SP's on/off-season log

Weight 237

Quick arms day with my buddy as we both had some evening commitments afterwards

Sushi with a different friend, then mrs.SP, training partner and his GF and I all went to see Girl on the train

Good movie, I'd read the book a few years back and luckily it'd been long enough that I had forgotten a few of the plot twists...

Fri - biceps/triceps

supinated two-arm DB curl - five sets, pyramiding weight up

overhead one-arm DB extension - a few sets to warm up while doing the bicep curls

rope tricep pushdown - four sets of 12
+++
superset rope hammer curl - four sets of 12, only got 10 reps on the last set

HSPL preacher curl - three sets of 6-8 reps per arm, super heavy on these
+++
superset tricep extension machine - never used this guy before, basically did 12 full and 8-12 partials per set for three sets

CGBP - three sets, was fatigued by this point so it was just 6-8 reps x 275lbs
+++
superset crossbody DB hammer curl - three sets of 12 per arm

cardio - another nice day, fit in a quick 20 min walk mid-day at work

Weight 237

Relatively uneventful saturday, trained with my usual training partner

Mrs.SP and I went over to a sibling's house for dinner so we could study for the canfitpro exam

Afterwards I visited a buddy and stayed up wayyyyyy too late playing the original gears of war...

Sat - legs/calves

seated hamstring curl - two warmup and three working sets of 12/10/8 reps (pyramiding weight)
+++
superset adductor machine - four sets of 15 reps

highbar ATG squat - similar to tuesday, didn't spend much time pyramiding up but went heavy and felt good on these

prone hamstring curl - three sets of 12 reps, lighter weight than usual (not quite the full stack) with 3-4sec eccentrics

seated leg extension - three sets of 10 with a 3 sec flex/squeeze at the top of each rep
+++
superset sissy squat - ankle grabber as usual, bodyweight to failure after each set of leg extensions

standing calf raise - three sets of 15

Weight 238

Stayed up way too late playing gears again

Woke up and had breakfast with a friend, then went to work for a few hours (to make up for missing some during the week)

Got a quick upper body workout / circuit thing in, then headed home for a nap before helping friends' move their urban chicken coop

Inlaws for dinner, a few checkpoints worth of gears with my friend then early to bed

Sun - upper body pump/circuit

wide grip pullup - bodyweight, four sets of 10
+++
superset side lateral DB raise - one warmup and four working sets of 15 reps, increased weight on each set

rope tricep pushdown - two sets of 15 reps
+++
superset rope hammer curl - 15 reps right after each set of pushdowns

incline BB press - haven't done this with a barbell for awhile, did one set with two plates then played around with three plates a side for 7, 8 then 5 reps on my final set

abs - did four sets of 1 minute planks...I don't do these often because I'm not sure how effective they really are to be honest but I can say this was tricky, at least

cardio - helped friends move a huge chicken coop in the afternoon....I'm not sure what kind of exercise I would call this but it was a lot of heavy/sweaty/grunting

Weight 237

Early morning start at work, to try and get a good start on hours...

Ended up taking a longer-than-planned nap which kind of negated that, but oh well

Back workout with my usual training partner, followed by a bit of posing then home...

Watched the walking dead season premiere while meal prepping, only a day late!

Mon - back/calves

wide grip pullup - four sets of 10, just bodyweight but good form/ROM
+++
superset straight-arm rope pulldown - moderate weight just to help get the lats warmed up and activated, 15-20 reps after each set of pullups

one-arm BB row - did these standard (facing parallel to the bar) rather than the perpendicular (meadows-) style...four sets, pyramiding weight up on each one and dropping a few reps (12/10/8/6)

seated row - used a wide, neutral-grip attachment, really hit the lats hard that way...four sets of 12 again, adding a bit more weight on each subsequent one

chest-supported t-bar row - wide grip here, heavier weight for three sets of 8 reps

plate-loaded shrug machine - I've seen but never used one of these before, it worked pretty well...did four sets of 15 reps with a three second flex/hold at the top of every rep
+++
rope face-pull - three (or four?) sets of 10-12

seated 'donkey' calf/toe-press machine - five sets of 15-20 reps each, heavy (full stack)

cardio - nothing fancy and the weather was shitty but put on a coat and went for a 25-30min walk in the afternoon

Weight 237

Woke up with the start of what I hope is just a bad cold, it got progressively shittier during the day but I still managed to make it to the gym to spread the infection

Early to bed, tough getting used to the CPAP mask but I'm working on it...

