Inner & Outer Bi's

What?

Who is Mike Jones? said:
bi's are bi's and there is nothing you can do to target inner or outer

I don't get all this stuff about you can't shape your muscles. Bis are bis, Do rows to build you arms.
If you don't believe this then do it one time. Just one time with serious intent and come back to me and tell me I'm full of it.

Take a straight olympic bar, add a few pounds do three sets of 6-8 reps standing curls. No backswing. Elbows slightly out. Use very little weight if you have to. This isolates the inner part of the bi.

Take an inverted curl, add at least 25s, i use 45s, on each side. Stand, legs bent slightly, elbows in tight and don't move them no matter what!
Do three sets 4-6 reps. This isolates the top of the bi.

the thing about bi, that most people wants...is the peak and the thickness...and the width. whatever that is....unless you're getting stronger in your lifts...them bis ain't going nowhere.

mustanged77 said:
I don't get all this stuff about you can't shape your muscles. Bis are bis, Do rows to build you arms.
If you don't believe this then do it one time. Just one time with serious intent and come back to me and tell me I'm full of it.

Take a straight olympic bar, add a few pounds do three sets of 6-8 reps standing curls. No backswing. Elbows slightly out. Use very little weight if you have to. This isolates the inner part of the bi.

Take an inverted curl, add at least 25s, i use 45s, on each side. Stand, legs bent slightly, elbows in tight and don't move them no matter what!
Do three sets 4-6 reps. This isolates the top of the bi.
Its a mechanical movement. The bi pulls the forearm up. You simply, physically, cannot "target the upper bi" because the load is transfered to the whole damn thing. If you figured out a way to isolate a axial mechanical load at a specific point of your choosing on something that is attached at two ends (your bicep) - you have a fucking PhD level dissertation on your hands. Youd make a lot of structural engineers RICH.

Sorry, only a Masters

No PhD. Just a Masters in Marine Biology. I teach Biology, Marine Biology and Human Anatomy. I have an extensive background in Physics, Mathmatics, and Organic Chemistry. I was Educated at the University of North Carolina in Charlotte.

Human Anatomy 101: No muscle is one solid piece. Striated muscles(your bis are one of them) are composed of hundreds, sometimes thousands of seperate muscle fibers. One fiber is a Myrofibril made of many sperate fibers called sarcomeres.

BodyBuilding 101: Muscle isolation is key

Advanced bodybuilding 101: Muscle fiber isolation can be achieved by applying force at different angles on one single muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Skeletal_muscle.jpg

I'll be over here with my 3 dimensional arms if you have anymore questions. :wavey:

mustanged77 said:
No PhD. Just a Masters in Marine Biology. I teach Biology, Marine Biology and Human Anatomy. I have an extensive background in Physics, Mathmatics, and Organic Chemistry. I was Educated at the University of North Carolina in Charlotte.

Human Anatomy 101: No muscle is one solid piece. Striated muscles(your bis are one of them) are composed of hundreds, sometimes thousands of seperate muscle fibers. One fiber is a Myrofibril made of many sperate fibers called sarcomeres.

BodyBuilding 101: Muscle isolation is key

Advanced bodybuilding 101: Muscle fiber isolation can be achieved by applying force at different angles on one single muscle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Skeletal_muscle.jpg

I'll be over here with my 3 dimensional arms if you have anymore questions. :wavey:
which explains why the abercrombie curling crew, hitting their biceps from every possible angle imaginable don't sport 20" arms on 150lb geek frames.

Don't give bodybuilders a bad name

silver_shadow said:
which explains why the abercrombie curling crew, hitting their biceps from every possible angle imaginable don't sport 20" arms on 150lb geek frames.

No, but thats why professional bodybuilders and many well known Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) gurus
are well educated, intelligent and built like you will never be.

I hardly believe that people on this forum only do one exercise per body part.
Because thats all you would have to do according to the logic put forth here.

And by the way, I sport 17" arms at 175-180lbs. I will post pics when I'm almost done with this cycle in a couple of weeks.

This is common knowledge. I can't believe I actually have to defend these statements.

And I use boring, basic exercises for my bis: Concentration dumbell curls, standing olympic bar curls, and standing inverted bar curls.

I've been doing these since 1989, when I first walked into Ricky Steamboats Gym of Professional Wrestlers in Charlotte NC. at the age of 19. And I was a lot less than 150lbs. I learned the basics from the best in the area.
No Ballys with a trainer named Rico. Old pro wrestlers; Rick Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Ivan the Terrible and all those old school wrestlers of the day.
The gym was nothing but a big garage full of free weights, chains, ropes and black and white photos of old school bodybuilders, Arnold, Mentzer, Everson and wrestlers.
When I asked, "How do you get big bis?" they said "curls"
When I asked "how do you get big tris?" they said, "pulldowns, skull crushers"
When I asked " How do get big legs?" they said, "squats" I said, how about leg extensions" they said "NO! Squats!"

