Ladies Get Moving ! What's holding you back ?

Mrs P

Female Moderator
Let's face it, we all know we need to exercise.
How many books and videos do you own? How many gym memberships have you had in your life?
You may even be an expert on the perfect exercises for your body.
But you're not doing it! Why? Well, sometimes the problem isn't necessary lack of knowledge, it's lack of motivation.

Find Your "Why"

In order to be successful at any endeavor, we must have a good reason for doing it in the first place.
Exercise is no exception. What will get you up in the morning on those cold, dark days when you just want to stay in bed?

Most people say "because I want to lose weight" or "I want to be fit".

While these are good goals, they are not good enough reasons for long term success.
You must dig deeper.
What is important to you?
What do you value in life?
Answer these questions, then see how a regular exercise program can support your values.

Make a Commitment

Once you find your "why", it's time to make a commitment.

Here's a definition of commitment you may not have heard: a commitment is the ability to carry out a worthy decision, even when the excitement of making that decision has passed.

How many times have you been excited to start an exercise program, only to become bored or distracted by other things? As soon as the excitement passes, so do your exercise plans.

Don't worry about falling off the wagon at times, just re-commit and start again.

Set Daily, Measurable and Realistic Goals

If your only goal is to lose 40 pounds it will be a while before you feel successful.
After all, it can take a while to see such results.
Rather, set daily measurable, achievable goals that allow you to feel successful every day.
Keep a weekly diary and set goals each day for what kind of exercise you will do, how long you will workout, how hard you will exercise, etc.
Praise your self, and focus on your daily progress !!!

Keep Track of Your Progress

After you set your goals and write them down, you want to also chart your progress. Be sure to write down your daily achievements to compare to your goals. This will become extremely motivating as you see yourself meeting your goals.

With consistent exercise, you will also see your workouts becoming easier and your ability to work harder and longer.
Seeing measurable progress on paper will keep you motivated while you work towards the bigger goals you have set for yourself.

Get Objective Feedback

You may know what a good workout feels like - you have that endorphin "high" after exercise, or you have energy to spare all day long.
But do you know what an effective workout feels like? It is hard to know how effective your workout is every day without waiting for weeks or months to see the results. What if you could see day after day how many calories you burned, or what your heart rate was each workout?
Using a heart rate monitor can tell you if you are working too hard or not hard enough. What about calories?
An accelerometer can tell you all day long how many calories you are burning and keep you motivated to move!
When you look for ways to add activity to your day it becomes a fun game and you can instantly see the results.

Avoid the "All or Nothing" Mentality

Have you had plans to exercise five times one week and the first day something happened and you didn't exercise?

When this happens, many people give up on the rest of the week This is known as the All or Nothing Mentality. Keep away from this.it doesn't work.
If you approach your exercise and nutrition program in that manner, you set yourself up for failure. Allow for flexibility in your exercise plans and know one missed day is not a setback.

Be Accountable!

Research has shown that exercisers with some kind of support system have a better chance of continuing exercise.
You need someone who will also hold you accountable for your exercise. Working with someone like a personal trainer, a coach or a mentor will give you the support you need and you can work together to identify barriers to keeping your commitment and develop strategies to overcome these obstacles.

Just like results from exercise, building motivation and consistency will take time.

Fitness is not just about reaching a destination,
it is a journey where you will learn much about yourself and grow from your experiences.
Keep your short term goals in mind, and enjoy the journey to reaching your ultimate goals.

I see many guests in the women forum everyday, C'mon Ladies join !!!,
What's holding you back ? You have already taken the first step ! Start posting, ask as many questions as you like, we're all here to learn & help each other.

I posted this in the women's forum not because I don't think it applies to man,
I think lack of motivation can be a challange for both man & women, but I feel women tend to need more support, especially if they're not feeling good about their body image. I know body image is very important as it makes you feel better about your self.
Being unhappy with your body can affect how you think and feel about yourself as a person. A poor body image can lead to emotional distress, low self-esteem, unhealthy dieting habits, anxiety, depression.

So ladies, I hope this will help those that are seeking motivation to make a change to a healthier life. :)

Mrs P thats a great post! If that post isnt motivating then I Dont know what is. :)

Last edited:
This is a great post. The only thing holding me back is myself. My partner is also a member of this forum and he LOVES to go to the gym. For me, I would rather clean out the litter box. I honestly have not found an exercise that I enjoy other than playing tennis occasionally. However, I make myself go and am planning a more extensive routine with him at the beginning of the year to see what positive changes I can make to my body. Personally, i need a kick in the attitude department when it comes to the gym, but I am creating more positive habits. One step at a time...

This is a great post. The only thing holding me back is myself. My partner is also a member of this forum and he LOVES to go to the gym. For me, I would rather clean out the litter box. I honestly have not found an exercise that I enjoy other than playing tennis occasionally. However, I make myself go and am planning a more extensive routine with him at the beginning of the year to see what positive changes I can make to my body. Personally, i need a kick in the attitude department when it comes to the gym, but I am creating more positive habits. One step at a time...