Tue - legs/calves (ham focus)

adductor/abductor machine - three sets to warmup as usual, progressively heavier on each one...higher reps (20+)
+++
superset standing hamstring curl - three sets with moderate weight, 10-12 reps each

one-legged leg press - used the cybex here, kind of sat on an angle with the working leg pointed in...one or two warmup and four heavy working sets

standing hamstring curl - went back to this machine and went heavy this time...three working sets, up to the full stack for 8 really tough reps on the third
+++
superset quad extension - immediately after each set of leg curls, fairly heavy on these too, also did the full stack for 8 on the final set

calf machine "nordics" or "mountain climbers" - four sets of 10 reps here, doing them near the end of the workout seems to be ideal so hamstrings are warm and pre-fatigued
+++
superset standing calf raise - four sets of 15 with a 1-2sec pause/hold at the top of each rep

HSPL V-squat - my buddy had to leave but another friend was just getting started so I hopped in with him here, did these facing the pad...three heavy work sets just for a bit more 'pressing'

cardio - definitely not a nice day to be outside, cold fog..like being inside a cloud - anyways, nothing to mention here

eJN3xdRl.jpg

Weight 237

Busy day, trying to fit in some last minute studying for the canfitpro along with meetings at work, gym and home commitments

Wed - triceps/biceps/abs/calves

rope tricep pushdown - about six sets, pyramiding weight up...flex/hold at the bottom for about 2 seconds until the last two (heaviest) sets...12-20 rep range

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15
+++
superset rope crunch - 15 reps after each set of leg raises

CGBP - went fairly heavy on this since I wasn't doing a tonne of volume...topped out at 6 reps x 315lbs for my fourth set

standing supinated DB curl - both arms at the same time, did four sets pyramiding weight up for 15/12/10/8 reps per set, respectively
+++
seated calf raise - four sets of 15, heavy

HSPL preacher curl - did these one arm at a time, 12/10/8 reps per set increasing weight slightly (10lbs per set)
+++
tricep extension machine - second time using this guy so I was a little more comfortable, did the full stack of weight for 8 reps x 3 sets

cardio - gloomy again but went for a 25-30min walk in the afternoon anyways

Weight 236

Long day with an annoying meeting that was scheduled from 11-12 but ran 11-1pm so I was fucking starving and HANGRY by 12:05...

Met my usual training partner at powerhouse after work for chest, he was a bit late so I started with delts

Thu - chest/delts

rear delt/reverse pec dec - five sets, pyramiding weight up...approx 20/20/15/10/8 reps per set

side lateral DB raise - four sets, also pyramiding weight up but with 15/12/10/8 reps per set, respectively

HSPL incline chest press - four sets, added a plate per side each time and got 7 reps on the last set w/four plates per side

HSPL decline chest press - my buddy showed up at this point so we did another HS machine, four sets here starting with two plates up to five per side

flat DB press - three sets of 8, only got 6 reps on the third set with 140lbs DBs though

incline DB flye - three sets, did 10 reps, then went heavier on the second for 8 reps and lighter on the third for 12 or 14 reps

pec dec - two sets of 20 with a 2-3 sec flex/squeeze on each rep
+++
superset wide pushup - bodyweight to failure immediately following the pec dec

cardio - nothing of note

Weight 237

Friday was a busy day at work which ate into my gym time, since I had a few commitments in the evening

Ended getting everything done though, just a hectic day/evening of running around

Fri - back

wide grip pullup - four bodyweight sets of 10 reps, as slow ROM as possible
+++
superset straight-arm rope pulldown - immediately after the pullups, I find this helps get even more blood and focus in the lats

barbell row - I did three sets with inverted/supinated grip, two plates then switched to double overhand for three heavier sets, all 8-10 reps

one-arm DB row - three sets here with higher reps, kept them in the 15-20 rep range

narrow/neutral-grip pulldown - three sets here with heavy weight, 6-8 rep range
+++
superset barbell shrug - the gym was dead and I'd lazily left my plates on the barbell I'd been rowing so I picked it up and used it for three sets of 12 reps

And that was it...took a little under an hour, I got fairly sweaty so I showered then hit the road

cardio - nothing specific but as mentioned it was a hectic day and there literally was some "running" around, as well as walking to/from the distantly parked car etc

Weight 234

I stayed up all night studying and wrote the canfitbro exam Saturday morning

Honestly the test was alright, the subject matter is easy but having not taken the class I'm just not sure I knew enough of the CFP-specific terminology

FITT(?) principle, SMART goals (though I've heard of those before), etc...

