Staright V.s. E-Z Bar for Mass?

This was actually covered in this months Muscle and Fitness. It said the results were slightly (very slight) that the straight bar was more optimal. The only advantage to the EZ bar, was less strain on the wrists. I would go get it and look up the percentage of the advantage of the straight bar, but I'm too lazy.

can i use the ez curl for things like bent rows and then what about taking it a step further and using it for deads.

bronx_brawla said:
I dont read flex and muscle and fitness. They're garbage.

Anyway...no problem...thanks anyway. :yesway:

TO BUILD MASS YOU NEED TO GO HEAVY. SIMPLE.

WRIST POSITION DOES DETERMINE HOW THE MUSCLE IS BEING USED. I BELIEVE STRAIGHT BAR UTILIZES BOTH HEADS OF THE MUSCLE, INNER AND OUTER, WHERE EX CURLE, WITH THE WRIST IN A DIFFERENT POSITION WORKS THE INNER HEAD MORE. SO, I WOULD THINK THAT A STRAIGHT BAR WOULD WORH BOTH BETTER. ALTHOUGH IT DOES MESS WITH THE WRISTS.
TO CHECK THIS OUT, HOLD A DUMBELL IN YOU HAND, EVEN A 10 POUNDER, IN THE MID POSITION OF YOUR ARM CURL, SLOWLY TWIST YOU WRIST FROM HORIZONTAL TO VERTICAL AND FEEL YOUR BICEP WITH YOU FREE HAND AS YOU DO THIS. YOU WILL FEEL THE PRESSEURE ON THE MUSCLE CHANGE AS YOU TURN YOU WRIST IN TOWARDS YOUR BODY....

YOU NHEED TO HIT BOTH HEADS OF THE MUCLE TO STIMULATE GROWTH AND MASS. SO, THE STRAIGHT BAR WOULD IN MY OPINION BE BETTER SUITED THEN THE EZ BAR FOR STANDING BAR CURLS...

JUST MY .02

E

Eat it or Beat it!!! said:
just lift the weight dude and not worry about little things that make no difference

KNOWLEDGE TO USE THE RIGHT WEIGHT TRAINING EQUIPMENT CORRECTLY, AND WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO DO, AS WELL AS THE THE KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO MAKE YOU MUSCLES GROW...DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE...

E

bronx_brawla said:
Which brings me to my question...

Is it possible that the E-Z bars are geared more towards defining the muscle?..rather than adding mass to it? (Now remember, this is geared towards bicep workouts not triceps...reason being that you can add mass to the triceps with the E-Z bar...e.g. close grip bench)

Nothing defines a muscle except rock hard low body fat in conjunction with huge mass, period!

One reason why straight bar curls generally work better is the increase in supination in the wrist putting the biceps in a more advantageous position for more neural muscle stimulation (research: Rate Coding). But in basic terms, more direct weight stimulation to the belly of the muscle, and better bio mechanical position.

By the way, try doing straight barbell curls with you back up against a wall so the shoulder blades don't move. Most have never tried this, but it makes the exercise a lot harder on the biceps.

Last edited:
bronx_brawla said:
For years I've used the E-Z bar for bicep and tricep work. But my question is geared more towards bicep work. Over the years i've heard from many people that straight bar for biceps works the best for adding overall mass. So i would use the straight bar for a awhile, and i must say it was then that my biceps started to benefit the most from it. But it puts hell on the wrists. So i switched back to the E-Z Bar. And for some reason i wasn't feeling the intensity i was feeling when i was using the straight bar. And...my arms we'rnt gaining mass...but just taking more shape.
Which brings me to my question...

Is it possible that the E-Z bars are geared more towards defining the muscle?..rather than adding mass to it? (Now remember, this is geared towards bicep workouts not triceps...reason being that you can add mass to the triceps with the E-Z bar...e.g. close grip bench)

I will guess that the reason your arms started responding to straight bar is because you had never really done them before. You changed a little so your body starts responding instead of being used to the same old thing.
Like some people have said, switch up every once in a while. I do both.
If your wrist hurt try a close grip.

Hacksquater said:
Nothing defines a muscle except rock hard low body fat in conjunction with huge mass, period!

One reason why straight bar curls generally work better is the increase in supination in the wrist putting the biceps in a more advantageous position for more neural muscle stimulation (research: Rate Coding). But in basic terms, more direct weight stimulation to the belly of the muscle, and better bio mechanical position.

By the way, try doing straight barbell curls with you back up against a wall so the shoulder blades don't move. Most have never tried this, but it makes the exercise a lot harder on the biceps.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE SCRATCHING THEIR HEAD ON SUPINATION:

.....The term supination describes the rotation of the wrist and forearm such that the palm of the hand is facing upward (toward the ceiling)......

.....The major muscle that causes supination, surprisingly, is the biceps. Therefore, weakness of the biceps will result in supination weakness......

SUPINATION

by Dr. Rahul Nath

E

Deep South Chris said:
i feel straight bar is slightly better too, but it destroys my wrists...
same here I quit doing it 3 months ago I use EZ curl bar now I can actually feel my biceps work now vs my messed up wrists feeling the pain.

Back