Votes: 64 18.6%
  • ALA

Votes: 33 9.6%
  • Milk Thistle

Votes: 208 60.5%
  • other- please specify

Votes: 28 8.1%

• Total voters
Buff..sorry forgot about this one. The problem is exactly what you request for. I have no proof showing it does nothing, but I have yet to see one that shows it does.

The studies I have seen:

One on humans takin MT after a person ingested a certian poisonous mushroom. Thats all that I seen in humans.

Now in rats, they dont even make sense. In one, the kg/ bw is way beyond the toxic dose in humans. In another, there is no control. Another, one is on the 17-aa estrogen, but again doses or the steroid and duration are unclear.

Im not sure where these studies are even at. I just had a huge debate with someone and these are what were presented to me.

Maybe it does work, but I have not seen anything that convinces me to take it when rALA, NAC, and Gluthonamine (sp) are available with proof of action.

I dont dis-recomend it, but I do think its more of a myth.

Description: Live-rite: The Ultimate Liver Aid:
This fast-acting, energy-giving liver detoxifier and cleanser, provides defense against effects of toxins, medication, fatty foods, or hepatoxicity caused by liver-related illnesses such as hepatitis, cirrhosis,or specific cholesterol-lowering agents, immuno-suppresant drugs, as well as chemotherapeutic drugs.

Live-rite also deals with all the stress to which the liver is subjected, toxins in our diet or environment, medications, caffeine, fatty foods and more. The result is hypatoxicity. This results from the liver experiencing stress caused by these factors, but enzyme levels in the liver are increased. These dual effects bring about a depletion of body energy as the liver ?the detoxifying organ of the body, then works hard to perform its function. As well, side effects occur when the liver is subjected to toxins, for example, bad skin, liver sports and poor eyesight.

Live-rite powerful benefits helps those not just with hepatotoxicity but with all forms of liver stress. It is recognized as being the Ultimate liver Aids to assist the liver in coping with: fatty foods, alcohol consumption, medications, toxins and all forms of liver stress.

Live-rite: helps the liver to perform its detoxifying and cleansing functions effectively ?and quickly.

Lowers the increased enzyme levels in the liver.

Aids the digestion process.

Increases energy and gets rid of the sluggishness that usually results from liver stress and hepotoxicity.

Once detoxification and cleansing begins, not only will there be restoration of the cellular integrity of the liver but in addition, the side-effects hepatoxicity such as bad skin or liver spots will begin to clear. The body’s whole system will begin to function more efficiently. Live-rite with its particular combination of 17 amino acids, niacin, vitamin B12, choline, inositol and cysteine helps to prevent and alleviate hepatotoxicity. It also helps to restore the cellular integrity of the liver. This results in increased energy and a feeling of well being. Recommended dose is 4 tablets per day for liver stress: 2 tablets per day for general cleansing and maintenance,

Ingredients:

Lipotropic factors 18.75mg

Cobalamin 1125mg

Liver Hydrolysate

L-Cysteine 15.0mg

Beneficial: Liver, heptitis, liver cirrhosis, liver detoxifier

Quantity Per Unit: 60 teblets a bottle

Manufacturer: Liverite Products Inc

buffdoc said:
Buddy, MY response was an attempt to prevent MY bro's from ignoring a potentially beneficial, inexpensive liver protectant based on YOUR anecdotal series of one. And that's exactly what it is; nothing more, nothing less.
If you want to be this sensitive about your "evidence" then chime in with what I asked Billy Bathgate about: that is, some studies that amount to something. I really do want to know, but let's not be telling ppl who are using liver toxic drugs what liver aids NOT to take based on flimsy-ass opinion.
Thanks

Not flimsy ass OPINION guy, legitimate explanation of a real incidence. You're very quick to dismiss others posts as OPINION and invalid. Do you feel you are the only one that has anything factual to post. Lets give you that opportunity then... Maybe you could post exactly what you are asking Billy Bathgate about, that is ANY study that suggests that milk thistle DOES work. That is the question here. What do i have to gain by damning milk thistle?? Lets find the substances that are beneficial, and use them, not promote substances that MIGHT work especially when dollar value is an issue for some people here.