Hi Allison :)

Well, at least u know your why..right, lol
I think you need to find something that you enjoy, exercise should be fun, sure, I don't particulary love cardio, most hate it, but I change my routine often, trying new routines keeps it interesting.

Each person finds motivation in different ways, for me, seeing the progress I'm making, motivates me to continue & do more. I'm 34 and have never felt or looked better. Also the feeling I get after a workout is addicting, some days when I don't feel like going to the gym, I rememeber how good I'll feel afterwards & I get up & do it.

Your right about taking one step at a time, it's great your making positive changes :)
Tennis is a great form of cardio, if you like playing keep doing it & incorporte a strenght training routine.

Looks like your on your way :)

Good luck 2 u~

What a post it gives us a push to start training and end our lazy days
hopefully i'll committee a sport system daily ;)

Nothing is holding me back I work out hard 5-6 days a week and the definition isn't coming fast enough. The only thing I take is CLA, L-Cartine, and Multivitimn. I've been readng about anavar. Is this something healthy to take. Will this change my voice?

Awesome post... I've found at the end of the day (or early in the morning ) , all I hv is me to motivate me! Really getting in there def requires the ability to tap into your inner strength

What a post it gives us a push to start training and end our lazy days
hopefully i'll committee a sport system daily ;)

thanks IdolWhite, u should definitely do it, excercise is the best thing you could do for your body & mind :)

Nothing is holding me back I work out hard 5-6 days a week and the definition isn't coming fast enough. The only thing I take is CLA, L-Cartine, and Multivitimn. I've been readng about anavar. Is this something healthy to take. Will this change my voice?

Hi Babydoll,

How's yoru diet ? I an tell u if your training hard & your diet is dialed in, u should be getting some results.. To have a very defined "cut" look your BF need to be low, you can train very hard & have a good amount of muscle mass, but if it's covered by fat, the muscles just won't show.

Anavar is a mild steroid & highly liked by women, but unning a var cycle like anything else could have sides, u could have increased body hair, acne, deepening of the voice and clitoral growth.

You should really do your research & possibly tweak your diet/training before you start a var cycle.

Good luck~ :)

Awesome post... I've found at the end of the day (or early in the morning ) , all I hv is me to motivate me! Really getting in there def requires the ability to tap into your inner strength

Thanks sheflexed,
I totally agree, I'm the same way, ultimately "you" are the one that needs to motivate "you" and get it done :)

Hi, I am new to this site joined last week. Here are my stats
31 years old
5'8
Highest Weight 248lbs (size 22)
Current Weight 205lbs (size 12-14)
Body Fat 34%
BMI- 31
My Goal is to get down to 10-16% body fat. I am a runner, swimmer, and a biker (I am starting to train for triathlons)

I let myself go, no other excuse than I was unhappy with my life for 8 years and I just didn't care about anything anymore.
I used to weight train for years, played water polo, swam, and ran... I taught water aerobics and water rehab classes. I was very very active from the age 18-25 (then I got pregnant and was in a toxic relationship). Hence the massive weight gain.
I got tried of being fat, and decided I was ready to change for me. I started to get back into the routine of exercising daily and eating right.

I have been weight training consistantly and eat super clean for the past 3 months straight. I want to try my hardest to do things right, let my body continue to transform into the body I know it can be, I have goals and want to achieve them, but sometimes I feel like I am doing this alone, I have ppl that support me in their own way, but I need that person who will not just tell me when I am doing well, but will tell me when I could have done a lot better and show me how I could have improved.

In 3 months time I have lost almost 33lbs. I am toning and building lean muscle, I am happier than ever, removed all those toxic things from my life that seemed to be holding me back from living life.

This is still the beginning of my journey. I train 2 hours a day at the gym mon thru fri. I run 3-6 miles every tue, thru, sat in the afternoons, and do double days on Weekends. Weight training, core work, and cardio.

My diet is 40/40/20 ratio.
200 grams of carbs
200 grams of proteins
44 grmas of fats

on carb cycling days I drop my carbs down to 20-50 grams of carbs... (depending how heavy I will be lifting)

What is a reasonable amount of body fat one could lose in a months time, if they are eating super clean and training hard every day? And can they keep losing that amount each month if they have a substanial amount to lose (around 18% of body fat is what I need to lose)

I know everyone is different, men and women are different and produce different results. I do not know if I should increase the amount of my cardio or do I lift more (heavy with low reps) to see the results quicker. (body fat % wise).

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to this site joined last week. Here are my stats
31 years old
5'8
Highest Weight 248lbs (size 22)
Current Weight 205lbs (size 12-14)
Body Fat 34%
BMI- 31
My Goal is to get down to 10-16% body fat. I am a runner, swimmer, and a biker (I am starting to train for triathlons)

I let myself go, no other excuse than I was unhappy with my life for 8 years and I just didn't care about anything anymore.
I used to weight train for years, played water polo, swam, and ran... I taught water aerobics and water rehab classes. I was very very active from the age 18-25 (then I got pregnant and was in a toxic relationship). Hence the massive weight gain.
I got tried of being fat, and decided I was ready to change for me. I started to get back into the routine of exercising daily and eating right.

