Need thicker Back!

Do heavy rack pulls. These will hit your upper back more and it will allow you to use more weight than standard deadlifts.

LongBall

Here is what I do for back. My back is my strongest body part.

Bent BB rows. 2x12 1x10 1x8 2x6
Seated Low rows with a strait bar and reverse grip 1x10 1x8 2x6
High rows on the Hammer machine 1x10 1x8 2x6
Lat pulls 1x10 1x8 2x6

I also do deads on back day 4 sets of stiff legs every week and heavey regular deads every other week.

Hope this helps you out.

Yep that's it. My back grows like crazy. My back an traps can over pawer the rest of my upper body. I have had good success with this routine. I aslo throw in 6 sets of shrugs with shoulder.

rack deadlifts as stated, regular deadlifts, also olympic lifts are great for stimulating upper back and trap development. So hang cleans, power cleans, high pulls would help. If youve ever seen an olympic lifter you will notice that they definately do not lack in upper back development.

a rack deadlift is also known as a 3/4 deadlift or sometimes a silver dollar deadlift. You do these on a power rack at about 18" off the ground. You do this because it puts more emphasis on your back and less on your legs. You can usually do more on a rack deadlift than on a regular deadlift.

barbell rows my man......the absolute king of back exercises IMO, it hits all areas of the back if done right, some say that 10-12 sets of barbell rows is all you really need for your back, thats a matter of opinion of course, but id definetely add them into the routine....they suck, they hurt, and theyre hell on ya, but they work

LongBall said:
Do heavy rack pulls. These will hit your upper back more and it will allow you to use more weight than standard deadlifts.

I agree, these are REALLY helping out my upper back. I also switched to standard deads compared to only doing stiffy deads before. I also moved to pullups instead of pulldowns. I also do wide grip barbell rows and a set or two of 12" or so supinated grip rows.

Miagi has a kick ass back, so I'd take that advice into consideration, but I would think that nearly everyone does rows, I think they are a core lift for the back.

I think the best exercise for back THICKNESS is power cleans. I alternate them every other week with deadlifts. After I've done one of those, I do pullups or pulldowns, T bar rows or barbell rows, and usually finish with seated rows.

Mudge said:
Miagi has a kick ass back, so I'd take that advice into consideration, but I would think that nearly everyone does rows, I think they are a core lift for the back.

thx my man..i appreciate it....i always start with rows, then usually hit weighted pull ups.....then of course add some sissy exercises to it.....works for me, not to say itll work for everyone. be cool

death on the field said:
a rack deadlift is also known as a 3/4 deadlift or sometimes a silver dollar deadlift. You do these on a power rack at about 18" off the ground. You do this because it puts more emphasis on your back and less on your legs. You can usually do more on a rack deadlift than on a regular deadlift.

So you start the lift at 18" instead of of the floor but the lift style stays the same?

thers a great workout a friend of mine did involving steps to deadlifting.......something about starting with partial deads off a rack, and working your way up to full deads over the course of 8 weeks.....then moving on to deading off plates....he got to the point where he deadlifted 600lbs for a triple off 2, 45 pound plates...pretty impressive.....i think he got it from nebraska football.

Back