Billy,
You may be right; my understanding is that what MT does (among other things) is increase hepatocyte levels (intracellular) of glutathione, which would probably be a good thing. I also have read that oral glutathione is very poorly absorbed (although it does well parenterally; I've actually got the injectable in my office, it's been used for Parkinsons dz). Hence, the use of MT to indirectly increase glutathione levels in the hepatocytes.
There are some newer studies using phosphatidylcholine-bound MT, they look pretty good, although I'm not sure how valid they are.
Thanks

doggy said:
Not flimsy ass OPINION guy, legitimate explanation of a real incidence. You're very quick to dismiss others posts as OPINION and invalid. Do you feel you are the only one that has anything factual to post. Lets give you that opportunity then... Maybe you could post exactly what you are asking Billy Bathgate about, that is ANY study that suggests that milk thistle DOES work. That is the question here. What do i have to gain by damning milk thistle?? Lets find the substances that are beneficial, and use them, not promote substances that MIGHT work especially when dollar value is an issue for some people here.

Please tell us what is this "legitimate explanation of a real incidence is?" Are you talking about your friend and his "study?" That is not science or anything like it. It IS opinion. And correct me if I'm wrong, but did you even tell us the specifics of his cycle, the Liver tests that were done, any coecisting diseases, or any of this sort of cogent information? Go back and read your original post at the top of this thread, objectively, and see how ludicrous it would sound to anyone w/ even a rudimentary background in the sciences!
See drveejay's link. This does not include some of the more recent studies, but, as is the case w/ many supplements, the evidence is inconclusive. Is the evidence with Liver-52, Tyler's, ALA, that much more compelling and based on large, controlled trials? I'm asking you for your expert opinion on that. For instance, you're an ALA man. Where's the overriding evidence there?
Don't get me wrong, I use ALA, too. But your argument about "dollar values" is a bit specious. rALA is a tad pricey, no? As are AAS, and liver transplants, for that matter.

Like I said, you're very quick to dismiss others, and cannot come forth with any information yourself. My friends "study" was not scientific, you are correct, but you fail to provide any scientific data yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these boards are here for us share experiences and opinions, no?? We are here to help one another, and all I see from you is an arrogant, dismissive attitude... you must be very lonely.

Easy boyzzzzzz.......slow down. Let's just team up on MVMAXX instead for not being honest.......He refuses to come out of the closet after all this time yet picks on TheFantom1 and the Almighty for their sexual preferences!!! Shame shame shame!!

LOL

:3some:

(J/K of course...............................:p )

Last edited:
You're right bro, its not worth the time.
I simply dont appreciate my input, or any other members input being swept aside and dismissed by arrogant ignorance as 'anecdotal' and 'not convincing' when we are here to learn, share experiences and grow together. Dismissing others' input is not conducive to a friendly board.

doggy said:
You're right bro, its not worth the time.
I simply dont appreciate my input, or any other members input being swept aside and dismissed by arrogant ignorance as 'anecdotal' and 'not convincing' when we are here to learn, share experiences and grow together. Dismissing others' input is not conducive to a friendly board.

Easy bro,
You must be misinterpreting what "anecdotal" means. It simply means the result of one person's experience. It is not derogatory. It is not an ad hominim attack. It is also NOT the basis for any kind of judgement for what should be used or not used. There is a history for the use of MT for the liver; there is not, for, say, chapparal.
If you think I'm "dismissing" your input, well, I'm questioning it based on it's origin, and on the fact that MT may be of great benefit to some. I've yet to see your response to ANY of my sincere questions about ALA, etc. It seems you'd rather be angry with me, for evidently hurting your feelings, which was not my desire.
As for your personal jabs at me: I think anyone who knows me from here or other boards would not classify me as "ignorant"; I won't get into a pissing contest over credentials.
As for me being "very lonely": well, I write this missive at home, safe in the busom of my loving family, in my own living room, within eyesight of my wife and two lovely children. So lonely? Hardly.
Since this has degenerated into me being "dismissive" and "ignorant" rather than a discussion of any of the facts I've tried to bring up, let's look for a moment at antioxidant research (with which I am quite familiar; I just have a problem with a lot of what I call "cut and paste" posting, in which the data often is tangential to the discussion at hand; I prefer that the individual do his or her own research).
Antioxidants work in concert. Each one in turn accepts electrons from another in a type of chain reaction. Therefore, most mainstream research done w/ antioxidants is full of holes. One cannot simply test, say, beta carotene by itself, as was done in the Finnish cancer studies, and which is the typical placebo-controlled study model. To not include the other antioxidant substances creates an artificial environment, and the results will be skewed.
The same goes for liver protectants. Perhaps one increases intracellular glutathione levels, another inhibits the migration of glutathione out of the cell, yet another facilitates its entry, etc. If you just use one supplement in a study, or as the basis of an anecdote, what might your results be? Probably less than stellar.
This is the reason many mainstream medical "authorities" will claim lack of evidence that ascorbate, or E, or other vitamins/minerals, or "alternative" treatments, have effects that are popularly associated with them. The testing process itself is artificial and bears little resemblance to real life in the cells or in the organism.
Anyone who takes just one or two antioxidants is kidding themselves; the same goes for liver protectants. We must hit it from different angles and with different modes of action! It's simply foolish and dangerous not to, especially with the high safety profile of the supplements in question!
We should not discourage people using Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) or other liver toxic drugs from doing everthing they can,with a multi-modal approach, to protect their livers. To claim that it's a financial consideration, with the amount of $$ BB's spend on AAS, food, and other supplements, is laughable. THis is NOT an attack on Doggy, although he probably doesn't want to hear this. But I've said it before on other boards: if I see something I consider specious, or irreponsible, or just plain wrong on a thread, I will not nod dumbly "uh huh" and ignore it. I will call the person on it and see if we can clear it up. If that's dismissive and arrogant, so be it. I think it's rather keeping the boards as clean and accurate as possible for impressionable newbies and others.
Thanks, I'll now go soak my wrists ;-)