I have been weight training consistantly and eat super clean for the past 3 months straight. I want to try my hardest to do things right, let my body continue to transform into the body I know it can be, I have goals and want to achieve them, but sometimes I feel like I am doing this alone, I have ppl that support me in their own way, but I need that person who will not just tell me when I am doing well, but will tell me when I could have done a lot better and show me how I could have improved.

In 3 months time I have lost almost 33lbs. I am toning and building lean muscle, I am happier than ever, removed all those toxic things from my life that seemed to be holding me back from living life.

This is still the beginning of my journey. I train 2 hours a day at the gym mon thru fri. I run 3-6 miles every tue, thru, sat in the afternoons, and do double days on Weekends. Weight training, core work, and cardio.

My diet is 40/40/20 ratio.
200 grams of carbs
200 grams of proteins
44 grmas of fats

on carb cycling days I drop my carbs down to 20-50 grams of carbs... (depending how heavy I will be lifting)

What is a reasonable amount of body fat one could lose in a months time, if they are eating super clean and training hard every day? And can they keep losing that amount each month if they have a substanial amount to lose (around 18% of body fat is what I need to lose)

I know everyone is different, men and women are different and produce different results. I do not know if I should increase the amount of my cardio or do I lift more (heavy with low reps) to see the results quicker. (body fat % wise).

Welcome Smilee21 :)

First off congrats on your weight loss !!
It's great that you've lost 33 pounds & that you are making the changes to a healthier happier you.

Life could really throw us out of track sometimes, but don't worry, the important thing, is to realize this & get back in track !

You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance..

Whast is recommended is, loosing up to 2-3 pounds a week... so, u should be aiming for this...

When u loose weight, u loose fat & some muscle too. The equation is simple, one must burn more calories than one consumes...

It's hard to say what the "average" weekly % of fat loss is, since every person is different & reacts different to diet & training.

The key for you is going to be diet,
Loosing weight is 80 % diet/ 20 % training

Carb cycling works wonders when it comes to fat loss, there are many variations of carb cycling, u have to find what works best for u.

Hope u stick around & let us know how your journey turns out.

Best of luck to u~

Last edited:
Welcome Smilee21 :)

First off congrats on your weight loss !!
It's great that you've lost 33 pounds & that you are making the changes to a healthier happier you.

Life could really throw us out of track sometimes, but don't worry, the important thing, is to realize this & get back in track !

You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance..

Whast is recommended is, loosing up to 2-3 pounds a week... so, u should be aiming for this...

When u loose weight, u loose fat & some muscle too. The equation is simple, one must burn more calories than one consumes...

It's hard to say what the "average" weekly % of fat loss is, since every person is different & reacts different to diet & training.

The key for you is going to be diet,
Loosing weight is 80 % diet/ 20 % training

Carb cycling works wonders when it comes to fat loss, there are many variations of carb cycling, u have to find what works best for u.

Hope u stick around & let us know how your journey turns out.

Best of luck to u~

Thank you... I have been signing up of 5k, 10k, Mud's runs in my local areas. I have enough event's to keep me in training mode for this entire year. I love the way I feel after a good workout, and I am happy to say that after removing all those Toxic things from my life and changing old habits that were not very good. Life has been really awesome.

I set little goals each month, 2.5-3 lbs is my weight loss goal each week. I have averaged 10lb lost each month so far.

When I feel like I could have done better, I make changes to what I eat and when I eat it. I have another weigh in, body fat %, and my measurements checked Feb 4th right before my 6 mile race I am running.

I am really enjoying this site so far and am learning new things reading about everyone elses experiences. Thanks again.

Just Allison,
If you want a different type of workout look into.crossfit!! It's a great and quick effective workout! I started doing crossfit more and you get cardio and weights in. Also, really focus on your diet for like 4 weeks and when you start to see the changes, you won't want to stop!! :)

I loved reading these posts.
I skipped the gym today. Hate when I do that. I work too hard, sleep too little. Good thing I like to exercise. Looking forward to golf season too. Starts up this month.

I loved reading these posts.
I skipped the gym today. Hate when I do that. I work too hard, sleep too little. Good thing I like to exercise. Looking forward to golf season too. Starts up this month.

Hey bah1a,

I hear ya, I hate it too, but some days I have to, jsut have to hit it harder the next day :) You play golf ?

Hey watsup, im a 22 yr old girl from new york. I am interested in steroids. But honestly, i know nothing about them. I know two different people that got it. But i dont wanna eff my body up. So i would like some advice please, on what i should look for, and how i should take it.. Thanks. I just dont trust the guys selling it. They will say anything to get their money... Im trying to gain wieght build muscle. Im 5'5 140lbs. I wanna be 160lbs with alot of muscle. Not too crazy though. Can u guys help me out

Back