Need some help for girl friends workout

dfeaton

Right now she hits the gym 3-4x/week. She does pretty much the same thing evertime...whole body workout. I recommended that she break it up a bit to get better results. Like shoulders/bi/tri, chest/back, legs. I would say that she is a beginner. Oh yea & if she tells me one more time that she doesn't want to get bulky I'm going to freak. Her goals are to tone & drop some weight 20lbs.

Right now she hits the gym 3-4x/week. She does pretty much the same thing evertime...whole body workout. I recommended that she break it up a bit to get better results. Like shoulders/bi/tri, chest/back, legs. I would say that she is a beginner. Oh yea & if she tells me one more time that she doesn't want to get bulky I'm going to freak. Her goals are to tone & drop some weight 20lbs.

She's not going to listen to you until she educates herself on exercise. Thinking that lifting weights is going to turn her into a big bulky man is a pretty infantile point of view.

I hate it when women say if info weights I'll get big!! Noooooooo you won't. Men are full of testosterone, not women. I've been lifting heavy for years, I'm not big- I've reached my biggest naturally- just toned. Get her diet sorted, some HIIT and get her doing split routines but very intense and shell be sorted :)

My girl worksout with me and does my routine exactly, she works out like a man, she's 127 lbs and benching 125 , she squats 145 easy, oh and she's 5 ft 5 , she's getting ripped and gets complimented on her back all the time, she deadlifts, benches, squats, skull crushers, hang cleans, you name it

What you need to find her is a good female trainer that can show her and educate her on the subject. Its worth the investment for a couple sessions if she can show her first hand all the myths related to females lifting heavy and watever else she is scared of.

My girl worksout with me and does my routine exactly, she works out like a man, she's 127 lbs and benching 125 , she squats 145 easy, oh and she's 5 ft 5 , she's getting ripped and gets complimented on her back all the time, she deadlifts, benches, squats, skull crushers, hang cleans, you name it

Same here my girls a trainer. She does the same kind of routines as me and she looks great. She will not get bulky unless shes a man. Lifting weights will just help tone them up. Theres nothing wrong with full body workouts 3 times a week though. You don't need to split it up like that to get good results.

She can achieve good results doing full body workouts too, there are pros & cons about both full body workouts & split routines...
Eventhough split routines is what most people prefer to do.
For me personally split works better than full body.
If she's a beginner, she definitely needs to learn the basics & find a good routine for her.
She should focus on a good cardio/diet routine if she's looking to loose fat, and she should definitely drop the "I don't want to get bulky" mentallity. Like everyone else said, this is the biggest misconception some girls have, lifting weights won't make a girl bulky, since she doesn't produce testosterone naturally...
Doing a good strenght training routine, will give her a leaner, & fit look & will help her look her best.

I would have her do a session with a female trainer, that way she can learn the basics & take it from there..

I have learned that I can not tell my girlfriend anything about working out. She goes by what she feels like doing. And I told her that you will see more results by going outside of your comfort zone and pushing yourself and having a specific amount of sets, reps, exercises to shoot for. Not "hmm 1 set of this 3 sets of that"

It is like telling a wall to collapse. I can't do that...only if I forced it to. Which I am a nice guy and wouldn't do that to her.

She can achieve good results doing full body workouts too, there are pros & cons about both full body workouts & split routines...
Eventhough split routines is what most people prefer to do.
For me personally split works better than full body.
If she's a beginner, she definitely needs to learn the basics & find a good routine for her.
She should focus on a good cardio/diet routine if she's looking to loose fat, and she should definitely drop the "I don't want to get bulky" mentallity. Like everyone else said, this is the biggest misconception some girls have, lifting weights won't make a girl bulky, since she doesn't produce testosterone naturally...
Doing a good strenght training routine, will give her a leaner, & fit look & will help her look her best.

I would have her do a session with a female trainer, that way she can learn the basics & take it from there..

Thanks for the input Mrs. P. She has been going to the gym on her own off & on. She has been going with me for the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to show her a few more exercises & get her form down. I kinda kicked her ass a bit the other day. Not to be an ass just so that she can feel what a workout should feel like & not just go thru the motions. She has been staying with me for about a month while on her vacation. I have offered to pay for a personal trainer for a couple of months when she gets back home.

I have learned that I can not tell my girlfriend anything about working out. She goes by what she feels like doing. And I told her that you will see more results by going outside of your comfort zone and pushing yourself and having a specific amount of sets, reps, exercises to shoot for. Not "hmm 1 set of this 3 sets of that"

It is like telling a wall to collapse. I can't do that...only if I forced it to. Which I am a nice guy and wouldn't do that to her.

Well, I think her not wanting to take advise from u or why most women don't like to listen to their man when it comes to training is, because somehow it's been drilled into our heads that men and women are completely different species, specially when it comes to working out..lol
Sure, we're plenty different, but what some women don't realize is that our bodies function the same way as man, and once you start lifting & training, we are capable of doing the same routine as any men.. with some adjustemnts & adequate weight of course.

I think once she realizes that is ok to experiment, & yes, even listen to your advise, and she gives it a try, she'll soon figure out what works for her & what doesn't.
Not saying she has to listen to all u have to say, or try everything u suggest, but if she's a beginner, she would definety benefit from feedback from someone more experienced in the sport.

I train with Mr P & I pretty much do the same routine he does, at first we butted heads & I wasn't too sure to even try some of the things he suggested, but, he's actually helped me a lot & I've gotten really good results, so..............................
I have to say "He was right" ok
(Don't tell him I said that) or I won't hear the end of it
LOL !

Thanks for the input Mrs. P. She has been going to the gym on her own off & on. She has been going with me for the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to show her a few more exercises & get her form down. I kinda kicked her ass a bit the other day. Not to be an ass just so that she can feel what a workout should feel like & not just go thru the motions. She has been staying with me for about a month while on her vacation. I have offered to pay for a personal trainer for a couple of months when she gets back home.

Sounds like a good plan dfeaton :)

Explain to your girl that lifting weights can help her lose more weight. Lifting heavy will tighten her muscle by recruiting and building new muscle fiber over a longer period of time, which will make her muscles tighter, not bigger. She does not have the testosterone to build muscle like a man. The reason why men also grow is because they choose to, by eating more calories. Women will not grow with out proper nutrition, if she controls her diet she will be fine.
Also the new muscle she recruited, will help her burn more calories at rest. Muscle is what regulates metabolism, it takes calories to burn calories. Calories is for the body like fuel is for cars. Muscle would be like the engine, the more powerful the engine/muscle, the more you will burn.
Lifting heavy will also elevate your heart rate higher than running for a long distance will, each set of heavy squats or deads is equal to or greater than a full sprint for the amount of time you performed the set for. You get the same calories burned as you would if you did the same amount of intervals on the treadmill. Well that is if you go hard each set. But anyone I think she will get the point, and if that doesn't work you can get into lifting light weights will actually make your muscles temporarily bigger because of the increased blood flow, tearing, swelling, and fluid build up in the muscle from high rep light weight crap.
My wife is walking proof of heavy lifting don't make you big. She is 4'10 and 105lbs. Competes in figure and is nationally ranked for powerlifitng with a 240lb deadlift, 220lbs squat, and 130lb bench. Well she is ranked at 97lbs, doesn't want to cut that low anymore....Anyway, good luck with it and hope she listens to you.

Back