suddenly have to deal with the wind blowing on you due to your forward motion. at 7.5mph (8 minute mile) the energy required to overcome the air resistance is very significant. it's not surprising that you can't maintain the same speed outdoors as you can indoors. this is probably the most significant factor.

#3) environmental factors. hills, turns, etc. even a slight incline can make you slower.

#4) pacing. if you always run on a treadmill, you may not have a good idea of how to maintain a steady and manageable pace, especially when taking into account #2 and #3

anyway, it can be difficult to go from treadmill to outdoors, but i really recommend you persevere. it's a lot more fun to go out jogging on a trail or in a park, than on a treadmill in front of the tv. in my opinion, anyway. :afro:

That and you said cold weather. Its so fucking cold here if I run now my lungs burn......Baby steps with that shit. Plus I fucking hate running, too much work Lol

i dont run, because my knees are already going bad, and im already diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee....... I dont see why people claim that running is good for your body... the amount of stress it puts on your knees and achilles tendon is unreal.... i read somewhere that every time your foot hits the ground it sends 1000's of pounds of pressure right up your achilles tendon...

make sure when your running outside that you run on the crest of the road, and not on the side.... make sure its level.... also buy shoes with better support.... make sure you buy them later in the evening, because your feet swell up to an extra size or so after you have been walking on them all day

* Cold weather
* Treadmills absorb lots of shock which make my running easier on the body, so I dont subconciously 'hold back' as much

daan69 said:
i dont run, because my knees are already going bad, and im already diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee....... I dont see why people claim that running is good for your body... the amount of stress it puts on your knees and achilles tendon is unreal.... i read somewhere that every time your foot hits the ground it sends 1000's of pounds of pressure right up your achilles tendon...

make sure when your running outside that you run on the crest of the road, and not on the side.... make sure its level.... also buy shoes with better support.... make sure you buy them later in the evening, because your feet swell up to an extra size or so after you have been walking on them all day
You are absolutely right my friend. People think running is good for the body because that's what they've been told over and over again. Another dumb reason is because the "runners" which most of them are women, think that if they lift weights then they will get huge and bulky and muscular and that's not what they want.
They are doing twice the work running that treadmill and getting half the results they would from lifting weights.
Running is bad on the knees, and they talk about it all the time on tv. But the people still do it. I can get just as much cardio having sex as someone else running and probably burn more calories.
The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn in the long run. With running, you're just doing more work.

I personally run a lot better outdoors than on a treadmill - but I'm willing to bet that it's the cold that is affecting you the most. If you've ever been REALLY cold, especially when wet, then you know how much strength it drains from you. I dress pretty warm to start and then just shed a layer or unzip the sweatshirt or remove the beenie or something like that to cool down when I heat up. But it takes a lot more than a mile to get warm when it's cold outside.

putin said:
You are absolutely right my friend. People think running is good for the body because that's what they've been told over and over again.
and it is generally good for the body. it is excellent cardiovascular exercise. some of us need to be especially aware of our cardiovascular health (due to genetic factors)

Another dumb reason is because the "runners" which most of them are women
you can't back up this statement.

They are doing twice the work running that treadmill and getting half the results they would from lifting weights.
complete different goals. no one runs to get bigger.

Running is bad on the knees, and they talk about it all the time on tv.
yeah, because if tv says it, it must be true :rolleyes:. if you've never run before and you suddenly go out 4 miles/day then yes, you could definitely get knee problems. just like if you've never squatted before and you dive in without building up to it.

I can get just as much cardio having sex as someone else running and probably burn more calories.
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
30 min of sex = 216 cals
30 min of running 7mph = 587 cals
(@ 225 lbs)

basically, you seem to be ill informed. you're just like the kind of person that says you shouldn't do squats because it could kill your knees and back. of course, if you are trying to put on mad weight, you want to do as ltitle extra activity as possible. many of us are interested in other things than just gaining, though (leaning up, staying in good cardio shape for sports, etc)

The treadmill assists you while you run. The rotating belt tends to limit the involvement of the hip and hamstring muscles, also known as the hip extensors. When you run outside, you need to apply that force to the ground yourself without any help.

Goat Ass said:
and it is generally good for the body. it is excellent cardiovascular exercise. some of us need to be especially aware of our cardiovascular health (due to genetic factors)

you can't back up this statement.

complete different goals. no one runs to get bigger.

yeah, because if tv says it, it must be true :rolleyes:. if you've never run before and you suddenly go out 4 miles/day then yes, you could definitely get knee problems. just like if you've never squatted before and you dive in without building up to it.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
30 min of sex = 216 cals
30 min of running 7mph = 587 cals
(@ 225 lbs)

basically, you seem to be ill informed. you're just like the kind of person that says you shouldn't do squats because it could kill your knees and back. of course, if you are trying to put on mad weight, you want to do as ltitle extra activity as possible. many of us are interested in other things than just gaining, though (leaning up, staying in good cardio shape for sports, etc)
If 30min of running at 7mph could burn 587cals, then my wife would look like a fitness model my friend. :rolleyes:
And my point was with women on treadmills...they want to lose weight, but they do that instead of lifting weights of fear they will get bulky. Get what I'm saying? So they think if they run, they will lose weight and not get the bulky muscles.
I cant back up the statement that most runners are women? LifeTime Fitness, 90% of runners on the treadmills are women. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to see that.

I beleive that a good deal of it is mental. Next when your outside its not a perfectly even surface, a pothole hear, some gravel and pebbles over there, a slight uphill you dont even notice with your eye, act. But the thing I belive most is the treadmill absorbs alot of shock which mudge already mentioned.

running burns about 100 calories a mile.
You must lift weights, or at least do a lot
of squats/ lunges to build up your quads
or you will mess up your knees.
I don't know about other women, but I run cause
I don't have the self- discipline to stay in a gym for an hour.
Plus, I'm always losing count of my reps.......

Back