Question about Close Grip Bench

Blake8581 said:
well answer me this guys....how come im not feeling my tri's the next morning after i work them hard.
is there anything else i can do that really makes them work

close grip 4 sets 10x 8x 6x 4x usually ending with 225
then i go to rope pull downs with the same sets/rep
and then add pull downs

any thing yall might can help me with?
try reverse grip benches with elbows tucked in your tris and front delt will definately let you know it the next day

reverse grip...like my knuckles facing me dadawg??

also skeds...
i was curious to that 'double handles' for your tris....so i did a set to see it..it seems that it will work..but your knuckles will hit eachother..am i doing it right?

Blake8581 said:
catalyst...

about 2-3 inchs. apart

That is WAY too narrow in my opinion. Ring fingers on the ends of the outer diamond plated grip.

Your knuckles don't have to hit each other when doing those handle tricep pushdowns. Just make sure you kep them apart. Focus.;)

skeds...gotchya

like i said, i went in there today, and tried them before i did back...and im glad that i was doing it right..it did seem that it would work the hell out of them, looking foward for next week...
on on the CG...maybe thats why i was having so much strain on my wrist, having to much of a narrow grip

Blake8581 said:
skeds...gotchya

like i said, i went in there today, and tried them before i did back...and im glad that i was doing it right..it did seem that it would work the hell out of them, looking foward for next week...
on on the CG...maybe thats why i was having so much strain on my wrist, having to much of a narrow grip

No maybe about it. That is why you were having pain. At that narrow of grip, your wrists are being forced BACK and to the outside--a postition that they aren't designed to go in. If you have ever taken a Martial Art that includes joint-locking techniques in its arsenal, that is the way you turn a wrist for a wrist lock...pretty much. So widen your grip brother.

I like to use the ez curl bar, is easy on the wrists. The straight bar always left my wrists aching.

E-Swift25 said:
I like to use the ez curl bar, is easy on the wrists. The straight bar always left my wrists aching.

How could you possibly be going heavy enough while only using that bar?? I do 2 sets. First a warmup with #135. Then a workset of 8 with #275. No way could I get close that that weight on a curlbar. Those are only 1/2-decent if they are second in a superset with skullcrushers. Even then, they are too light. In my opinion.

Blake8581 said:
reverse grip...like my knuckles facing me dadawg??

also skeds...
i was curious to that 'double handles' for your tris....so i did a set to see it..it seems that it will work..but your knuckles will hit eachother..am i doing it right?
flip your hands 180 degrees around from a conventionak grip try it with just the bar until you get the feel for it and always take a handoff its rough on the shoulders to unrack the weight rgrip ,use a wide grip , elbows in , the groove is a little lower on the chest than conventional grip , dont death grip the bar it just lays in the groove running from the index finger running across the hand and down to the base of your hand . your hands will be turned slightly so that the index finger will point more down the bar towards the plates than back at you like the other fingers , your thumb will point this way slightly also . give it a try it is a awesome tricep and front delt excercise with a lot less chest involvement than conventional grip benching

SkedMedz said:
How could you possibly be going heavy enough while only using that bar?? I do 2 sets. First a warmup with #135. Then a workset of 8 with #275. No way could I get close that that weight on a curlbar. Those are only 1/2-decent if they are second in a superset with skullcrushers. Even then, they are too light. In my opinion.

Well, you're pushing a little more weight than I am. I don't go above 205 on close grip :)

yea..i can only do about 225 on cg....but on a easy curl, my wrist fucking kill me...on a reg. bar, doesnt hurt near as bad
bu ti have to redo my form, like skeds said

I know that close grip is for triceps....

i was wondering today at the gym today...
if you were to do a decline close grip...your not doing anything differnt are ya...i mean close grip is close grip?

thanx
~Stupid/Confused haha

As per MRI testing ,close grip bench done on a decline board hits the triceps much intenser than the regular one on a flat board..try it and see the difference

Back