Importance of Sleep Question

madenj

Living the dream
I know good sleep is very important when you are trying to build you body. My girlfriend thinks I'm a hypochondriac because I'm always worried something is wrong with me. I've always been one of those people who doesn't need that much sleep to function and feel good. But lately and even before I started my cycle I haven't been sleeping that well. I have no problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. My question is how important is good solid sleep when it comes to building muscle and losing fat. Does not sleeping well effect your metabolism? I used to wake up hungry every night but a protein shake before bed seems to help me with that. I don't want to take any narcotics or any drugs because that is just a temporary solution to a long term problem. It's not to the point where it's affecting my daily life, but if you tell me its going to make it harder to reach my goals then I would say it's worth looking into for me. Thanks guys

Sleep assists with everything. If you are not staying asleep you may not be reaching REM sleep which is when HGH is released. Have you tried melatonin?

I know good sleep is very important when you are trying to build you body. My girlfriend thinks I'm a hypochondriac because I'm always worried something is wrong with me. I've always been one of those people who doesn't need that much sleep to function and feel good. But lately and even before I started my cycle I haven't been sleeping that well. I have no problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. My question is how important is good solid sleep when it comes to building muscle and losing fat. Does not sleeping well effect your metabolism? I used to wake up hungry every night but a protein shake before bed seems to help me with that. I don't want to take any narcotics or any drugs because that is just a temporary solution to a long term problem. It's not to the point where it's affecting my daily life, but if you tell me its going to make it harder to reach my goals then I would say it's worth looking into for me. Thanks guys

Not enough sleep is associated with increased catabolic hormone release from adrenal cortex making you more likely to catabolize muscle and store fat in bad places like gut and viscera.

Before looking at dope to sleep take a good look at some of the habbits you have. Make sure no caffeine after 3:00, dont watch tv in bed. A woman i work with comes in complaining about not sleeping well cant figure out why. Turns out she sleeps on the floor (she has a bed) infront of the tv which is on all night????

If you want to sleep on the floor fine but turn the tv and lights off. Turn off the cell phone. Limit light. Light stimulates the photo receptor cells in the eyes (even when lids close) and tells brain to wake up.

I like valerian for occasional probs sleeping. Fuck the sedative hypnotic drugs. Way to addictive. I cant go there anymore. After about 2 weeks of use it gets hard to come off.

Sleep assists with everything. If you are not staying asleep you may not be reaching REM sleep which is when HGH is released. Have you tried melatonin?

^^^agree with this for sure. You need to get into the deep stages of the sleep cycle and stay there. ONe of the issues with many of the sleep drugs is they inhibit REM sleep and lead to a rapid cycle of deep and light stages. This is especially true of the bezodiazepines like restoril, valium, xanax, ativan etc and the antihistamines (nonselective) like diphenhydramine (benadryl).

One of the good things about ambien is that it does not inhibit REM, but the addiction issues makes it not worth it imo.

Most people can effectively address sleep issues with improving the habits surrounding sleep. It is something that has to be worked for in the adult population. We cant drink pots of coffee and pop stimulants, listen to rage metal lay down on the carpet with oprah on all night and expect to sleep good while texting, listening to the ipod and checking emails:dj:

stay awake for 2 days. Then pass out at your normal time. Make it so you dont have any interruptions. Repeat a few times... you'll get a normal sleeping habit.

thanks tony..lol Yeah I wanna try this melatonin stuff. Cause I do have good habits. I don't smoke, drink, or do any drugs, not even caffeine. I though it would correct itself when I stepped my game up at the gym. I figured more exercise, good diet, and vitamins daily my sleep would gradually get better. Like I said I have no problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. I used to think I was waking up cause I was hungry, but that is not the case anymore. Nate and Blondie, that really makes sense to me cause for the past few months I've maintained a very strict diet, do at least 30 min of cardio til my shirt is soaked almost everyday. And I don't think I am that much leaner. My weight has stayed pretty much the same +3lbs, but I think/hope that it's muscle I've gained. I'm probably just obsessed, but I don't want my body to have any excuse to not do what I want it to.

thanks tony..lol Yeah I wanna try this melatonin stuff. Cause I do have good habits. I don't smoke, drink, or do any drugs, not even caffeine. I though it would correct itself when I stepped my game up at the gym. I figured more exercise, good diet, and vitamins daily my sleep would gradually get better. Like I said I have no problem falling asleep, just staying asleep. I used to think I was waking up cause I was hungry, but that is not the case anymore. Nate and Blondie, that really makes sense to me cause for the past few months I've maintained a very strict diet, do at least 30 min of cardio til my shirt is soaked almost everyday. And I don't think I am that much leaner. My weight has stayed pretty much the same +3lbs, but I think/hope that it's muscle I've gained. I'm probably just obsessed, but I don't want my body to have any excuse to not do what I want it to.

good to hear man, another thing is overtraining will present as sleep problems frequently. May want to take a look at that. Sometimes a few days off are a great thing. Years ago before i figured out that one doesn't grow in the gym I was abusing mself with these marathon workouts. Started having serious problems sleeping. Cut back and it got better. Just about finding a good balance

I think Nate nailed it, I have been guilty of overtraining myself and experienced a bunch of problems from it. One of them was being unable to sleep through the night. Once I realized what I thought the cause was I took a week off and got back on track. I believe in the everything in moderation theory.