Took a nap then trained legs with my training partner in the afternoon

Sat - legs

warmup - adductor and abductor machine, three sets of 20-25 reps each going progressively heavier
+++
superset standing one-leg curl - three sets of 12, increasing weight here as well

banded hack squat - we used lighter (medium instead of heavy) bands this time and they seem much more appropriate for this machine...did about 4 hard working sets and finished with a triple dropset

banded one-leg press - heavy bands on this one, kept reps at 12 and added a plate per side each subsequent set until I got up to five plates per side plus the heavy bands, used everything I had to get 12 reps

BB SLDL - three sets of 12, moderate weight and really slow emphasizing hamstring engagement & TUT

seated leg extension - three sets, pyramiding weight up (finished with the whole stack x 8 reps)
+++
standing one-leg curl - back to this machine again, also did three sets and increased weight until I had the full stack for 8 reps on the final set

Weight 236

Mrs.SP and I met up with my sister for a moderate arms session, then my sister and I chatted while the wife killed the stair mill for a bit

Long nap in the afternoon, a potluck halloween thing in the evening and watched an older movie (max payne) at my friend's place

Sun - arms/abs

rope tricep pushdown - four or five sets, pyramiding weight up...12 reps per set
+++
cable EZ-bar curl - using the cambered bar did the same number of sets/reps and similar weight scheme to the rope pushdowns

unsupported hanging leg raise - three sets of 15 reps
+++

CGBP - four sets, started with higher reps then increased the weight at the expense of reps...my top set was only 8x275lbs but still felt decent
+++
superset hammer DB curl - did these alternating arms on each rep, slightly increased the weight and tried to maintain 12 reps per set

EZ-bar skull crusher - on a flat bench, did three sets of 12 reps...nothing fancy here
+++
superset DB concentration curl - one arm at a time, progressively heavier DBs on each set for three sets of 8-10 reps each

cardio - I supervised Mrs.SP doing about 20 hard minutes on the stairmill...

qle7SLgl.jpg

Weight 236

Happy halloween! Back to work, surprisingly not a lot of junk food so I was feeling alright in the evening when we went to some friends' party

Watched the conjuring, and part of a nightmare on elm street (not sure which #) while bullshitting then headed home to drop off mrs.SP

Went to powerhouse for a chest workout, did a bit of delts too then home to bed a little on the late side

Mon - chest/delts

rear delt/reverse pec dec - four sets of 15, adding weight on each set

side lateral DB raise - three sets of 15, increasing weight on each set while keeping form decent
+++
superset front DB raise - 15 reps after each set of side laterals...after the first set I had to use lighter DBs for the front laterals to get all 15 reps

incline DB press - one warmup and three working sets of 12/10/8 reps, also pyramiding weigh up

flat BB press - three sets, 8 reps each adding a plate per side on each set

pec dec - three sets of 10 with a hard 1-2sec squeeze at full contraction on every rep
+++
superset wide pushup - bodyweight to near-failure after each set on the pec dec

cardio - it was pretty decent out, a little cold but far less wind than usual so we went for a 30min walk after lunch

Last edited:
Weight 233

Felt extremely tired/exhausted all day despite getting a pretty respectable amount of sleep the night before, obviously from the cold/whatever I'm afflicted with

Went to get antibiotics and cough syrup as well as exchange my CPAP mask for another that will hopefully fit a little better

I also shaved to help with the mask seal, which worked well but I can't stand being clean-shaven now, looking like a child...

Tue - legs/calves

warmup - adductor and abductor machine, three sets of 20-25 reps increasing weight on each set
+++
superset standing one-leg hamstring curl - three sets of 12 here, increasing weight each set as well

highbar ATG squat - as much as I love squatting I just don't get the same pump or DOMS from it vs the banded hacks or pressing we've been doing
10xbar
10x135
10x225
10x315
7+1x405...this was a little frustrating, I didn't set up quite right and was hoping this would be my 10 rep achievement but instead struggled for 8

kneeling hamstring curl - four sets of 10, heavy (full stack)

prone one-leg hamstring curl - did all reps on one leg then the other, three sets with the same weight but increasing reps..8/10/12 per leg/per set, respectively

seated leg extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze at the top of each, full stack of course
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight to failure after each set of leg extensions, which was around 8 reps each time

seated 'donkey'-style toe press - three sets of 15 with all of the weight

cardio - nothing specific, it was probably the crappiest day of the year yet so the coffee run was actually a coffee "drive" unfortunately