I know the foundations of bodybuilding. But at this point I am a little more advanced in my techniques.
I don't do weird positions and freaky stuff that is a complete waste of time.

I do suttle changes to age old techniques. A slight change in my grip and the angle I pull up. An entire wrist flex during concentration curls. An inverted bar and a straight olympian bar for standing curls. No back swing, total concentration on muscle isolation. This is how you shape muscle using basic movements. This is not new!
There are plenty of guys on this forum who are bigger and stronger than me.
But I have taken my knowledge and persistent hard work to take advantage
of my unlikely genetic potential, through smart training, dieting, and the science of AAS, to build a body that I am very proud of. At the age of 39, I look better than I ever have in my life.
If anyone wants to waste their time on this forum and argue about physics, and science, and comparing intelligence and wisdom to being a geek then bring it on. I get paid vey well in my profession to do this all day! :shoot2:

mustanged77 said:

QUOTE]

You can come to the gym and watch me do 1 exercise/body part. Thats all I do!

I'd love to

Well Easto I'd love to come to the gym and watch you. But its probably to far. I'll take your word for it!
If thats what you do, and it works for you, then I stand corrected!

And what direction do these fibers run in?

Lets not get too caught up with some micro-analysis of the fibers anyways, because you can model the bicep pretty simply. Its attached at 2 ends, and for your sake of argument, yes its made up of "sometimes thousands" of fibers running in the same axial direction. Wont matter, they act under stress to contract the bicep, with each attachment bearing equal loading.

You understand this right? They MUST carry equal loading top to bottom, simple as that. The top cannot somehow bear more stress than the bottom. Its impossible.

I will follow that up and say you have an impressive e-resume!!! Dont think im attacking you, I just believe you are wrong about this.

A followup, straight from the link you posted:

"Skeletal muscles usually have one end (the "origin") attached to a relatively stationary bone, (such as the scapula) and the other end (the "insertion") is attached across a joint, to another bone (such as the humerus)."

Im genuinly curious to know what your take is on this. Im down for a higher level discussion if you are.

sometimes..when you see your body parts lagging, you'd think, 'hey, maybe i'm not doing enough for it...maybe i should do more exercise for it to grow.' why not ask yourself first if you're doing heavy enough for that body part....that alone will knock you the fuck out man!

mustanged77 said:
No, but thats why professional bodybuilders and many well known Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) gurus
are well educated, intelligent and built like you will never be.

And by the way, I sport 17" arms at 175-180lbs. I will post pics when I'm almost done with this cycle in a couple of weeks.

This is common knowledge. I can't believe I actually have to defend these statements.

And I use boring, basic exercises for my bis: Concentration dumbell curls, standing olympic bar curls, and standing inverted bar curls.

I've been doing these since 1989, when I first walked into Ricky Steamboats Gym of Professional Wrestlers in Charlotte NC. at the age of 19. And I was a lot less than 150lbs. I learned the basics from the best in the area.
No Ballys with a trainer named Rico. Old pro wrestlers; Rick Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Ivan the Terrible and all those old school wrestlers of the day.
The gym was nothing but a big garage full of free weights, chains, ropes and black and white photos of old school bodybuilders, Arnold, Mentzer, Everson and wrestlers.
When I asked, "How do you get big bis?" they said "curls"
When I asked "how do you get big tris?" they said, "pulldowns, skull crushers"
When I asked " How do get big legs?" they said, "squats" I said, how about leg extensions" they said "NO! Squats!"

I know the foundations of bodybuilding. But at this point I am a little more advanced in my techniques.
I don't do weird positions and freaky stuff that is a complete waste of time.

