Question about deadlift

Melbourne

I've been doing deadlifts for about 4 months now. I'm just gettin to a weight which is a good workout. I think my form is pretty good as I've taken the time to get it right with lower weights.

There's one glaring problem with my technique and that is I hit my knees with the bar on the way up and less often on the way down. Its not every time, but it is often enough to be a problem.

Is this a common problem? Is there likely to be one element of my technique which I'm getting wrong?

Some people beat the shit out of their legs when they deadlift.

Shins and knees take a beating.

Try wearing long pants when you DL.

I know a couple people that wear pads on their shins when they DL.

What style are you using to pull? COnvo or sumo?

Buy soccer shin guards and tape them to your legs.

For those of you complaning about shins getting beat up try using a brandnew out of the box okie DL bar. THem basterds are like shark teeth.

I love that feeling. It'll only make your grip stronger.

Anyway, never hit my knees on deads. Don't know why that happens to certain people.

I'm 6'1". I use a conventional stance. My feet are about shoulder width apart. I've never drawn blood, but I've hit my shins and knees hard enough for it to shit me. If it is, as it seems from the responses here, merely an occupational hazard of deadlifting, I''ll learn to live with it. Cheers fellas.

i bleed in the shins... if you wear pants wear the swooshy pants, or bring baby powder in the gym and put it on your shins it pads it sorta and makes it more slippery.

You learn to deal with it. I hit my knees sometimes too when I lift up. You'll get some cuts and the occasional bruise, but nothing serious. If it really bothers you, go get some knee pads.

try switching to sumo since your relatively new to the lift... see if you're comfortable, else just put powder on your shins as suggested and live with it.

silver_shadow said:
try switching to sumo since your relatively new to the lift... see if you're comfortable, else just put powder on your shins as suggested and live with it.

I'd prefer to stay away from the sumo stance except for a warm up or cool down. I like to do the heaviest weight in as normal a stance as possible. The idea being that it is more similar to running and driving through a tackle which is why I'm doing weight training in the first place.

Back