squatting increase arm strenghth/mass?

gallmond1977

Someone please tell me how Squats are supposed to make your arms bigger (bis, tris, forearms?) I have heard many say this but, I don't understand how.

Squats do help your upper body grow in several ways, indirectly:

From my understanding:

A) Release more endogenous GH/Test...
B) Increase blood/oxygen flow to the rest of your body...

Last edited:
Blown_SC said:
Squats do help your upper body grow in several ways, indirectly:

From my understanding:

A) Release more endogenous GH/Test...
B) Increase blood/oxygen flow to the rest of your body...
Exactly. Deads help w/that too. Pretty much any major compound movement will help you add overall mass due to the increase in GH/Test and blood/o2
I used to think it was all upper body. After I started squatting and doing dls I blew up. Its where its at. :D

my delts have gotten a lot bigger and ive stopped doing overhead pressing for the last 8 months.. i think the reason is:
heavier benching
squatting/GM's :supporting that much weight on your back
dont look at squats as just a quad exercise

Your body seeks equilibrium and by increasing leg strength and size your upper body and arms will get the hormonal signal to grow.

Last edited:
So do squats and deadlifts help you with overall mass even if you are natural? I always had this same question... I started squating and deadlinfting heavy a month ago and I feel the difference in strengh and mass but I can't see it yet in my weight... Should I raise my kcals now?
I'm in about 2600 kcal
5'8, 158 lbs 11-12 %bf

luquillo78 said:
So do squats and deadlifts help you with overall mass even if you are natural? I always had this same question... I started squating and deadlinfting heavy a month ago and I feel the difference in strengh and mass but I can't see it yet in my weight... Should I raise my kcals now?
I'm in about 2600 kcal
5'8, 158 lbs 11-12 %bf

They sure do, they should be the cornerstone of your bulking program. If your strength is going up you should up the calories and you should start putting on some size. Form is more important than anything, do not sacrifice good form for heavier poundages.

Regardless of if squats help the upper body or not, they certainly grow your lower body. Having a big upper half sitting ontop of chicken legs just doesn't make sense in my book.

Blown_SC said:
Deadlifts have given me more strength than anything bar none, I love them.......
Amen bro. I LOVE deadlifts. And yes, even all natural people can make some huge gains in strenght and size once they add dl's and squats to a program. Don't forget a hell of alot of quality calories too. :D

doing any heavy core motions will make your whole body grow.... the bigger you get, your arms will have more potential for growing bigger too...

look at PLs... they get absolutely massive from doing power exercises... but they dont usually develop the look that bodybuilders do...

do arm exercises, they will make your arms bigger

bronx_brawla said:
how true is this?....i wanna see this with my own eyes. :wallbash:

Its totally true, you're body will adjust itself overall in all areas, and by adding these simple big compound movements it causes your other body parts to tag along so to speak (taken into consideration genetics of course).

Now, i don't have great arm genetics, but they have grown in size right along with everything else, only since I started doing deads and heavy squats last year.

But who gives a shit about arms, look at what it can do to a back....

damn squatting makes you grow tattoos too. what an exercise!!!!!!!!!!

huge diff in just a few months there lover boy.

musta had some lung/heart problems when you where younger.nice scar i dont think they do it like taht any more you date yourself with that one!

If you want big arms, SQUAT! Big Chest? SQUAT, Shoulders?, Lats? SQUAT! Few trainees ever see BIG arm size increases without getting the body to grow as a unit, and that is done by heavy squats and deads. If you are a clean trainee especially, trying to get big arms while neglecting squats and deads is fools work.

Iron Addict

Back