Onk Spring 2016 Contest Prep

Nice pics Onk! Good competition, now you know what you need to do to improve.

Take a week off, enjoy the vaca from the gym then hit it hard again. Looking forward to seeing your progress brother

Thanks for the photos. I always wanted to see you :) I like that rear double and 3/4 double bicep. Your back is good.

that's the oddness of photography, while I like my upper back (needs to be thicker), my posterior chain is quite poor, hams need work, quad sweep work, biceps more work >> chest and abs are generally quite strong as are triceps....however, the photos say otherwise!

Nice pics Onk! Good competition, now you know what you need to do to improve.

Take a week off, enjoy the vaca from the gym then hit it hard again. Looking forward to seeing your progress brother

hah, i competed sat and went to the gym again sunday, and haven't taken a day off yet!

I def know what I need to improve and my lower back into hams def needs works. glute/ham raises + DLs will get things going (I have injured my lower back so many times) again.

now that it's been 6 days I'm JUST short of hitting maintenance again with calories @ 3300 per day, will hit 3500 on Monday and stay there for a week, then prob bulk around 4000 or so.

On comp day I was 94, day after 97 and monday 100.5kg (221lb)...so I don't want to put on weight too quickly as I am hoping that quick gain is water and glycogen. Have to be sure.

From there, it's more a bulk until 240lbs whilst keeping 10% bf

Ya know Onk, I have a habit of critiquing someone and sometimes offend them because at time like this they want more of a general compliment . When I come straight off the dock with saying , well looking good but ya know you need to work on this that and the other, it comes off offensive.

I see many areas for improvement of course and you hit on them yourself and that's good as you know. No need to reiterate them. I wanted to see where the thread went and you before I came out with it.

Done deal my man and you're coming along real good. Just hard work on the lacking areas. Thanks again for the pics and your own critique :) ....OMM

Mature muscles take time brother. You're young, and time is on your side. You keep working like you have been, and great things are in store my good man.

I will say this... you're very symmetrical. Nothing really overshadows anything else. That's a good thing. A few of your competitors had better conditioning, or you was a little flat. That cost you a few points.

I watched a big show last weekend. You put guys next to each other and it makes it easy to pick weak points.
Looking forward to see you overcome, improvise and adapt.

Be very careful trying get to add lower back thickness with deads. I have herniated disks and it's something one rarely comes back from without issue. I get one hella pump from front squats. I see you do them as well.

Last edited:
Mature muscles take time brother. You're young, and time is on your side. You keep working like you have been, and great things are in store my good man.

I will say this... you're very symmetrical. Nothing really overshadows anything else. That's a good thing. A few of your competitors had better conditioning, or you was a little flat. That cost you a few points.

I watched a big show last weekend. You put guys next to each other and it makes it easy to pick weak points.
Looking forward to see you overcome, improvise and adapt.

Be very careful trying get to add lower back thickness with deads. I have herniated disks and it's something one rarely comes back from without issue. I get one hella pump from front squats. I see you do them as well.

good advice, I'll be careful.

and you're correct on the muscle maturity, every guy in that back comparison with me is over 8 years older and has been BBIng for 8 years +, whereas for me I've been doing it 2.5 years.

That made me feel better.

But you're also correct, some were leaner than me as well.

Not sure if I should read into this, but when the announcer read out everyone's Name, Occupation and Gym....I was one of two with a white colour job of around 140 guys. The other was an engineer. Rest are driving trucks, PTs, retail clerks, plumbers etc. I don't know if that helps them having more labour intensive jobs compared to me who sits at a computer 12 hours a day....or BBers are generally not degree educated/professional types. I'd be interested to know why

You look great, especially 2.5 years in. I haven't seen checker board abs on my stomach since... ever. So I have zero advice as to how you could improve your conditioning.

You already said it bro....you won't look the same in 6-8 years much less 2 years. If was that easy then everybody would be an Adonis right? I firmly believe you're doing the right things to attain your goal

Last edited:
that's the oddness of photography, while I like my upper back (needs to be thicker), my posterior chain is quite poor, hams need work, quad sweep work, biceps more work >> chest and abs are generally quite strong as are triceps....however, the photos say otherwise!

hah, i competed sat and went to the gym again sunday, and haven't taken a day off yet!

I def know what I need to improve and my lower back into hams def needs works. glute/ham raises + DLs will get things going (I have injured my lower back so many times) again.

I'm in the same boat...glutes and hamstrings lacking....but u are way ahead of me so don't feel bad.
I developed a little knee issue, prob tendinitis, so I decided to lay off squats altogether and focus on Hamstrings for a while. I still do very light quad work but since the hams are lacking ....
So sldl and rdl's are a must but I'm getting major back tightness. So I found doino sumo style RDL's really works a wonder for me. I can go heavy and my lower back feels fine. I also feel it more in my hams with a better mind Muscle connect.
My legs need to get bigger and quads are too dominant! So if I can bring up the hammys that will really give my legs the right look.

Onk as far as hamstring work goes would you incorporate sprints into your training?

Back