I appreciate your explanation of 'anecdotal' as my vocabulary is now complete. You seem to like to put the onus on others to supply the scientific evidence and explain their theories when you yourself will not. Your 'sincere' questions regarding ALA are simply a red herring and yet another attempt to put the onus on someone else. This discussion has not been about ALA, it has been about milk thistle which you still have not explained scientifically. Please enlighten my layman ass.
As for a 'pissing contest over credentials', please tell me where this has occured in this thread? You have just brought this up for the first time. Very subtle! Are you trying to bring to the table the fact that you are a doctor? Yes, we are very impressed! Now that I have contained my awe, lets get back to the issue at hand... milk thistle. You use it. Why? Because it has been toted by the herbal companies as being a liver cleanser and detoxifier? Are you scientifically convinced that it works?

MILK THISTLE taken from www.liversupport.com

A herbal detoxifier and protectant for your liver

In Europe, silymarin, the purified extract of the fruits of S. marianum, and its main constituent, silybin, are used to maintain liver health and for the treatment of diseases of the liver. Worldwide milk thistle is, deservedly, one of the most commonly prescribed medicinal plants.

S. marianum is a medicinal plant which has been widely used in traditional European medicine for centuries. It is commonly known as milk thistle, St. Mary’s thistle and lady’s thistle. It is native to southern Europe, southern Russia, Asia Minor and North Africa. It has been naturalized to North and South America.

Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertner (syn. Carduus marianus L.) belongs to the Asteraceae family (Compositae). It is a herbaceous annual or biennial plant that grows up to six feet tall. It is a widespread wayside herb of uncultivated ground and waste places throughout its geographical range. The plant was carried to North America by European colonists at an early date (Pickering 1879).

Milk Thistle has a long therapeutic history
This plant has been known since ancient times; it is a biblical plant. It was mentioned by Theophrastus (4th century B.C.) with the name of Pternix and by Pliny the Elder (1st century A.D.) with the name of Sillybum. Von Haller (1744) in its "Medizinischen Lexicon" documented the specific use of the plant for liver disorders. In the 19th and 20th centuries many authors such as Rademacher, Schulz and Henry Leclerc mentioned the fruits of S. marianum for the treatment of liver diseases, disorders of the bile duct and spleen.

Ancient use and modern studies verify its safety and effectiveness

For over 2,000 years Europeans have used Milk Thistle seeds as an herbal treatment for liver disorders. The plant has been grown both as an ornamental and a vegetable. Virtually all parts of the plant have been used as food with no reports of toxicity. Animal experiments have shown that seed extracts are safe, even in large doses, with practically no side effects, as well as no embryo-toxic effect. Adverse effects in human studies with the seed extract (silymarin) are also generally absent. There are no contradications nor known side effects of concern. It can be safely used by a wide range of persons, including pregnant and lactating women, although it may have a mild, transient laxative effect for some people.

Double blind studies on the effect of silymarin on toxic liver damage (mostly induced by alcohol), chronic liver disease and disease caused by certain drugs have been reviewed by medical experts. They concluded that basic lab and clinical data suggests silymarin is a therapeutically useful medicinal plant product that stabilizes the cell membrane and stimulates protein synthesis, while accelerating the process of regeneration in damaged liver tissue, and that these effects are important in the therapeutic efficacy of silymarin.