So I been taking melatonin before bed everynight for a while. Leme tell you what, I may not be sleeping all night long still, but I must be getting into REM cause I'm having THE most crazy fucked up dreams, So cool though. I love it.

So I been taking melatonin before bed everynight for a while. Leme tell you what, I may not be sleeping all night long still, but I must be getting into REM cause I'm having THE most crazy fucked up dreams, So cool though. I love it.

I have atrocious sleep patterns. Trying to fix it, but life is life...

Anyway I was going to mention any HGH boosting supplement worth anything that I have taken usually helps me ALOT when it comes to sleep.

I remember about 3 years ago I was taking one, and at about 5-6 hours a night I felt amazing, and if I took a 20 minute nap during the day that 20 minute nap felt like about 3 hours. I liked it, alot...plus raging boners every time I woke up.

I have atrocious sleep patterns. Trying to fix it, but life is life...

Anyway I was going to mention any HGH boosting supplement worth anything that I have taken usually helps me ALOT when it comes to sleep.

I remember about 3 years ago I was taking one, and at about 5-6 hours a night I felt amazing, and if I took a 20 minute nap during the day that 20 minute nap felt like about 3 hours. I liked it, alot...plus raging boners every time I woke up.

Really? Which one? Because I was given the free trial of HGH factor and it didn't do shit. I just woke up about 20 min ago. Went to bed last night after 12, I may have got 3 hours last night. I wake up every morning and It feels like a hangover, head ache, freezing, etc.

Depression and stress are also major factors in sleep loss/night time awakenings (as is having a big prostate and having to pee 3-4 times a night) if sleep hygiene is right and over the counter medications are not helping.

Last edited:
I am about to start taking a Sermorlin shot one a night before bed. Sermorelin is a HGH releasing agent. My doc prescribed one 300mcg sub Q shot each night.

I have been having issues with sleep as well. I have no problem falling asleep but I wait up serveral times a night.

I will keep you posted as to how this Sermorelin works

Well I think I figured out what was sabotaging my sleeping. I take so many vitamins and supps I figured I would take some at night and some in the am. By process of elimination I found that Fish Oil before bed must have been stimulating my metabolism or something cause the past 3 nights I haven't taken it at night and Ive been sleeping okay. Does that make any sense or am I crazy?

Not enough sleep is associated with increased catabolic hormone release from adrenal cortex making you more likely to catabolize muscle and store fat in bad places like gut and viscera.

Before looking at dope to sleep take a good look at some of the habbits you have. Make sure no caffeine after 3:00, dont watch tv in bed. A woman i work with comes in complaining about not sleeping well cant figure out why. Turns out she sleeps on the floor (she has a bed) infront of the tv which is on all night????

If you want to sleep on the floor fine but turn the tv and lights off. Turn off the cell phone. Limit light. Light stimulates the photo receptor cells in the eyes (even when lids close) and tells brain to wake up.

I like valerian for occasional probs sleeping. Fuck the sedative hypnotic drugs. Way to addictive. I cant go there anymore. After about 2 weeks of use it gets hard to come off.

Ha! and nothing puts me to sleep like a tv (shows watched over internet since i gave up on cable long time ago) I cant go to sleep without a movie on...i got few dvd's that i like to play on b4 bed or i run a movie on netflix and i can fell asleep witheen 10 min...i tried to fell asleep without tv few times and i just couldnt i guess it depends on the person.

My friend that is good with that stuff told me practicing meditation is grate for sleep problems and that people that cant sleep just think too much? If you can get your mind to go blank for few min you can fell asleep easily...anyways im good with the usual dose of long boring chick flicks that put me to sleep like nothing else

Zero, what hgh boosters did you try? There is nothing wrong with waking up with a raging boner lol

Really? Which one? Because I was given the free trial of HGH factor and it didn't do shit. I just woke up about 20 min ago. Went to bed last night after 12, I may have got 3 hours last night. I wake up every morning and It feels like a hangover, head ache, freezing, etc.

The one that did it for me was IGF-2 from AppNut.

I was taking Drive, RPM, IGF-2. It was one of my first supplement regimes, but the IGF-2...

Sleep was pretty sick. Dreams, vivid dreams. Raging boners in the morning. Which even at 21 I didnt really have anymore. And at work I would take a 10 minute nap stretched out across chairs during one of my breaks. Man it felt like 2 hours. I liked the stuff.

It is pill heavy though. 2 in the morning, 2 mid day, 2 before bed. ANND there was a catch.

During the first 5 days I felt lethargic and dead tired all day until my system adjsuted. After that, like I said even if I only caught a few hours I felt amazing...

I think I need to make an order actually, stuff is still out and supposedly has been improved...hmmm

One thing you might wanna look into is methods of calming your mind - often we can't go to sleep because we can't just stop thinking of stuff. Try to just force yourself to stop thinking, or just count up to 1000. Force yourself not to toss and turn also. Some more hints - no caffeine 6-7 hours before you sleep, no electronics at least an hour before you sleep.

Back