Kyle Maynard, Oh No.

dirkdiggler9969

Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard's long road to Saturday's MMA debut - MMA - Yahoo! Sports

Oh boy, this is a hard thread not to sound like a dick in but here goes. Kyle Maynard, who became famous for making it to the state tournament in HS Wrestling has just been approved to have hs first MMA Fight. Oh God. Kyle Maynard has no legs and no arms and was denied his first license and if you ask my opinion, rightfully so. Listen, I'm all for people with disabilites doing all that they can to better themselves but this is going too far. I personally didn't like it when I watched highschool kids have to wrestle Kyle on highlight tapes. I felt bad for the nondisabled kids to be honest. wrestling is all about handles, wrist control etc. and these kids were dumbfounded about what to do and the matches usually ended up with a very low score and Kyle winning. I know that he is at a great disadvantage but you tell me how you hold a no armed, no legged man on his back.... That sounds like a bad joke but I'm kinda being serious. But my personal views aside, this can't end well. First off, can Kyle be kicked? Is he always considered a downed fighter? Again, I'm being dead serious. I could see this going terrible.

What are your thoughts. First on the MMA fight, next on how much of an asshole I am.

how would you get subs like a kimura on him? ankle lock? can't kick him or knee him since he's always 'downed' ? wtf? i'm with you on this one. this is a bad idea all around. who would even want a win over him, much less a loss? seriously here.

Thank God. I was beginning to think that I was somehow being a dick. There's a College wrestler who made it to Nationals this year and he has no legs. This I don't have a problem with. Yeah, there's certain things that his opponent can't do to him but I don't have a problem with people with disabilities wrestling/fighting ect. For instance, in High School I had a blind teamate on my wrestling team. Whenever someone had to wrestle him they were not allowed to break contact at any time. This was accomplished by the match starting with both wrestler's hands touch each other and constant contact had to be made. Did this suck for the other guy, sometimes yes but I saw no real problem with it. However, the line has to be drawn somewhere, right? I'd like to hear some input from you guys. Does anyone think that he should have got his license to fight MMA?

Wow.. I remember hearing about him as a wrestler years ago but never thought this day would come. Hmmmm, a big part of me agrees. I mean, I've had to go through doc exams for every fight, seperate physicals and blood tests for every mma license, etc, etc, because not everyone should be participating in the sport.. only the extremely healthy, fit, and ABLE due to the type of sport and potential for severe injury if someone can not perform as intended. I've seen guys get disqualified or denied because of stupid little things like a benign cyst on an MRI or whatever.. The point is the AC is suppose to look after the safety of the fighters and if they can safely participate. Looking at the nature of MMA, a guy with no arms/legs can not really participate safely.
Now on the other hand, I really feel for the guy. He's obviously no joke. He had a successfull HS wrestling career, has been training mma for several years, and even has his blue belt in BJJ. ..and I definetly agree with the statement made in the article that he is better prepared then most 0-0 amatuer mma fighters out there. So another part of me really says, "give the kid a shot" Its a free country and its something he wants to do. He should probably just try and stick to BJJ and grappling tournaments but who knows.. If I was to decide if he should be approved or disapproved (and was responsible for his safety) I'd probably have to go watch him train, spar, etc.. before I made that decision. honestly, if I had to make the decision on the spot without seeing that I probably say no. :(

Well it went how I thought it would.
Kyle Maynard

Kyle was unable to wear gloves bvecause of the humidity and the fact that they wouldn't stay on.... So.... He wasn't allowed to throw strikes, but still allowed to participate? Anyways, he also WAS considered a down opponent at all times and wasn't allowed to take kicks or elbows at anytime. So.... the other dude ran around and jabbed him in the face for 3 rounds because you can't submit a guy with no arms or legs and you can't knock someone out with jabs.

I really can't get over the fact that they give someone a license who can't wear the required safety equipment. This rally has baffled me.

That was kinda heart breaking to watch. :( The other kid handled it well. I'm too nice.. I probably would've let him take me down a few times and show his ground skills and I doubt I would've been able to truely blast him with my right...lol
Who knows, maybe he can get some type of mma/bjj variation going for amputee's/handicaps??? Hell, I just found out they have quadriplegic rugby!!

definitly was hard to watch, im all for handicappeds trying to do anythin they can but that fight made him look more like a circus act. If he has a good grappling game, great, let him fight in bjj, grappling tournaments but stay out of MMA. Its one thing if you have to adjust one rule for someone but no kicks/knees/elbows and not strikes at all by maynard.

Just to clarify, like everyone else here im not trying to be a dick but i don't think he should be competing.

that was painful to watch. and about as expected.
guess he should be glad it wasn't a fight in japan where you can kick or knee a downed opponent...

Back