New sugar substitute??

carljaxx005

Anyone out there heard of or tried a product called Stevia?? Ive been reading up on sugar substitutes and Ive heard all good things compared to Splenda, Equal, etc....

it's not new. it is an herb. it is quite sweet but you have to be right on with the portions used or it tastes awful.

In-human recomended vanilla double stevia and i ordered it once and it wasnt so bad but the after taste is bitter.

Different ppl seems to perceive Stevia differently. It is by no means a perfect sweetener, but it isn't artificial either.

I'd rather eat sugar than any of these sweeteners.

You try and "mimick" the taste of sugar, but they all taste like chemicals especially aspertame and ruin whatever you are eating or drinking.

The only time I have sweetener is in my TP protein mixes. Any other time I use the sugar version, instead of sweetener.

watch out!

i'm by no mean san expert on this but i have a power eating book right here and here is the stuff it sais on stevia word for word.

"The main ingrediant in stevia is steviosid; it si virtually calorie free and is hundreds of times sweeter than suger. Stevia has not been widly tested, but in some animal studies it has been shown to adversely affect the male reproductive system, cause mutations in genetic materials of cells, and interfere with the absorbtion of carbohydrates. Most nutritional experts say that it is fine to use little stevia once or twice a day in a cup of tea or other food. More studies are needed on this herb to fully determine its saftey profile."

Again this is exactly what it said word for word, the person who wrote the book is very knowledgable inthe nutrition department. just hearing these words aren't enough for some people because it sais nothing about the doses used in the animal studies and it doesn;t name the animals. plus it doesn't say if stevia was the only thing given at the time of consumption. i encourage you to research more on stevia before using it. The only AS i recommend is sucrulose, or splenda. it has tons of studies on it from animal to human and they have all been found to be very safe. it is by far the safest AS out there and i think it tastes great. there are also others like asulfame k, aspartame, tagatose, neotame, saccharin, stevia, and suger alcohols. i recommend researching on ypou own to decide what to take.

Back