So how much do you spend a month on Groceries ?

Mrs P

Female Moderator
The US Department of Labor estimates that the average family of four spends $8,513 per year on groceries, or about $709 per month.

My family spends roughly around $1,150.00
a month, we're a family of 5. We buy bulk, Buy whole foods nothing pre-cooked, pre-packaged, we cook from scratch, and shop around for the best deals and I use coupons when ever possible..

So how much are you guys/gals spending these days on groceries ??

Last edited:
We are a family of 4 and we probably spend $1200 mo. Kinda funny we were eating with some friends last night and having this same discussion and talking about how ridiculous the cost of groceries has and is going up. $6 for a gallon of milk, $8 for a 32 carton eggs. When will it end

We are a family of 4 and we probably spend $1200 mo. Kinda funny we were eating with some friends last night and having this same discussion and talking about how ridiculous the cost of groceries has and is going up. $6 for a gallon of milk, $8 for a 32 carton eggs. When will it end

Where the hell do you live??!?!?!? Milk is maybe 2.80 here, eggs still 99 cent a carton...

On that note, your grocery bill is the same amount as I make a month from work so...guess its only fair. :shoot5:

we are a family of 5 and we spend about $800 a month. We buy what we can in bulk at BJ's but you can't get everything there. The gas prices are what is killing me.

I spend about 200 a month on just me. Jesus 1200 a month...lol I like to buy all my meat and eggs organic though.

I spend about 200 a month on just me. Jesus 1200 a month...lol I like to buy all my meat and eggs organic though.

Tell me about it, there's this show on TLC called 17 kids & counting.... That's a family of 19, I could just imagine how much they spend....OUCH !!!

hmm. i dont really pay attention. i just buy food when i need it which is always. id say wife and kid eat 2-400 bucks worth and i eat double that. so ya, round the average

shits way more expensive up here in Canada tho.

does this price inlcude burger king or just groceries?

wtf how are all of you eating so cheap??? I shop at sam's club, buy my steaks and salmon in bulk..I have a butcher that sells chicken cutlets for $2lb all year, and I still spend over $500/month on just myself in groceries alone, not to mention when I buy restaurant food. I also eat 4-5lbs of meat a day most days though.

The $1200 we spend a mo. does not really include a lot of meats due to that we eat venison 2-3 times a week so if we were to actually buy all grocer meats it would probably be more like $1500 mo

The $1200 we spend a mo. does not really include a lot of meats due to that we eat venison 2-3 times a week so if we were to actually buy all grocer meats it would probably be more like $1500 mo

Pinga has eaten venison, & loves it, I will like to try it someday.. Do you buy venison ? I would think is kindda of expensive, right ?

We buy our meat at wholesale clubs, if on sale we buy lots of it, & freeze it, We shop around for meat like if is Black Friday !! Pinga eats sooooo much that we're about to go bankrupt :eek:

Pinga has eaten venison, & loves it, I will like to try it someday.. Do you buy venison ? I would think is kindda of expensive, right ?

We buy our meat at wholesale clubs, if on sale we buy lots of it, & freeze it, We shop around for meat like if is Black Friday !! Pinga eats sooooo much that we're about to go bankrupt :eek:

lol im like pinga with eating meat, i want it for breakfast, brunch, lunch,dinner, snack and sometimes dessert. No i dont buy it i HUNT it , in fact i just shot a big buck yesterday. usually i harvest around 5-6 deer a season and ill take one or two deer and have a 80/20 mix of ground meat, 80% venision 20% ground chuck which gives me 100 lbs or so of ground meat for season. then ill take one deer and have sausage made then we just marinate and grill the backstraps which if done right is awesome BUT the key to venision is knowing how to prepare it lol which a lot of people screw up.

Just me and my GF, we spend about 600-700 per month at the grocery store. That's not just food though, we buy all our food at Trader Joes/Whole Foods, and all of our household products and essentials at Costco.

venison is great i dont buy it tho i shoot it.
but as for food i spend close to 500 a month for me alone.
i will buy this weekend
50lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast for 210.00 and that will do the a little more then a month.

$1590.93 just on me. During hunting season I spend like a third of that. Then again I buy sushi grade fish and USDA prime graded beef. I am sick of chicken.

Back