Weight 233

Felt extremely tired/exhausted all day despite getting a pretty respectable amount of sleep the night before, obviously from the cold/whatever I'm afflicted with

Went to get antibiotics and cough syrup as well as exchange my CPAP mask for another that will hopefully fit a little better

I also shaved to help with the mask seal, which worked well but I can't stand being clean-shaven now, looking like a child...

Tue - legs/calves

warmup - adductor and abductor machine, three sets of 20-25 reps increasing weight on each set
+++
superset standing one-leg hamstring curl - three sets of 12 here, increasing weight each set as well

highbar ATG squat - as much as I love squatting I just don't get the same pump or DOMS from it vs the banded hacks or pressing we've been doing
10xbar
10x135
10x225
10x315
7+1x405...this was a little frustrating, I didn't set up quite right and was hoping this would be my 10 rep achievement but instead struggled for 8

kneeling hamstring curl - four sets of 10, heavy (full stack)

prone one-leg hamstring curl - did all reps on one leg then the other, three sets with the same weight but increasing reps..8/10/12 per leg/per set, respectively

seated leg extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze at the top of each, full stack of course
+++
superset sissy squat - bodyweight to failure after each set of leg extensions, which was around 8 reps each time

seated 'donkey'-style toe press - three sets of 15 with all of the weight

cardio - nothing specific, it was probably the crappiest day of the year yet so the coffee run was actually a coffee "drive" unfortunately

Not sure how you did 'seated' donkey calf raises. We used to do donkeys with a person sitting on our backs straight legged, bent over over at the waist like stiff legged deadlift.
Apparently one of Arnold's favorites...

Weight ?

The scale at most goodlife's is pretty hard to read and it jumps around so much that I don't trust it...

I'll estimate 235 as it was anywhere from 230-240 depending on how I leaned or where I stood on the little platform

Wed - triceps/biceps/abs

rope tricep pushdown - two higher rep warmup/feeder sets then three heavy sets of 12, using rest/pause and a bit of loose form to get all reps on the last sets
+++
superset HS ab machine - I don't use machines a lot for abs but this was right beside the cable I was using for rope pushdowns so I did four sets with increasing weight/decreasing reps

cable EZ-bar curl - five sets of 12, with 3sec eccentrics...adding weight on each subsequent set

PJR pullover - three sets of 15, then pushed all the way to 20 reps on the fourth and final set

cross-body hammer DB curl - four sets of 12, increasing weight slightly (5lbs) on each set

overhead rope tricep extension - three sets of 12-15 reps, each one to failure
+++
superset rope crunch - three sets of 20 with extra weight pinned onto the stack

cardio - none

Weight ?

The scale at most goodlife's is pretty hard to read and it jumps around so much that I don't trust it...

I'll estimate 235 as it was anywhere from 230-240 depending on how I leaned or where I stood on the little platform

Wed - triceps/biceps/abs

rope tricep pushdown - two higher rep warmup/feeder sets then three heavy sets of 12, using rest/pause and a bit of loose form to get all reps on the last sets
+++
superset HS ab machine - I don't use machines a lot for abs but this was right beside the cable I was using for rope pushdowns so I did four sets with increasing weight/decreasing reps

cable EZ-bar curl - five sets of 12, with 3sec eccentrics...adding weight on each subsequent set

PJR pullover - three sets of 15, then pushed all the way to 20 reps on the fourth and final set

cross-body hammer DB curl - four sets of 12, increasing weight slightly (5lbs) on each set

overhead rope tricep extension - three sets of 12-15 reps, each one to failure
+++
superset rope crunch - three sets of 20 with extra weight pinned onto the stack

cardio - none
looking great, thanks for sharing.

