problem with transferring my gear

DTIreland

I have a wee problem with transferring my gear. I filter using a 500 ml SteriTop Filter into a receiver flask with a 33mm neck. My problem is this:

How do I get the gear from the receiver flask into some 10ml bottles (unsealed, sealing myself) without exposing 2 too much of the air? I know I could sterilise a beaker and poor the filtered gear in to this, draw it with 10ml syringes and put in to vials but I think this would expose the gear 2 too much air after filtration as it will take ages to fill out all the vials? What do you think? Is there a better way?

another quick question or two,

What is the maximum filtration pressure that the glass receiver flask and filter will take?

What temperature would you recommend I have the gear at for maximum throughput when filtrating? Too cold and its slow a fu*k, too hot and say goodbye to the filter…

Cheers

Don't worry so much about exposing the oil to air. Just pour it into a beaker and pour it into the vials. Or use a syringe. I use a syringe because my vials are pre-sealed. Purchased a 60mL syring that I use to fill 20 or 50mL vials.

Do you have those plastic receiver flasks? If so, then they can only officially withstand like 5Hg of pressure, which sucks and which is part of the reason I didn't buy that kind. I use Nalgene bottle top filters (thanks rjh for the recommendation) and glass receiver flasks. I use the 45mm top. I've filters both room temperature oil and also warm oil. 10Hg and it does that job, no problems with speed. But I'm also using a new kind of Naglene bottle-top filter that is supposed to offer superior flowrate.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me

Thanks for getting back to me, it’s a glass receiver flask with 45mm neck (not 33m as I previously stated). So it wont do any harm to expose the gear to the air for a few seconds, that’s good to know..

Will have to checkout the Naglene bottle-top filter to see how much better the flow rate is. Is the filter .22u? How many ml can you filter in an hour?

Another question springs to mind, when Im putting the rubber stopper in is it advisable to give it a wipe with sterile wipe first?

DTIreland said:
Thanks for getting back to me, it*s a glass receiver flask with 45mm neck (not 33m as I previously stated). So it wont do any harm to expose the gear to the air for a few seconds, that*s good to know..
Just make sure there isn't a log of dust and whatnot, and you can certainly expose it to the air longer than a few seconds. No problems.

DTIreland said:
Will have to checkout the Naglene bottle-top filter to see how much better the flow rate is. Is the filter .22u? How many ml can you filter in an hour?
I purchased the .22, 500mL volume. I would imagine the entire 500mL can be done in the hour, probably less, especailly if the oil is warm.

DTIreland said:
Another question springs to mind, when Im putting the rubber stopper in is it advisable to give it a wipe with sterile wipe first?
Is the rubber stopper sterile? If not, then dip it in isopropyl alcohol and make SURE to let it dry before using it to seal.

DougoeFre5h said:
Took me 3 hours to filter 400ml of test enan 250mg/ml (room temp oil) at 15-20 in hg
Damn, I guess that this new kind of filter that I'm using really does have a superior flow-rate.

No, the stoppers are not sterile. Will i actually dip them in isopropyl alcohol or rub with an alcohol wipe?

mranak said:
Damn, I guess that this new kind of filter that I'm using really does have a superior flow-rate.

your avatar has a superior flow rate fo sho. damn dats hot.......

DTIreland said:
No, the stoppers are not sterile. Will i actually dip them in isopropyl alcohol or rub with an alcohol wipe?
I would dip them using tweezers, personally using 90% isopropyl alcohol (dries faster). Not sure about the alcohol wipe. Depends if you can get the entire surface area with the alcohol wipe or not.

DougoeFre5h said:
Should used them. Although I tried a prefilter with my shit and I think the damn thing slowed the process down.

I usually use a 1um pre-filter but I didn't notice that it slowered down the filtration much... most of the times i use a .22 stericup and a lower pressure(~10 Hg).

what brand are you using?

Back