pure bodyweight workouts

teej

whats your guys' opinions about doing almost purely bodyweight workouts, pushups, pullups, dips bodyweight squats and lunges?

Love BW exercises, so much variation if you have some creativity, and the best for true functional strentgh.

BUT BUT....what are your goals?

goals: get stronger, more shredded, more cut, lose some bf. also would like to increase speed and vertical leap. im a small guy in pretty good shape and fairly cut already, just trying to improve on that.

im not trying to get huge, so from what i've read, bw workouts are great for those goals but i feel like my bench and other lifts will weaken. will that actually get me stronger or just be able to do more pushups and pullups because there is a difference.

BW workouts are great. But do add some resistance training in there if you want to increase speed and vertical. Squat jumps with a weight vest. Power clean and power snatch are two of the best exercises for adding to your speed and vertical power. Lots of sprints up hills, also do sprints down hill so you work overspeed training. Throw a day of heavy deads or squats, bench presses, and Rows into the mix if you are worried about losing the strength cause just 1 day a week heavy should help you maintain. Also try interval training when doing bodyweight exercises for ex. 10 squat thrusts, 10 squat thrusts with pushup at bottom, 10 squat thrust with pushup then jump and grap pull-up bar and go straight into a pullup. 10x10x10 is one set. Add a weight vest if necessary, Oh and also man, Do sand bag training. IT is killer

goals: get stronger, more shredded, more cut, lose some bf. also would like to increase speed and vertical leap. im a small guy in pretty good shape and fairly cut already, just trying to improve on that.

im not trying to get huge, so from what i've read, bw workouts are great for those goals but i feel like my bench and other lifts will weaken. will that actually get me stronger or just be able to do more pushups and pullups because there is a difference.

Dynamic and body weight training routines are phenominal for athletes or those looking to increase performance.. If you know what your doing, they are great when combined with Plyometric and isometric principles and will put you in the best shape of your life!! No joke! Now if you want to gain lots of pure mass, probably not the routine for you.
Keep in mind though, its more then just doing pullups, pushups, and situps.. its all in how you do everything, in what combinations, and in what order, etc..

Back