Weight 233

Decent day at work for once, and the weather is getting really nice for a few days so that's always uplifting

Home after work for preWO meal and a visit with mrs.SP before meeting my training partner at powerhouse

Home again to prep some meals since I miscalculated and ran out, made a bunch for mrs.SP at the same time and finished season 2 of mr. Robot

Thu - back

neutral/wide grip lat pulldown - pyramiding weight up doing sets of 12, about four or five sets total

one-arm DB row - one feeler set then three working sets of 12/10/8 reps with progressively heavier DBs

seated rope facepull - four sets of 8-10 reps
+++
superset straight arm pulldown - 8 reps immediately after each set of facepulls

DB shrug - four sets of 15 with a 3 sec hold/squeeze at the top of every rep

chest-supported T-bar row - one feeler set then three working sets of 12 using a supinated/yates-style grip, careful not to fully extend the elbow which risks the biceps tendons

wide-grip behind-the-neck lat pulldown - back to the first exercise except with a regular pulldown bar, did three sets of 12 to finish off

cardio - 25min walk outside, weather was really nice

sDCnlU9l.jpg

Weight 237

Fri - delts/biceps/abs/calves

unsupported hanging leg raise - four sets of 15
+++

standing calf raise - four sets of 15 with a hard flex/squeeze at the top of every rep

rear delt/reverse pec dec - five sets of 12, adding weight on each set

side lateral DB raise - one feeler then three working sets, 12/10/8 reps with increasing weight then a triple dropset on the final/third working set

incline supinated front EZ-bar raise - four sets of 12, first time doing these but holy shit do they ever demolish the anterior delts

front DB raise - two sets of 10, both DBs at the same time

cybex shoulder press machine - four sets, adding a plate per side each time....went all the way to 8reps x 4 plates per side, doesn't mean much in the abstract but it felt good

EZ-bar 21s - two sets with moderately weighted bars

spider curl - four sets of 12 with cambered bar loaded up

cross-body DB curl - 3 sets of 12 reps per arm, alternating arms after each rep

I am really a fan of your workout regime. I love the high volume training. I see that your weight are fluctuating, would you say that is because of your daily carbs intake? Thanks for sharing brother!

I am really a fan of your workout regime. I love the high volume training. I see that your weight are fluctuating, would you say that is because of your daily carbs intake? Thanks for sharing brother!

Glad you like it :D The weight fluctuation probably is from a combination of factors
-stress
-less regimented meal plan than typical (for me at least)
-changes to gear/supplement regime

Weight 235

Late night on Friday but I got up relatively early with good intentions of accomplishing some cool shit

Sat - chest/biceps

warmup - rope pushdown, about 3-4 sets of moderate weight to get some blood into the elbows

HSPL decline chest press - two feeder sets then three working sets of 4 plates per side x 10-12 reps
+++
superset seated calf raise - three sets of 15 reps

flat DB press - went fairly heavy on these, one warmup and three working sets of about 12/10 then finally 7+1 spotted rep on the final set (w/ 150lbs)

flat flye/press - four sets of 8-10 reps with increasingly heavy DBs as well

EZ-bar 21s - two sets of these with moderate weight, I didn't have my wrist wraps though so they were bothering my forearms

EZ-bar spider curl - four sets of 12

cross-body DB curl - three sets of 12 per arm, alternating arms on each rep

cardio - the weather was beautiful so I pulled my bike apart, boosted it, put it back together and got about half a click from the house before it died...something to do with the charging system this time, I fear. So...while I didn't set out to do cardio, pushing a 400lbs sportbike half a kilometre in full leathers basically ended up being my cardio for the day

Weight 232

I took a few days off for health+personal reasons so when I came back I decided to start things with a light-ish leg workout

Wed - light legs/calves

warmup - spin bike

adductor + abductor machine - used the combo unit, three sets of each with moderately high reps to get warmed up more than anything

standing one-leg curl - three sets here too, about 12 reps per leg

highbar ATG squat - this was disappointing, I hadn't eaten enough over the last few days as evidenced by my weight but my performance was super shitty

8 x bar
8 x 135
8 x 225
8 x 315 (could tell things weren't going well because this started to feel heavy)
8 x 365 (baby steps...I normally skip the half plates)
4 x 405 (I MIGHT have had five or six reps with a spotter but they wouldn't have been pretty)

cybex hack squat - three sets of 8-10 reps, wide/high stance for more of a posterior focus

prone hamstring curl - two legged version, four sets of 10 with the full stack

seated quad extension - three sets of 10 with a hard flex/squeeze at the top of each rep
+++
superset sissy squat - only did two sets here (after the first and second set of leg extensions) with bodyweight to failure...was dying after that

standing calf raise - four sets of 15, full stack with extra weight pinned on

Back