IGF-1 info by Dave Polumbo

JohnnyB

Community Veteran
Posted by Crankin'steiN at Percision Muscle

IGF-1, as the name implies, is an extremely anabolic hormone that has insulin-like actions (i.e. it shuttles nutrients, specifically amino acids and glucose, into the muscle cells where they can be synthesized into new muscle tissue.) When bodybuilders take growth hormone injections, they are not injecting a pure growth stimulus - they are taking a stimululating or releasing factor. It is for this reason that high dosing of GH is not necessarily going to result in more growth. Growth is limited by the amount of IGF-1 the liver can produce in response to any given dosage of GH. IGF-1 has been synthetically synthesized (using similar technology as that used to make GH) to circumvent the shortcomings that are associated with GH-mediated IGF-1 production in the liver. If we try to maxamize the output of IGF-1 in order to further increase muscle mass, it becomes much easier to just administer IGF-1 directly. In persuit of this goal, scientists began to study the pysiology and pharmacology of the hormone IGF-1. What they found was that IGF-1 circulates in the bloodstream (99 percent) bound to specific binding proteins. It is the remaining unbound or free (1 percent) of the IGF-1 that causes the anticipated muscle cell hyperplasia. (The bound 99 percent is essentially wasted).In order to combat this phenomenon of the binding proteins "stealing" our precious IGF-1, scientists have chemically altered the original IGF-1 molecule and have added chemically bound side chains, thus creating a new hormone known as LONG R3 IGF-1. (The long R3 refers to the three long side chains that have been added to the original molecule). These large, space-occupying, side chains are attached to the IGF-1 molecule to prevent these blood born binding proteins from "snatching" up and inactivating the IGF-1. For the last several years, most bodybuilders who were privy enough to get their hands on synthetically produced IGF-1 have been using the Long R3 IGF-1 variety thinking it will last longer in your body (12 hours opposed to 20 minutes). Also, that more of it will be available (unbound) to help build and repair muscle. The theory is essentially correct, however, what bodybuilders started noticing after extended usage of Long R3 IGF-1 was that it stopped working as effectively after about 4 weeks.
I began to keep notes and I worked out a system by which bodybuilders would inject Long R3 IGF-1 [about 10-20 mcg] within 15 mins following a workout so the IGF-1 could circulate and locate these newly produced IGF-1 receptors on the damaged muscle cell membranes. (These new receptors appear as a direct result of damage induced by intense weight training and muscular trauma). It is at these damaged cells that the body increases the number of IGF-1 recpetors so it can signal where the muscle repairs must be performed. (This is why muscle cells grow, preferentially, and not bone tissue or internal organs, as rumoured).
However, as the dosage of IGF-1 increases above the suggested 10-20mcg per day, the IGF-1 muscle cell receptors become saturated and now all this excess IGF-1 goes straight to the highest naturally occuring concentration of IGF-1 receptors - The extremisties (i.e feet, hands and facial bones). Thereby, side effects such as shoe and hand size increases and facial bone thickening can occur. Additionally, high Long R3 IGF-1 dosing will lead to decreases in muscle cell IGF-1 receptors, thus diminishing the results seen with Long R3 IGF-1 usage over time. In summation, empiracal evidence has shown that 10-20mcg per day of Long R3 IGF-1 causes significant muscle cell hyperplasia and will continue to do so extremely effectively for approximately 30 days.
Even with conservative amounts of Long R3 IGF-1, the hormone still stops functioning after a perios of time. Therefore, I usually suggest that bodybuilders take a two to four week "holiday" off the Long R3 IGF-1 after every 30 day course of administration.

JohnnyB

Great article.........thre only thing that stands out as a subject of controversy is "the hormone still stops functioning after a period of time, therefore, I usually suggest that bodybuilders take a two to four week "holiday" off the Long R3 IGF-1 after every 30 day course of administration."

I believe there are better/more optimal ways to cycle this stuff.

I've always heard of cycling on and off in 30 day intervals, is that what your talking about?

JohnnyB

Informative post JohnnyB, though is there any supplementary threads in this or any other forum that have additional info on IGF-1?

I like the idea of doing it post w/o, hey if this works 1mg could last 2 and a half months at 5 on 2 off.

JohnnyB

jmul508 said:
Informative post JohnnyB, though is there any supplementary threads in this or any other forum that have additional info on IGF-1?
Just wanted to bump my question back up

Can anyone here throw in some personal experience as to dosage and effect? I've read posts around the net of people using in excess of 60mcg/day....so correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that gains aren't totaly dose dependant? Of course everyone reacts differently to different compounds and substances, but is the effect much different if you were to run 20mcg as opposed to 50-60mcgs? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this article.

jmul508 said:

There has been a lot of discussion about Long IGF-1 R3 on this board. If you run a search you should find several threads.

