Just as important as lifting: Sleeping & REM

PrincessTitty

I know many of us have heard taking Melatonin before bed is a good sleep aid, but I can't find anywhere on the net that says it increases the time we spend in REM sleep mode. If you don't already know, REM is the 'mode' that we grow in, when we are sleeping.

I have found the follwoing vitamins increase our time spent in REM sleep mode....

taking melatonin is not like taking a sleeping pill or even 5-HTP. It will only produce a sedative effect when melatonin levels are low.

Inositol enhances REM sleep. Take 100 mg daily, at bedtime

Here's another suggestion...

5-HTP increases the REM sleep by about twenty-five percent while simultaneously increasing deep-sleep Stages 3 and 4, without increasing total sleep time.

It is important to maintain adequate levels of vitamin B., niacin, and magnesium when using 5-HTP, as these nutrients serve as essential cofactors in the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin.

5- HTP accomplishes this by shortening the amount of time you spend in sleep stages 1 and 2, which in certain ways are the least important stages of the cycle. The higher the dose, the more time spent in REM.

By shifting the balance of the sleep cycle, 5-HTP makes sleep more restful and rejuvenating. Instead of waking feeling tired, worn out, and "hungover," people taking 5- HTP feel vibrant, well rested, and ready to take on the challenges of the day.

P.s. 5-HTP is also used to treat depression by rebuilding low seratonin levels. Now, it seems like a viable night aid. If you are on SSRI's like Zoloft or Paxil, you have to watch your doses with this or not use it at all.

Here's the link:
http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Sleep/sleep_ins_nutrition.htm

Though I think sleeping is very important for overall energy I think it's importance in bb'ing is overrated. We don't need any more or less than the average human being, and the amount we need varies by individual. Many pro's prove that because they have very odd sleeping patterns due to their traveling schedule.

That being said, I would love to spend more time in REMs because I wake up 4-5 times a night for no reason.

That same article i linked mentions that babies spend 80% of their time in REM sleep mode to grow, while the elderly spend 10% of their sleep in REM.

Its not that as bodybuilders, we need more sleep-- its more like we need the same amount of sleep, but more time in REM.

Niclipse said:
That same article i linked mentions that babies spend 80% of their time in REM sleep mode to grow, while the elderly spend 10% of their sleep in REM.

Its not that as bodybuilders, we need more sleep-- its more like we need the same amount of sleep, but more time in REM.

I totally agree, in fact I think almost anyone could benefit from more Rems.

What exactly is this product your talking about ? Is it called 5-HTP? Does it come with the risk of "dependency" ? I'm assuming not really, because technically it's not a sleep aid, it just alters the way you sleep, it doesn't make you tired correct?

Sorry for all the q's, I've just had sleeping problems pretty much since puberty. I've been to sleeping docs and other docs but no one can really seem to help me out...I think I do'nt get enough rems because whether I sleep 5 or 10 hours I wake up tired.

Lucky13 said:
Not sure about rem sleep but recently I added in b12, I now sleep like a rock!

I have :sleep: sleeping problems in the past and when i started taking b12 i noticed i got better sleep as well.

fatrock said:
I have :sleep: sleeping problems in the past and when i started taking b12 i noticed i got better sleep as well.

yeah but make sure you only take the required amounts otherwise with extended use it can mess you up.

5-HTP is the name of the vitamin. It restocks your brain with seratonin (chemical that makes you happy) In conjunction with 5-HTP, you should also take these vitamins nightly, at the same time: (Melatonin, Niacin, Vitamin B Complex: B1, B2, B6, B12, Magnesium, & B5) because 5-HTP feeds off of the B vitamins.

More effective than tryptophan is 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), a form of tryptophan that is one step closer to serotonin administration. 5-HTP has also been found, in several double-blind clinical studies, to decrease the time required to get to sleep and to decrease the number of awakenings. To increase the sedative effects of 5-HTP, take it with a food high in carbohydrate such as fruit or fruit juice near bedtime.

5-HTP increases the REM sleep by about twenty-five percent while simultaneously increasing deep-sleep Stages 3 and 4, without increasing total sleep time.

It is important to maintain adequate levels of vitamin B., niacin, and magnesium when using 5-HTP, as these nutrients serve as essential cofactors in the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin.

And this:

5-HTP

5- HTP provides the quickest, most effective, and most consistent overall results in treating insomnia. it is an effective alternative for dealing with sleep problems in a safe and natural way compared to sleep medicines. 5-HTP improves the quality of sleep. More importantly, clinical studies show that 5- HTP is also useful in the treatment of sleep disorders other than insomnia.

5-HTP increases REM sleep significantly (typically by about 25 percent) while simultaneously increasing deep sleep stages 3 and 4 without increasing total sleep time. 5- HTP accomplishes this by shortening the amount of time you spend in sleep stages 1 and 2, which in certain ways are the least important stages of the cycle. The higher the dose, the more time spent in REM.

By shifting the balance of the sleep cycle, 5-HTP makes sleep more restful and rejuvenating. Instead of waking feeling tired, worn out, and "hungover," people taking 5- HTP feel vibrant, well rested, and ready to take on the challenges of the day. When we sleep more deeply and dream more efficiently, we wake in the morning with our physical and psychological batteries fully charged.

The impact of 5-HTP on sleep stages is dose-related; taking higher doses produces a somewhat greater impact. In most cases, the lower dosage is adequate. Higher doses may lead to a greater number of disturbing dreams and nightmares due to abnormally prolonged REM sleep. It can also lead to mild nausea.

Recommended Dosage: Take 100 to 300 mg, thirty to forty-five minutes before retiring. Start with the lower dose for at least three days, then consider increasing the dose if results are not what you expected.

See Also: Melatonin and 5-HTP

Daily Dosages Summary:

Most Important
Calcium: 1,000 - 2,000 mg daily, in divided doses, after meals and at bedtime.
Magnesium: 500 mg - 1,000 mg daily.
Vitamin B complex: 100 mg

Helpful
Niacin: 100 mg at bedtime
Extra pantothenic acid (vitamin B5): 50 mg daily.
Melatonin: Start with 1.5 mg daily, 2 hours or less before bedtime. If this is not effective, gradually increase the dosage until an effective level is reached (up to 5 mg daily).
or (preferred) 5-HTP 100-300 mg 30-45 minutes before bedtime.
Inositol - 100 mg daily, at bedtime.

Related Topic: Food and Diet Therapy

I look forward to playing around this this concoction because I have been getting piss-poor sleep and would love to be able to get bigger in my sleep, quicker.

Back