Over the past twenty+ years, intensive chemical, pharmacological, and clinical research has confirmed mechanisms of action and therapeutic value of silymarin in a wide range of human liver disease, including toxic metabolic liver damage (such as fatty degeneration of the liver) and supportive treatment of chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis. Silymarin, derived from the seeds of the plant (and most specifically, its main constituent, silybin) has shown both protective and restorative effects in liver disease. The plant is a primary example of the usefulness of using historical efficacy as a starting point for the development of modern applications for medicinal plants.

Hundreds of studies have been conducted

Literally hundreds of research studies, mostly in Europe, have confirmed the remarkable ability of milk thistle to protect the liver against virtually all types of damage: from accidental exposure to chemical pollutants, toxic side effects of medications, liver diseases like hepatitis and even the self inflicted damage from overindulgence of rich food and alcohol.

The United States National Library of Medicine has catalogued more than 300 scientific studies of milk thistle and its active compounds in their medicine database.

How does it work?

Milk thistle seeds contain a bioflavonoid complex known as silymarin. This constituent is responsible for the medical benefits of the plant (according to Wagner H, Horhammer L, Munster R. in their article "The chemistry of silymarin (silybin), the active principle of the fruits of Silybum marianum (l.) Gaertner", published in Arzneim-Forsch Drug Research 1968; 18: 688-96.)

Silymarin is made up of three parts; silybin, silidianin and silicristin. silybin is the most active and is largely responsible for the benefits attributed to silymarin according to Hikino h, Kiso Y, et al. In their article " Antihepatotoxic actions of flavonolignans from Silybum marianum fruits", published in Planta Medica 1984; 50:248-50.

According to other studies, milk thistle extract may protect the cells of the liver by blocking the entrance of harmful toxins and helping remove these toxins from the liver cells. As with other bioflavonoids, silymarin is a powerful antioxidant. Milk thistle also regenerates injured liver cells according to Sonnenbichler J, Zetl I, in their article "Stimulating influence of a flavonolignan dirivative on proliferation, RNA synthesis and protein synthesis in liver cells". Published in Assessment and Management of Hepatobiliary Disease by Springer-Verlag.

As already stated, silymarin not only protects the liver cells (hepatocytes) against toxic damage it also regenerates them. It has been found in clinical studies to increase the rate of synthesis of RNA through stimulation of nucleorlar polymerase 1. This reinforces protein synthesis and accelerates cell-regeneration processes. Thus, silymarin is a useful remedy for chronic hepatitis, toxic fatty deposits in the liver and cirrhosis.

In one double-blind study, silymarin significantly reduced the mortality of patients with liver cirrhosis. The effect was most pronounced in patients with alcohol-induced cirrhosis. The mechanisms of action are reasoned to be based on the reduction of the metabolic or toxic effects of alcohol on the liver. One such action of silymarin is its ability to reduce hepatocellular necrosis which, in turn, may delay or prevent the occurrence of hepatic failure. Additionally, silymarin reduces collagen deposition in the liver, thereby reducing circulatory changes, particularly in the portal system.

In another double-blind, controlled study silymarin was shown to decrease the serum glutamic pyruvate transaminase (SGPT) and serum glutamic oxalacetic transaminase (SGOT) in patients with liver disease. Serum total and conjugated bilirubin also decreased during treatment. Significantly, liver biopsy showed a clear improvement in histological alterations, namely decreased fatty transformations. These findings indicate that silymarin complex may have both a prophylactic and a remedial effect on liver lesions.

What conditions is milk thistle best for?

Conditions indicating the use of milk thistle are varied. Those who are receiving chemotherapy; chronic active hepatitis; a history of cholelithiasis; HIV infection on a multi-drug regimen; environmental sensitivities; a medical condition that necessitates the use of hepatotoxic medications; regular moderate-to –heavy alcohol use; and varicosities and/or hemorrhoids. In most situations a moderate dose will result in noticeable clinical improvement within two months of use.

Highly regarded in Europe and is gaining recognition in the U.S.

Many Europeans use milk thistle as a supplement to protect their livers from the effects of alcohol or a polluted environment or workplace. However, in Europe, as a prescribed medicine, the milk thistle extract is also used to treat alcoholic cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, drug and alcohol-induced liver damage and other disease such as acute viral hepatitis.

Many milk thistle products are available in the health food stores in the U.S. today. Even some drug stores have milk thistle extract on display for over-the-counter sales. These products cannot be labeled with the benefits which have been proven in European laboratories and clinics, but Americans are gradually becoming aware of these benefits.

