Steel Cut Oats

Welter

Probably shouldnt be in the recipe section but wasnt sure where else to put it.

How do you guys make your steel cut oats?

Ive tried every way under the sun and they still come out crunchy when i make them.

Ive tried soaking overnight.

Boiling water throw the steel cut in then waiting overnight.

Ive tried slow cooking them for an hour over low heat.

Ive tried the crockpot overnight.......

Ive tried it all but mine still come out crunchy. I go to my local diner and they are steel cut oats and as soft and smooth as can be. WTF am i doing wrong? Ive been eating them crunchy for over a year now LOL.

quaker recommends you boil them for 30 min. boil for 30 min is a lot more intense than slow cooking for 1 hour.

i just buy mine at the grocery store and pour a cup in my protein shake every morning and drink and chew,they are a bitch,but i hate to boil them etc,to much trouble for me anyway

Is there a benefit to steel cut oats over regular Quaker oats that I'm eating every morning ?

supposed to be "more pure" i believe. less processing. IMO bulk rolled oats are just as good for 99% if not all people.

just don't use the individually packaged, highly processed and sugared instant oats.

They take the bran out of quick outs and also makes the carbs breakdown quicker.
3J has a better explanation.

I use the whole grain rolled oats... Seem to work just fine. Especially since all I do is throw in some boiling water, brown sugar and cinnamon.

i cook them, they are a little tircky at times and mine are occasionally slightly hard/under cooked

but they usually come out fine, had them this morning with maple syrup flavored agave, cinnamon, & sliced apple

i have used various methods including bring them to rapid boil then lowering flame to slow boil and cooking for 20-30 min

and i have also thrown them in boiling water, covered, and turned off flame and eat later and they are fine too

have you ever soaked them in water before adding them in? I do this. I soak them in water with a little olive oil, softens them up i think

Probably shouldnt be in the recipe section but wasnt sure where else to put it.

How do you guys make your steel cut oats?

Ive tried every way under the sun and they still come out crunchy when i make them.

Ive tried soaking overnight.

Boiling water throw the steel cut in then waiting overnight.

Ive tried slow cooking them for an hour over low heat.

Ive tried the crockpot overnight.......

Ive tried it all but mine still come out crunchy. I go to my local diner and they are steel cut oats and as soft and smooth as can be. WTF am i doing wrong? Ive been eating them crunchy for over a year now LOL.

Back