Protein Shakes - do they work?

outlawtas

I'm trying to think about this logically.

If protein shakes do in fact work, then why can they not be used 100% as a protein replacement? I just don't get it becuase if protein is protein then it shouldn't matter. And if they can't be used as a full replacement, then that would seem to me that they are not effective, then why use them?

I just don't really think there is a middle ground...either they work or they don't. Maybe you have some evidence, other than opinion, to prove them either way?

I would think that they could be used as 100% protein replacement, but you would be missing out on the rest of the nutritional value that real protein sources provides.

That's my guess.

Also.......when low carbing/high protein days, shakes just wouldn't curb your hunger. Real protein sources barely curb my hunger on those days!!!

Miss Muscle said:
I would think that they could be used as 100% protein replacement, but you would be missing out on the rest of the nutritional value that real protein sources provides.

That's my guess.

Though your point is valid, I've read from many sources that the nutrional value of our food is severly restricted due to genetic engineering and lack of basic nutrients in the soil anyways....

Suareezay said:
do they "work"? yes.

would replacing real food with powder be optimal? no.

See I don't really understand this. Either they work, or they don't. Now, I'm not talking health here, I'im strictly reffering to lbm gains. How can they "half" work?

Suareezay said:
do they "work"? yes.

would replacing real food with powder be optimal? no.

if you only ate real food that was dried and blended into a powder would you not grow?

Tafman said:
if you only ate real food that was dried and blended into a powder would you not grow?
nice try professor, but you know im referring to protein powder, and its conclusive that protein powder is inferior in regards to nutrients to whole food sources.

whether drying food and blending it affects its nutrional value is beyond me.

See I don't really understand this. Either they work, or they don't. Now, I'm not talking health here, I'im strictly reffering to lbm gains. How can they "half" work?
so you dont grasp the concept of the degree to which things are optimal or not?

powder provides necessary aminos for protein synthesis.
real food protein sources provide necessary aminos + vitamins and minerals.

which do you think is more optimal?

I think the reason you can't blend everything is because you lose the fiber content. I could be wrong though.

I think protein shakes could be used as your only protein source. But as was said earlier......it's definately not optimal. I have 3-4 actual protein sources per day, and I drink 2-3 shakes per day because actual protein sources are so bloody expensive.

I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you posted this thread. So long as you are getting enough vitamins and minerals, I don't see why using shakes as your only protein source would be inferior to eating chicken breasts, steaks, etc. also.

outlawtas2 said:
I'm trying to think about this logically.

If protein shakes do in fact work, then why can they not be used 100% as a protein replacement? I just don't get it becuase if protein is protein then it shouldn't matter. And if they can't be used as a full replacement, then that would seem to me that they are not effective, then why use them?

I just don't really think there is a middle ground...either they work or they don't. Maybe you have some evidence, other than opinion, to prove them either way?
Your logic is your problem on this one. Is deca a 100% replacement for test? If not then it must be no good so why use it?

Protein is not protein. Different aminos are in different things. If protein were protein, why wouldn't everybody use the cheapest whey concentrate out there? Why would milk protein or egg protein be beneficial?

There are different proteins that help you. Whey is derived from a food source, but you are limited to the offerings of that one source rather than the varied aminos of differing protein sources. There is no 1 to 1 relationship here as you are trying to rationalize.

well i had a nice long reply typed out but my computer lost it so fcuk it.
i aint retyping all that. basically what swellin said.

After working out dont take any protein see how you feel the next day or whatever then next month try taking protein after working out then see what happens....see if protein works or not. who knows...

It was just a question I was pondering...IMO if you weigh the gains vs. price of protein I think you would it a much better investment to buy food/gym payments/gear anyways. :)

Suareezay said:
powder provides necessary aminos for protein synthesis.
real food protein sources provide necessary aminos + vitamins and minerals.

which do you think is more optimal?

In other words, protein shakes are not as good as food...so why pay out the ass for them?

outlawtas2 said:
In other words, protein shakes are not as good as food...so why pay out the ass for them?
Typically foods also contains fats and or carbs as well. You can't hit your macros as easily without the shakes. You also have times that you want a fast absorbing protein instead of a slab of chicken.
There are times that you can't eat what you want and a shake helps tremendously.

It seems as though you have decided that protein shakes are worthless and you are only paying attention to posts that reflect that point of view.

Drop them if you feel that way. See for yourself how much harder it is to put on quality muscle without them....or not. :afro:

probally not as good as food but they have there purpose there convienent and more economical then eating 5 lbs of meat aday

Swellin said:
It seems as though you have decided that protein shakes are worthless and you are only paying attention to posts that reflect that point of view.

No one can really give a straight answer, but like I said, cost vs. gains they don't seem worth the investment. I will keep using them however. lol. :)

outlawtas2 said:
It was just a question I was pondering...IMO if you weigh the gains vs. price of protein I think you would it a much better investment to buy food/gym payments/gear anyways. :)
1. whey is digested faster than whole food proteins. If you are in a situation where you need fast digestion, that is an advantage. casein is digested very slowly. Casein powder provides a fat free, carb free source of it for people who are in a situation which calls for it.
2. powder is more convenient than food.
3. as long as youre not paying retail for it, powder is cheaper than most foods, including canned tuna and chicken.

Back