I'm done... my arms WILL NOT GROW 20 inch gain in muscle 0.5 inch gain in arms

You simply gotta gain more weight. I'm about your height and I would look anorexic at 210lbs.

I remember when I wanted bigger forearms! I trained them four times a day. It was a win win. Working the muscle more frequently works. Went through lot of lube though.

If you can pull 4 wheels for a dead lift, then your forearms will have grown. Along with your traps, hips, hams etc. fairly new lifters get caught up trying to isolate before the base is built.
Heavy compounds moves build the base

View attachment 566233
'arm' days are a waste of time.

Now that is a stupid statement, hurtful and selfish at best to those , like myself that work the shit out of my arms and never had gotten big. Good aesthetics looking but rather small.

However I could say the same about shoulders when I only worked them once a week , or even could ship shoulder day.

View attachment 566231

Three days a week for arms
Once a week ... for shoulders :flame:

One more thing to prove about genetics . i'm the no trap wonder lol :(

Last edited:
ok guy, my position remains the same and all my old pt clients benefited from it. most people work arms too much. you grow when you rest. the vast majority of us would be better off with a push pull leg split the recycles every 5-6 days.

ok guy, my position remains the same and all my old pt clients benefited from it. most people work arms too much. you grow when you rest. the vast majority of us would be better off with a push pull leg split the recycles every 5-6 days.

So we agree to disagree. What is good for one may not be good for the other guy. I call it different genetics within ones body :)

I'm 5'7 at 190 and started at 16.5 and got to 18.2 arms in about 1 year.Goal was 19 at one point but had another lagging bodypart to bring up.(legs)...I do this with the legs and my legs respond.

You tried everything but train them everyday?

This is what I did with my arms,,,,

Volumes of reps in the 13-16 ranges and at least 30 minutes on just the arms.Plenty of rest.Force Blood into it.I would do 2 sets of Biceps then go over the Triceps and do another 2 sets then go back and forth for half an hour between biceps and triceps..sometimes it took an hour but that would be me at that peak which I would hold around 5 days then back down to 45 minutes then to 30 minutes.Take About 1.5 minutes between sets.I would train them Everyday and leaving other bodyparts out...All the workouts would be just arms for 6-9 months.Rather than burnout totally from all the bodyparts,I would just do one bodypart.(Biceps and triceps)..that's it........When you start mixing in your diet and protein powders,you will then feel your arms explode.

As a kid when I didn't have a gym I would get 2 chairs facing each other and spread them apart and put my feet on one of them and my arms on the other and do triceps extensions.I did that 5 days a week and got big arms in the Summer.Just lots of arms triceps extension about 90% almost to failure.About 3 sets.

Try those.

Last edited:
I'm 6 ft 243-250, arms 18-1/2 cold. I always had big arms though almost 16 inch in 8th grade. I hit my arms twice a week one day free weights the second day machines/cables. 4-5 sets per exercise. And I alternate between high reps 15-25 range to heavyweight 8-12 range. Also sometimes I will just throw in 5-6 sets on my triceps at the end of other workout days.

Like some of you guys posted triceps are two thirds of your arm size.

View attachment 566233

Now that is a stupid statement, hurtful and selfish at best to those , like myself that work the shit out of my arms and never had gotten big. Good aesthetics looking but rather small.

However I could say the same about shoulders when I only worked them once a week , or even could ship shoulder day.

View attachment 566231

Three days a week for arms
Once a week ... for shoulders :flame:

One more thing to prove about genetics . i'm the no trap wonder lol :(

Hey mike is that you when you were younger in those pics?

i have respect for all the bros who have responded to this thread but tbonexl has it right. that post is reality. imo try to get those arms more defined. bi's, tri's forearms, delts. weights low poundage high reps, swimming, pullups, pushups, dips, gymnastics etc. everywhere i go folks think i have huge arms. the truth is my arms are smaller than my workout partners it's just they are so defined they look bigger. it's all about illusion.

i have respect for all the bros who have responded to this thread but tbonexl has it right. that post is reality. imo try to get those arms more defined. bi's, tri's forearms, delts. weights low poundage high reps, swimming, pullups, pushups, dips, gymnastics etc. everywhere i go folks think i have huge arms. the truth is my arms are smaller than my workout partners it's just they are so defined they look bigger.it's all about illusion.

AKA synthol

'arm' days are a waste of time.

Probably the worst statement that I have read in a while. If you don't work both tris and bis 2 days per week minimum, you are leaving growth on the table. The only exception to this would be powerlifting in which case arm growth is not as important.

Muscles don't grow when you rest. I've never had a pump while resting. My muscles grow while working them. You need a pump to get blood in the muscle which helps to feed it. This in turn breaks it down and volumizes the muscle cells.
Resting rebuilds muscle fibers that are broken down while exercising. The muscle can't rebuild unless it is broken down by exercise. The 2 combined build muscle.

Last edited:
I don't usually have am arm day, but genetics blessed me with decent size to start. I find overworking arms gives me tendon issues, and I'm closing in on 50 which probably contributes.

That said, if you can support the extra work joint wise, I don't see a problem hitting arms at least 2x if not 3x per week. They are smaller muscles and heal rather quickly once they get used to the added volume. Be sure and incorporate different rep schemes to overload the fibers.
Aka drop sets, forced reps, negatives etc

Similar to what Primoballin mentioned above.

Slow, controlled negatives @ 4 seconds each rep. Have someone spot you to get the weight up after you get to traditional failure so you can keep at it with the negatives. We're naturally stronger on the negative portion of the rep, so a spotter is crucial.

Rest pause and drop sets are useful. Limit the drop sets to once in a while. Rest pause can be every workout.

Cut the volume to a set or two per arm workout. But increase the frequency to every 4-5 days.

Keep trying to overload your bi's with either more weight, or an extra rep or two every time you perform the same biceps movement.

Back