I'm stepping on stage soon - so why Pilates?

bigben66

A few people have asked me why I have incorporated Pilates into my pre-contest prep…. Here’s why.

Physique competitors are judged on aesthetics alone, it’s not all down to who has the most muscle, it’s purely who has the most balanced physique, a body that makes you think “Wow, that guy/gal is in awesome shape!”

One of the most important aspects that judges look for in a competitor, are a great waist to shoulder ratio, that classic v-taper, with broad shoulders and lats - filtering down a lean and narrow midsection.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of over-training my abdominal muscles, which resulted in a blocky and chunky waist, albeit topped with big chunky abs.
I used resistance with everything I did and although my abs looked impressive, my waist went up a few inches and I lost all mobility and flexibility in my trunk.
This in turn switched my inner core muscles off and if left long enough would have resulted in poor posture.

Fortunately I have addressed this concern, simply by dropping abs totally from my repertoire, and starting to refocus on my inner core stability and strength.

Pilates is a great way of switching those core muscles back on and tightening up that waist, I have managed to lose three inches off my waist in the last 4 weeks – obviously my diet is the fundamental reason for this adjustment, but the pilates will have certainly added to those results.

I am finding now that my v-taper is coming in nicely, my abs and obliques are pronounced but not ‘in your face’ – and more importantly I now have the core strength to hold the poses in the quarter turns without my whole body shaking.

Do many competitors use Pilates?
No, I’d say a very small minority actually.
But for my goals, my weaknesses and for my general well-being – I decided to think outside the box and incorporate it. I’m glad I did!

Too many people look for a carbon-copy to follow when it comes to achieving their desired look. Instead they need to take a good long pessimistic look in the mirror – and perhaps even take on board a point-of-view from a neutral observer – before assessing what needs to be done.

Unorthodox measures often bring the richest rewards!

Train clever!

I've been reading and watching alot of people lately that are incorporating movement coaches into their routines. Alot of mma fighters are doing it and it seems to be helping

I do yoga every Monday. Similar results but different starting reasons.

I go because all the hot chicks from my office go. When the instructor (also hot) scissored behind another lady.....every guy in the office was hard in 0.000053 seconds

I do yoga every Monday. Similar results but different starting reasons.

I go because all the hot chicks from my office go. When the instructor (also hot) scissored behind another lady.....every guy in the office was hard in 0.000053 seconds

Lol, Well I'm in, now going to go and see if there are any yoga classes around my neighborhood. ;)

Yoga is seriously the bomb. I wouldn't out Pilates either after figuring out what I did with Yoga.

Nice read Ben, I'll be looking into this. I have horrible trunk flexibility and thick blocky abs myself. Not as large as yours of course.. but to scale!

Yoga is seriously the bomb. I wouldn't out Pilates either after figuring out what I did with Yoga.

Nice read Ben, I'll be looking into this. I have horrible trunk flexibility and thick blocky abs myself. Not as large as yours of course.. but to scale!

If you are going to give it a try, I suggest trying a few 30-40 mins sessions on YouTube before joining a class...
I'd also recommend investing in a swiss ball and a pilates ring/circle as helpful extras to these sessions.

It goes without saying that you'll need to drop conventional ab training while you do this to avoid over training the midsection and surrounding areas.

You WON'T regret it!

Never actually done Pilates, but it would be hard for me to get over the marketing and the claims they make.

Pilates is well know for elongating muscles. It's also compound movements and low impact. I think it's a great addition to any program. Props to you guys doing yoga. It is also a great addition. Stay healthy guys and have fun. That's the important thing that you are enjoying what you are doing and if it put you in a class with hot women all the better.

Awesome BB and I agree w DPR...you we they gotta keep it interesting.
I ll readily admit I went to a Pilates class 2 yr s ago and in 4- 5 ms was DONE...totally a whole new approach...I was shaking like a shell shock victim.

THE THOUGHT OF THE WOMEN THOUGH...NEED TO CHECK THE SCHEDULE...

Back