Low iron levels? Anameic?

toco

My girlfriend claims to be anaemic, and on her period she gets extremely tired as she claims a lot of her iron is lossed thru blood. She has heavy bloody periods lol

What can she take?

If she thinks she may be anaemic she should probably go to a doctor. I don't think that much blood is loss either, something like 40mL over a few days. It's just the egg and endometrium isn't it?

If she thinks she may be anaemic she should probably go to a doctor. I don't think that much blood is loss either, something like 40mL over a few days. It's just the egg and endometrium isn't it?

she has been to the doc and the hospital. She was given proper tablets or something but never took them. I just realized that after I made this thread lol.

But any other suggestions? ShE CLAIMS she loses quite a bit of blood during her period and there normally quite heavy. I guess it varies from girl to girl, coz I know some chicks have there period for 4 days. And my girl has it for 7.

Gf is slightly anemic. There are two types, iron-deficiency and pernicious(B-12 deficiency). There's a very good product called "blood builder" i forgot who sells it. It contains iron, folic acid and vitamin c. VItamin c enhances the absorption of iron. Iron on an empty stomach is absorbed better as well. I would try blood builder or an iron chelate product with vitamin C. My gf has also been anemic and the symptoms are similar. I'm a nurse and a nutrition/fitness/endocrinology geek :D

P.S. She can get bloodwork, decent insurance should cover it free.

She needs 200mg of elemental iron per day, divided into 3 doses, if she has anemia. Different types of iron have different levels of elemental iron, same concept as the different esters of testosterone having more or less actual testosterone, the ester affecting the weight complex.

7 days can still be pretty average if she goes over 7 days that is a problem. I would suggest taking an iron supplement but to be careful because some iron supplements can be harsh on the stomach. She should get her vitamin B checked and her ferritin levels checked too. Also some heavy periods can be a sign of a hormonal imbalance. I would suggest she get them checked out too.
Good Luck!

If you're iron deficient it generally means your diet is lacking. Supplementing iron should only be used in cases where Ferroportin fails to pull iron stores out of cells for metabolism, or if the liver is not producing enough hepcidin (the master iron regulator). These are somewhat rare cases.

Eat more iron rich foods as DPR suggested.

I have a very rich diet in iron(huge fan of red meat,i eat plenty of dark leafy greens spinach is my favorite! :yumyum:) and i am still deficient, that is why i recommended she get her Ferritin checked because i have low levels of that. Other than that i agree with Austinite.

I have a very rich diet in iron(huge fan of red meat,i eat plenty of dark leafy greens spinach is my favorite! :yumyum:) and i am still deficient, that is why i recommended she get her Ferritin checked because i have low levels of that. Other than that i agree with Austinite.

lol, "other than that"... other than what? You agreed with everything. :)

If you're iron deficient it generally means your diet is lacking. Supplementing iron should only be used in cases where Ferroportin fails to pull iron stores out of cells for metabolism, or if the liver is not producing enough hepcidin (the master iron regulator). These are somewhat rare cases.

Eat more iron rich foods as DPR suggested.

Iron deficiency anemia is very commonly caused by heavy menstruation. Internal bleeding, as caused by ulcers, cancer, hemorrhoids, or regular aspirin use, is the most common cause.

OP mentioned his girlfriend had a very heavy period. So she is a candidate for iron supplementation.

Well, everyone is a candidate. But I see your point. It's important to note that the majority of malnutritioned humans are women. Supplementing iron without confirmation of deficiency cause is unnecessary. That will only lead to elevated RBC production if she is not really deficient.

Oh id also recommend getting her checked for Celiacs disease! It causes iron deficiency because the villi are damaged and can not hold on to the iron when it passes through!

Well, everyone is a candidate. But I see your point. It's important to note that the majority of malnutritioned humans are women. Supplementing iron without confirmation of deficiency cause is unnecessary. That will only lead to elevated RBC production if she is not really deficient.

I believe OP mentioned she had been to the doctor/hospital and been given tablets. Presumably she had been diagnosed and been given tablets.

OP your girlfriend should be using what she was given by the doctor. Why take an alternative when the remedy has already been prescribed?

Back