BTW, very interesting article.

Just igf-1 IBP3 I went up to 240 mcg/day. (120mcg preworkout and 120mcg before bed)I don't know what kind is circulating these days but mine came from a research lab that had to be reconstituted with hcl water, then frozen until ready to use.
I refuse to believe that the liquid stuff in BA water retains ANY potency and it does need an acidic evironment that is also not present in the liquid stuff. I think igf is not real stable if everything is done right.

Alone the first 3 weeks was the best after that it faded(btw i started off with 60mcg/day and worked up to the above dosage). I got stonger/harder and lost some fat. I liked it but it didn't last long enough to be really too useful.
I also was sleepy a lot but didn't have that drol kinda tired feeling. If there was some way to keep antigens from building so damn quickly it would've been great!
I also did it with gh. gh was 9iu/day igf @ 120mcg/day divided pre & post. Loved it but was on that and so much other stuff I don't know what was working. I know I had no aches or pain and was making pb constantly.
I wish I could remember all my experience with it but it was awhile back. I remeber I really started getting freaked out about getting tumor growth in my intestines.

Here's some info on reconstructing LR3 IGF-1

Long™R3IGF-I
Recombinant analog of human insulin growth factor-I

CATALOG NO. 85580

Description

Long™R3IGF-I is a recombinant analog of human insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) that has been specifically engineered for the enhancement of cell culture performance. Long™R3IGF-I is more biologically potent in vitro than either insulin or native IGF-I and has been documented to
significantly increase recombinant protein production. It is ideal for both research and large-scale culture systems utilizing serum-free or low-level serum applications. Long™R3IGF-I is effective in any cell that contains type I IGF receptors, including most Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) lines, hybridomas and fibroblasts. Long™R3IGF-I is produced in a patented E. coli expression system without the use of animal-derived components.

Precautions

This product is for research/laboratory use. THIS PRODUCT
IS NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN OR THERAPEUTIC USE.

Storage

Long™R3IGF-I in lyophilized form should be stored at 2 to 8 C and is stable for at least 3 years. Liquid solutions of Long™R3IGF-I (prepared as described below) can be stored
at 2 to 8 C and are stable for at least 2 years.

Preparation Instructions

1. Long™R3IGF-I is supplied lyophilized in an atmosphere of nitrogen at a slight vacuum (-25 kPa). Remove the metal cap from the glass vial and introduce an air filled syringe
through the septum to equalize the pressure.

2. Add sufficient 10 mM HCl or 100 mM acetic acid solution to the vial to achieve a peptide concentration of at least 0.1 mg/mL. Concentrations of 1 mg/mL or more are recommended.

3. Mix the solution thoroughly to insure the peptide is completely dissolved.

4. Filtration of a Long™R3IGF-I solution or a culture medium after the addition of Long™R3IGF-I should be performed using a low protein-binding membrane such as Polyvinyl Idene Flouride (PVDF), Poly Ethylene Sulfite (PES) or Cellulose Acetate (CA).

Methods for Use

Once Long™R3IGF-I has been reconstituted, it can then be added directly to cell culture medium. A titration of Long™R3IGF-I should be performed for each different application as the optimum concentration may vary depending upon the cell type used and other components present in the medium. The recommended final concentration range of Long™R3IGF-I is 10 to 50 µg/L (or ng/mL). Because Long™R3IGF-I and insulin may compete for the same cell receptors, the effectiveness of Long™R3IGF-I will be masked if it is added in conjunction with commonly employed concentrations of insulin (1 to 10 mg/L). However, inclusion of physiological levels of insulin (5 to 10 µg/L) in cell culture medium containing the recommended levels of
Long™R3IGF-I results in beneficial synergistic effects in certain applications.

Characteristics

Appearance
White powder

Molecular weight
9110 ± 2 daltons (Mass spectroscopy)

Endotoxin
< 0.1 EU/µg

Biological Activity
ED50 < 10 ng/mL (Bioassay assessing the stimulation of
protein synthesis in L6 myoblasts)

Identity/Consistency
Confirmed by N-terminal sequence analysis and HPLC

References
1. Francis, G., et al. J. Mol. Endocrinol. (1992) 8:213.
2. Thomas, J., Fung, V. Animal Cell Technology: Products of
Today, Prospects for Tomorrow (1993) 91.
3. Morris, A., Schmid, J. Biotechnol. Prog. (2000) 16:693.

Last edited:
Back