PWO shake or eating a meal after lifting session?

Dlove

Product of Test
Just curious to hear some feedback on those that have a nice meal 30 minutes after training like lean meat, rice and veggies opposed to the typical pound a whey shake with maltodextrin or waxy maize and wait 1 and half hrs then have a meal.

I must say when I have time and I tried a meal afterwards my recovery was so much better.

i like pwo shakes.. but whole foods will always come first..

i dont see an issue with having a shake pwo with semi-simple carbs, waiting an hour, and eating your meal either...

I use both. As soon as I walk in the door from the gym the eating begins.
My post workout meal is this;
50g whey in water (fast acting)
50g of simple carbs (juice)
shower- let the above absorb
1 cup of boiled, chopped chicken breast
1 steamed sweet potato
This comes out around 100g of protein and 100g's of carbs.
My largest of 5 meals per day.

I agree I have always noticed better gains from whole food rather than shakes. I honestly believe to many people rely to much on shakes.A protien shake is a supplement and a should be used to supplement what you can not get from food. I agree with 3J and JMB1 with doing both post workout. A shake immediatly after working out to hold you till you can get some really food.

I agree I have always noticed better gains from whole food rather than shakes. I honestly believe to many people rely to much on shakes.A protien shake is a supplement and a should be used to supplement what you can not get from food. I agree with 3J and JMB1 with doing both post workout. A shake immediatly after working out to hold you till you can get some really food.

with all the research I have done I have found the most optimal approach to be a shake as soon as I get to my car which consists of almond milk, waxy maize and whey, which comes to a 3 to 1 carb to protein ratio and then as soon as I get home I eat Chicken breast and some kind of complex carb.

As everyone knows, PWO your muscles really need some nutrients to recover. I dont think there is any solid whole food that will fill this need as fast an efficient as a shake. You can get close but a shake is still superior in delivering what your muscles need PWO.

yeah, even an hour later, my partner still doesn't have an appetite for a real meal.. I know he does a post workout shake and looks great. maybe its a matter of preference.

Back