Question about Close Grip Bench

Darco76

I know that close grip is for triceps....

i was wondering today at the gym today...
if you were to do a decline close grip...your not doing anything differnt are ya...i mean close grip is close grip?

thanx
~Stupid/Confused haha

It might put a different stress on the muscle, but I'm not convinced that doing a bunch of different angles on a muscle really changes the shape much.....tricep work is tricep work.

I thought the same thing....it was just an idea i had today while doing it earlier...thought i would ask the people on here....

i didn't think the guy sitting on the bench talking on his cell phone for 30 min. str8 with a 25 lbs dumbell sitting on his lap would know hahah

thanks bro

Blake8581 said:
I thought the same thing....it was just an idea i had today while doing it earlier...thought i would ask the people on here....

i didn't think the guy sitting on the bench talking on his cell phone for 30 min. str8 with a 25 lbs dumbell sitting on his lap would know hahah

thanks bro

Oh shit....when that happens I just get cranky and tell them I need to use the bench.....I don't let folks get away with that when I workout. Its workout or get out of my way.

Moving the excersise from a flat to a declined angle, simply shortens the motion of the lift. When performing close-grip benches, you should have your elbows IN, and the bar should be touching at about mid-stomach level, or an inch or 2 below where you touch with regular flats. It would be hard to keep the elbows in on that angle.

Now that Im thinking about it, it would be hard to keep the wrists locked into position too while trying these on a decline, as the weight would be rolling back into the palms, and forcing the wrists to bend back.

I don't think it is a very good idea to be frank.

good deal...thanx for the reply....thats why my wrist are hurting so bad when im threw doing them...im putting more 'back pressure' on my wrist...
thanx alot

I was going to say the exact same thing SkedMedz said.

Just one of the many reasons CG bench is better for triceps is the greater ROM, and declines decrease the ROM.

well answer me this guys....how come im not feeling my tri's the next morning after i work them hard.
is there anything else i can do that really makes them work

close grip 4 sets 10x 8x 6x 4x usually ending with 225
then i go to rope pull downs with the same sets/rep
and then add pull downs

any thing yall might can help me with?

Blake8581 said:
well answer me this guys....how come im not feeling my tri's the next morning after i work them hard.
is there anything else i can do that really makes them work

Your problem COULD be your mind-to-muscle connection. Of course, it is pretty easy to use your chest in the Close-Grip exercise if you're just concerned with getting the weight up. But if you are using the proper mind-to-muscle technique, then concentrating fully on your tri's doing the work should end up giving you some soreness.

You could also be possibly not be doing enough work for your tri's to ge sore. Personally I do 4 sets of Close-Grip, 4 sets of Cable Pushdowns and 4 sets of Overhead Dumbell extensions. Now this works for me because I have learned over the years how my body reacts so my suggestion of doing more sets may be a moot point since your body could react totally different then mine with respect to bodybuilding.

But those are some things to think about.

good reply biggie..thanx...

i just didn't know if maybe i was
1) not training them properly
2) not working them hard enough

i think im not working out my bis/tris right *right form* beacuse my wrist kill me afterwards...

like what skedz said... i don't do my closegrip where its mid stomacke with my arms pressed in.... i think i put all the weight more on my wrist, which is bad....

thanks for all replys bro

I did decline close grip bench a few days ago and liked it. I can move the same amount of weight. I felt the decline more in my triceps, so i;m going too stick with it.

something you could try to really get those tris pumped...is do some skullcrushers...and when you finish that set, immediately move the bar down to your chest and start doing c.g. benchpresses then...works wonders for my tris

Try these. Take the handles that you would use for cable-crossovers, and attach them BOTH to one side of the cable, as a height similar to that of your regular pushdowns. Grap the two handles with your knuckles facing each other, and do pushdowns in this manner. Elbows LOCKED. It hits the outer head like no other imo.

Another is one-arm rope pushdowns. In my opinion, people should add WAY WAY more single-arm techniques to their routines. I started to utilize a ton of them a month or 2 ago. I never realized how much my left side was weaker ON ITS' OWN, than my right. You can spot yourself on these too, which is an added perk.

that sounds pretty good..i'll have to try the Handle workout
thanx

i know that tris' are the way to go for arm wise...its just i need to tweek some things on my arm workouts..because im not seeing the results that i would like....and these are ways to adjust...not for bis all i do is dumbell curls...bar pull downs... is there anythign im missing..
sorry for all the dumb questions, im just kinda frusturated

Don't worry about asking questions. It is probably something all of us should spend more time doing. And on that note: how far apart are your hands when you execute a close grip bench?

Back