Shoulder pain

E

estray

Ive had this nagging pain in my right deltoid now for about 3 months. It really only hurts when im lifting specifically pressing movements, otherwise i really dont notice it. Its seriously hindering my ability to move forward though as i can only handle working with 275lbs tops for sets now on bench whereas i was using 325 before. I went to the doc at first he said he thought it was just inflammed and gave me naproxin and that did nothing. I took 2 weeks completely off and that didnt seem to help either. Its weird, lifting doesnt make it any worse and taking time off doesnt make it any better. Im at a loss.

Any ideas???

Ive had this nagging pain in my right deltoid now for about 3 months. It really only hurts when im lifting specifically pressing movements, otherwise i really dont notice it. Its seriously hindering my ability to move forward though as i can only handle working with 275lbs tops for sets now on bench whereas i was using 325 before. I went to the doc at first he said he thought it was just inflammed and gave me naproxin and that did nothing. I took 2 weeks completely off and that didnt seem to help either. Its weird, lifting doesnt make it any worse and taking time off doesnt make it any better. Im at a loss.

Any ideas???

as i got oilder i had to do my own rehab in order to continue lifting heavy , powerlifting is rough on the shoulders. besides a LOT of stretching everyday and especially preworkout we invested in a shoulder horn that we used every time we went to the gym .

ShoulderHorn Rotator Cuff Exercise Device

believe it or not heavy squatting is just as bad if not worse than presses on the shoulders.

You say you've got a pain in your deltoid but you don't say which part. The shoulder is a complex and highly unstable joint. Your pain may be due to injury of a particular part of the joint whether that is bone, tendon, muscle or whatever. It might also be due to imbalance between one muscle and another. That, your technique might be wrong or your program may need adjusting.

Or you might just be getting old and need to learn to live with it. That's what my doctor tells me.

is it like a clicking when you do benchpress/ shoulder press and other movements like that? could be that the rotators are too tight. you should do excersies to loosen them up.

You say you've got a pain in your deltoid but you don't say which part. The shoulder is a complex and highly unstable joint. Your pain may be due to injury of a particular part of the joint whether that is bone, tendon, muscle or whatever. It might also be due to imbalance between one muscle and another. That, your technique might be wrong or your program may need adjusting.

Or you might just be getting old and need to learn to live with it. That's what my doctor tells me.

Its not in the joint, its in right in the middle of the deltoid. My bench techniqe is very good, ive had it critiqued before to see if that was the issue.

is it like a clicking when you do benchpress/ shoulder press and other movements like that? could be that the rotators are too tight. you should do excersies to loosen them up.

No clicking. I do exercises to warm them up including one with a broomstick where you hold it out in front of you with both hands and then bring it up and over your head and behind you. Doesnt help much.

you say you took 2 weeks off? Muscle tears can take longer to heal, especially in heavily used muscle groups such as the deltoid that get little time for recovery. The MD may not be wrong, of course it may be inflamed but the time allowed for rest may not have been enough. Just a suggestion.

Do you see any bruising, skin coloration or noticeable internal bleeding?

Is the pain mainly happening while pressing on the olympic bench and bar, or does it hurt while pressing with dumbells as well?
The same crap happens to me every now and then, especially when I work out consistently at heavier weight 315+ on olympic bench/bar. When this starts to happen I'll focus more on lifting with dumbells and I'll cutback on the bar, but with no more than 275 and at low reps.

Sound ghey but I bought a GNC brand of supplement with MSM and Chondrite and something else and it worked wonders after about a couple weeks of a similar shoulder problem. Not the expensive high potent forumla, not the fast acting crap, just the regular stuff. I tried ther sports designed one and fast acting and neither helped like the cheap stuff. It was in a blue and white bottle and called TriFlex. I had a similar problem with my shoulder and took this 3 times a day for a couple weeks and haven't looked back since.

To answer questions, it hurts on all pressing movements and no theres no bruising or discoloration.

Well i tried a little experiment tonight. I bought some Biofreeze to put on my deltoid to see if the pain went away and amazingly the pain in the delt was gone but went to my shoulder joint. I think it was there all along but was just referring to my deltoid. So i guess ill give the Triflex a shot and see what happens.

its almost definitely your RC, its not uncommon for these mm to refer down the delts and even into the arm.
It's ok to keep training , but avoid the stuff that flairs it up, like heavy pressing. Start doing the RC exercises mentioned above, but remember you are training stabiliser mm, not bulk movers, so the key here is high reps, not mass poundage

if it is RC, i would say rest is the most important thing. It is not worth RC surgery, trust me. Had it when I was 15, never pitched again. :(

Have you had an MRI? Sounds like you've a tear in the RC or strained it. It takes time for an RC to heal up. And like the graf said you don't want to have to go through an RC surgery......it'll take a full year, if you tore yours as bad as I did mine, to heal.

No mri yet, ive been putting off any further medical procedures till the beginning of next year when we switch back to better insurance. We switched from 100% to 80/20 this year to save a few bucks in premiums and of course everything happened that could...Daughter broker her hand, wife had all sorts of procedures this year like multiple EKG's, MRI, chest xrays, physical therapy, Heart monitor, etc.

I guess ill take the Triflex and do the RC exercises and take it easy with the heavy pressing. Its fucked up because there was no defining moment when the injury happened. It just gradually set in.

Its fucked up because there was no defining moment when the injury happened. It just gradually set in.

This is how RC injuries usually occur. More often than not they are overuse or repetitive strain type injuries.

There are heaps of guys on this board that have done similar injuries to their shoulder at some stage.

The good news is, if you take it a bit easy and are consistent with your RC rehab it shouldn't take to long to heal up.I wouldn't bother with an MRI at this stage anyway

Its not in the joint, its in right in the middle of the deltoid. My bench techniqe is very good, ive had it critiqued before to see if that was the issue.

It could be that you have tightness in the rotator cuff interval. This can happen to lifters who do a lot of pressing. The muscles of the chest and in particular the pec minor pull the shoulder forward. This can be eased by developing the muscles which keep the shoulder blade retracted.

I know you have had your technique evaluated and I accept what you say about it but you may need to concentrate on keeping your shoulder blades back when you are pressing.

A good sports physiotherapist will give you a better evaluation of your shoulder than most doctors. You might want to try that before going off and having the MRI etc.

Back