Silybum marianum is an extraordinarily useful herb in today’s world. With our increasingly polluted environment, our expanding reliance on often toxic medications and drugs, and our exposure to infectious organisms that damage the liver, our need for liver protection is tremendous. Milk thistle figures prominently in our arsenal of hepatic protection. More research is needed to further understand the mechanisms, indications, and benefits of this immensely important medicinal herb. In the meantime, our current understanding of milk thistle justifiably promotes its use for many people.

Standardized extracts increase milk thistle’s potency

Standardized extracts make the active constituents of herbs more effective. They isolate the most important compounds and purify them to predictable dosages. The world’s best selling milk thistle product is a standardized extract.

It takes 70 pounds of milk thistle seeds to make one pound of extract purified to 70-80% silymarin (of which 80% is silybin, the most active and helpful constituent). Even this standardized extract has a problem though, inhibited bioavailability.

The only problem with milk thistle (and its solution)

The active ingredients of milk thistle are not very bioavailable, especially in their purified or standardized forms. This means one would need to ingest large amounts to experience beneficial effects. Not only impractical, it could be quite expensive.

That is why the Phytosome® process of Siliphos® that MAXIMUM MILK THISTLE™ uses is such a dramatic breakthrough. It allows greater efficacy and is much more cost effective when you look at the amount absorbed vs. the amount ingested. The Phytosome® process can be thought of as a supercharged delivery system. It takes the most effective constituent and puts it into a form that increases its uptake into the body’s tissues.

Now the potency of standardized extracts of milk thistle can be multiplied by having the most important element absorbed by the body 8 to 10 times more effectively and delivered to where it will do the most good, your liver.

Click here to learn more about MAXIMUM MILK THISTLE™

Information at this website is for educational purposes only; statements about products and health conditions have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.
www.LiverSupport.com ©

doggy said:
I appreciate your explanation of 'anecdotal' as my vocabulary is now complete. You seem to like to put the onus on others to supply the scientific evidence and explain their theories when you yourself will not. Your 'sincere' questions regarding ALA are simply a red herring and yet another attempt to put the onus on someone else. This discussion has not been about ALA, it has been about milk thistle which you still have not explained scientifically. Please enlighten my layman ass.
As for a 'pissing contest over credentials', please tell me where this has occured in this thread? You have just brought this up for the first time. Very subtle! Are you trying to bring to the table the fact that you are a doctor? Yes, we are very impressed! Now that I have contained my awe, lets get back to the issue at hand... milk thistle. You use it. Why? Because it has been toted by the herbal companies as being a liver cleanser and detoxifier? Are you scientifically convinced that it works?

Oh for God's sake. Did you even read my thread? You know, the part about antioxidants? Are you truly interested in learning or teaching? Or just venting your sarcasm and anger?
I don't know what your agenda is, or why you have such a big chip on your shoulder, but I'm done spending time trying to bring some rational thought to this thread when you seem only interested in ad hominim attacks on me.
And yes, I've seen the site StoneCold referenced; I use their product. Would that reference have been enough coming from me, or have you just written off anything I can or might say? You seem to want to intentionally distort and misinterpret everything I have to say. As far as the doctor bit, no I don't expect you to be impressed. The people here know I'm a doc, they take it w/ a grain of salt, but they don't use the fact to attack me.
Bye Bye.

Drugs 2001;61(14):2035-63 Related Articles, Links

The use of silymarin in the treatment of liver diseases.

Saller R, Meier R, Brignoli R.

Abteilung Naturheilkunde, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland.

