shoulder pain/irritation

pokkeyy

Ok before i get started, please do't tell me that nothing is beter than a doctor and that i should get an mri and all that jazz. I know this and trust me as soon as i get the money i am there... till then i need advice to get by....
with that said, about 3 years ago i was doing lateral raises and i felt a twing in my right shoulder. well it was irriated for a month or so and i laid off lifting. well now i have recently been lifting heavy again (but i no longer lift shoulders b/c of fear of pain) so i was doing chest presses and push-ups. Next thing i know my sholder is burning. It continued to hurt all week. It is not a specific pain or in a specific area. It is an ache in the anterior portion (around the a/c joint).

ANyway, i think it mihgt be impingement except i can pass all the 'special tests' that trianers and doctors do for that, so i am stumped. Anyone have any ideas of what mihgt relieve the pain (temporarily) just so i can get my work outs in?

Are you talking OTC?? (I hope)

I have bad news - if Aleve or anti-inflammatories don't work then I'm not sure anything short of prescription will.

Definitly get started on some glucosamine as that will help with recovery but it will take a week or two to see a difference.

Lots of very careful stretching.

Only ideas I have short of what you don't want to hear.

Good luck

IMO you shouldn't been taking pain relievers to "get through" your workouts. If you're hurt, you need to give it time to heal. Just think of it as an oppertunity to bring up your legs :D.

Strech -
- In a door jam, place both forearms on sides of door and lean in to strech the chest out for 20 seconds, keep you head up. Repeat 3 times.

Exercise -
- Start doing rotator cuff exercises every day for at least 20 minutes before you lift. I know that seems like a long time, but if you want to lift for the rest of your life you just might have to resign yourself to it.

Therepy -
- Take an anti-inflametory AFTER you workout to reduce swelling
- Ice the joint. Buy a big back of frozen peas at the store, ice 20 minutes, heat 20 minutes, repeat.

Hope you feel better.

Faye said:
IMO you shouldn't been taking pain relievers to "get through" your workouts. If you're hurt, you need to give it time to heal. Just think of it as an oppertunity to bring up your legs :D.

WEl i haven't been taking anything at all. 3 years ago when this first happened i took a month off and have not lifted heavy since. I have just recently started lifting again and that is how the pain reflared up.

I am getting elasti joit (recommended by Fyre) and hoping htat will start to help the joint a little.

Strech -
- In a door jam, place both forearms on sides of door and lean in to strech the chest out for 20 seconds, keep you head up. Repeat 3 times.[/B][/QUOTE]

i warm up and stretch like crazy (thik i spend more time on the warm-up than the exercise it self :D

Faye said:
Exercise -
- Start doing rotator cuff exercises every day for at least 20 minutes before you lift. I know that seems like a long time, but if you want to lift for the rest of your life you just might have to resign yourself to it.

yeah i had avoided anything shoulder related out of fear of reinjury or pain.. but i will start

Faye said:
Therepy -
- Take an anti-inflametory AFTER you workout to reduce swelling
- Ice the joint. Buy a big back of frozen peas at the store, ice 20 minutes, heat 20 minutes, repeat.

Hope you feel better.

man i hate peas how about corn:D :cool: ;)

thanks a ton for the advice (everyone!!!). i will give it all a try....

thanks brennylee! that article was great. I liked the exercises they gave. I will slowly start trianing my shoulders again and see if the strength might eliminate the pain. Like I said, I am pretty sure it isnt a tear (not yet at least) So I am trying to do what ever i can to avoid serious injury but still workout.

that was some great advice that faye gave....I have that same shoulder thing, it pops in the rotator cuff and I have seen doctors and all they want me to do is have surgery. The excersises with low weights should help strengthen it just make sure to go easy on it in order to not damage it any more! :( Hope u feel better!!

Back