I do suttle changes to age old techniques. A slight change in my grip and the angle I pull up. An entire wrist flex during concentration curls. An inverted bar and a straight olympian bar for standing curls. No back swing, total concentration on muscle isolation. This is how you shape muscle using basic movements. This is not new!
There are plenty of guys on this forum who are bigger and stronger than me.
But I have taken my knowledge and persistent hard work to take advantage
of my unlikely genetic potential, through smart training, dieting, and the science of AAS, to build a body that I am very proud of. At the age of 39, I look better than I ever have in my life.
If anyone wants to waste their time on this forum and argue about physics, and science, and comparing intelligence and wisdom to being a geek then bring it on. I get paid vey well in my profession to do this all day! :shoot2:
BTW arm size is proportional to your overall size and defined by your genetics. so since you say that you have 17.5" arms on a 175lb body, either you are short or your genetics have allowed you slightly larger arms for your body size (i'm taking your word for it and not assuming you're bullshitting).

it might surprise you but old school isn't about isolation stuff done from every angle - doing it with free weights doesn't make it old school. old school is about building up massive strength with big compound lifts with a small amount of curls thrown in.

the pros you mention are not only on boatloads of gear but also have excellent genetics. the wrestlers don't have fantastic genetics in comparison but are still alot better than the average guy (which includes most of us on this board). plus, the wrestlers lifestyle ensures that they NEED to be on gear to be able to not only recover from being in the ring but also look half way decent because that's what the viewers want. now take your average guy who's natural - have you seen a whole lot of them growing off a diet of curls from every angle. only complete noobs will be able to change their arms with that kind of workout and the moment they become a little more advanced, they'll plateau.

you are very right about the fact that these theories are not new - they are well known. unfortunately, bodybuilding has been flooded with such erroneous ideas all with "scientific theories" backing them when in reality, they just add to the voodoo that are bodybuilding myths. i'm not really into bodybuilding trivia, but i believe it was joe weider who came up with most of these theories. before that, bodybuilding was slightly different from powerlifting. the differences were minute so that bodybuilders were also strongmen and vice versa. today, the majority of bodybuilders have discovered that they can look good by taking boatloads of gear and don't have to be precise with training. powerlifters still have to train the same way (at least the basics don't change for them) because gear or no gear, the SCIENTIFIC method of training which is powerlifting is the only way to become strong. it used to work in the old days and it still works. hell even olympic lifting which is even more technique oriented (and equally scientific) produces pretty good results from an aesthetic point of view.

PS: not everyone here is a meathead like you seem to believe. i am a network architect by profession. i am also a weightlifting enthusiast - some people play tennis for leisure, some golf, my sport is weightlifting.

Silver Shadow I agree with you completely!

Let me clarify a couple of things.
I have 17" arms ( 16 3/4 left, 17 1/8 right) on a 5'7", 175 pound frame, after workout. Very little bodyfat. I don't know the percent.

When I say I work my bis at different angles, if you read carefully, I said it is suttle differences.
Straight bar verses inverted bar.
Elbows in verses elbows out.
Full wrist rotation during dumbell concentration curls- Holding dumbell between you legs with wrist turned all the way back so that the palm of your hand would be facing the floor if you werent gripping the dumbell. When pulling up, rotate your wrist slowly 180 degrees so that your hand is in the postion like when you flex your bis. The wrist should rotate at the same speed as you do the curl. Ever notice you curl your wrist in when flexing your bis. Thats because it gives you the biggest possible peak in your bicep. This exercise helps grow that peak, including a little bit of the forearm too.

These differences help me target the upper peak and the inner bi. The outer bi cannot be targeted because the elbow joint and the shoulder joint do not allow the arm to pivot in that direction. Thats why when your arm is bent it bulges on the inside and not the outside.

I didn't say everyone was a meathead. I was a little offended at you for your refering to me as a geek who didn't understand basic movements.

Hey look man, I'm on alot of gear, Im old, and I teach school all day to smartass High School kids. I get cranky sometimes. Please don't take it personally.

Hey, I'm gonna use that as my quote! lol

Who is Mike Jones? said:
bi's are bi's and there is nothing you can do to target inner or outer

agree.. and mustang no one cares how big you arms are "pumped" that just means you have some oxygen in those babies. what are they cold? If your biceps suck, shoot some synthol in them.

skarhead1 said:
agree.. and mustang no one cares how big you arms are "pumped" that just means you have some oxygen in those babies. what are they cold? If your biceps suck, shoot some synthol in them.

No thanks. I'm starting R3 IGF today. But of course you have missed everything I have said. Its not just the size, its the definition also.

As I have said many times, All the great body builders use more than one movement to give their arms definition. If you know something they don't, I will be glad to hear it. But so far...I'm not hearing it.

Those awesome biceps are all from great geneitcs not how many different angles you hit your biceps. OR synthol. Im sorry you dont see this

mustanged77 said:
Let me clarify a couple of things.
I have 17" arms ( 16 3/4 left, 17 1/8 right) on a 5'7", 175 pound frame, after workout. Very little bodyfat. I don't know the percent.
So do I @ 5'11" 180 very little bf and natural.

I don't do alot of bs for my bi's

Back