The high prevalence of liver diseases such as chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis underscores the need for efficient and cost-effective treatments. The potential benefit of silymarin (extracted from the seeds of Silybum marianum or milk thistle) in the treatment of liver diseases remains a controversial issue. Therefore, the objective of this review is to assess the clinical efficacy and safety of silymarin by application of systematic approach. 525 references were found in the databases, of which 84 papers were retained for closer examination and 36 were deemed suitable for detailed analysis. Silymarin has metabolic and cell-regulating effects at concentrations found in clinical conditions, namely carrier-mediated regulation of cell membrane permeability, inhibition of the 5-lipoxygenase pathway, scavenging of reactive oxygen species (ROS) of the R-OH type and action on DNA-expression, for example, via suppression of nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB. Pooled data from case record studies involving 452 patients with Amanita phalloides poisoning show a highly significant difference in mortality in favour of silibinin [the main isomer contained in silymarin] (mortality 9.8% vs 18.3% with standard treatment; p < 0.01). The available trials in patients with toxic (e.g. solvents) or iatrogenic (e.g. antispychotic or tacrine) liver diseases, which are mostly outdated and underpowered, do not enable any valid conclusions to be drawn on the value of silymarin. The exception is an improved clinical tolerance of tacrine. In spite of some positive results in patients with acute viral hepatitis, no formally valid conclusion can be drawn regarding the value of silymarin in the treatment of these infections. Although there were no clinical end-points in the four trials considered in patients with alcoholic liver disease, histological findings were reported as improved in two out of two trials, improvement of prothrombin time was significant (two trials pooled) and liver transaminase levels were consistently lower in the silymarin-treated groups. Therefore, silymarin may be of use as an adjuvant in the therapy of alcoholic liver disease. Analysis was performed on five trials with a total of 602 patients with liver cirrhosis. The evidence shows that, compared with placebo, silymarin produces a nonsignificant reduction of total mortality by -4.2% [odds ratio (OR) 0.75 (0.5 - 1.1)]; but that, on the other hand, the use of silymarin leads to a significant reduction in liver-related mortality of-7% [OR: 0.54 (0.3 - 0.9); p < 0.01]. An individual trial reported a reduction in the number of patients with encephalopathy of -8.7% (p = 0.06). In one study of patients with cirrhosis-related diabetes mellitus, the insulin requirement was reduced by -25% (p < 0.01). We conclude that available evidence suggests that silymarin may play a role in the therapy of (alcoholic) liver cirrhosis. Silymarin is has a good safety record and only rare case reports of gastrointestinal disturbances and allergic skin rashes have been published. This review does not aim to replace future prospective trials aiming to provide the 'final' evidence of the efficacy of silymarin.

-----------------------------------------------------

Am J Med 2002 Oct 15;113(6):506-15 Related Articles, Links

Milk thistle for the treatment of liver disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Jacobs BP, Dennehy C, Ramirez G, Sapp J, Lawrence VA.

Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA. jacobsb@ocim.ucsf.edu

PURPOSE: Milk thistle, an herbal compound, is the dietary supplement taken most frequently by patients with chronic liver disease. We performed a systematic review of the literature to determine the efficacy and safety of this herb for the treatment of liver disease. METHODS: We searched English and non-English reports through July 1999 using thirteen databases and reference lists, and contacting manufacturers and technical experts. Reviewers independently screened all reports to identify randomized placebo-controlled trials that evaluated milk thistle for the treatment of liver disease. Outcomes of primary interest included mortality, histological findings on liver biopsy specimens, serum aminotransferase and albumin levels, and prothrombin times. RESULTS: Fourteen trials met inclusion criteria. Four trials reported outcomes for mortality among 433 participants. The overall summary odds ratio for mortality in the milk thistle group compared with placebo was 0.8 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.5 to 1.5; P = 0.6). Three trials assessed histology on liver biopsy; study quality was inversely associated with the likelihood of histological benefit for milk thistle compared with placebo. There were no differences in serum alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, or albumin levels, or prothrombin times, among participants assigned to milk thistle compared with those assigned to placebo. The only statistically significant difference was a greater reduction in alanine aminotransferase levels among patients with chronic liver disease assigned to milk thistle (-9 IU/L, 95% CI: -18 to -1 IU/L; P = 0.05), but this reduction was of negligible clinical importance and no longer statistically significant after limiting analyses to studies of longer duration or of higher quality. The frequency of adverse effects was low and, in clinical trials, indistinguishable from placebo. CONCLUSION: Treatment with milk thistle appears to be safe and well tolerated. We found no reduction in mortality, in improvements in histology at liver biopsy, or in biochemical markers of liver function among patients with chronic liver disease. Data are too limited to exclude a substantial benefit or harm of milk thistle on mortality, and also to support recommending this herbal compound for the treatment of liver disease.

I use ala and milk thisle.......but have recently started using Vitimen E and Calcium D glucarate........... supposed to help the liver plus rids the body of excess estrogen..............DR

hhajdo
Thanks for the meta-analysis and the other article. I think it's even more important in light of the equivocal evidence when used alone, that we consider using several liver protectants together, as we would w/ any other antioxidants, or vitamins, or mineral supplements. "Stacking", if you will.

Thanks, that was interesting. Never saw them before. Thank you much for not posint nonsence about rats. (I hate that)

Def interesting though. Doubt ill take it though ;)

Back