Stericup Filter fiasco

ld50

"IDA"
So I was planning on this easy 200ml filter with the stericup, and damned if the plastic didn't crack on me. I put the pressure at 25Hg, (they recommend no more than 27Hg). Stayed with it for a few minutes, and decided I was good to go. Came back to check ten minutes later, and the fucker was cracked, and leaking air through the bottom. I figure, no big deal, I'll duct tape it and finish. Damned if I didn't use it all up this weekend. Now I have to run to the store.

This went from slick and convenient to ghetto pain in the ass fast.

Frances. No home damage, but a lot of cleaning up. Clean up evolved into a spring cleaning thing.

Let it be noted that the duct tape did not seal the cracks, even w/ 3 layers. Had to toss it and use another cup.

gymphreak said:
why not see if u can get a refund since the stericup could have been faulty??

I thought about it, but there is no way to prove that i wasn't an idiot and fucked it up. People could call in and say they cracked all the time just to get freebies, or crack them after using them. I'll let this one ride, if it happens agian, I may say something.

Well, damned if the second stericup didn't crack as well. only took it up to 20Hg. Looks like i'll have to get some glass media bottles w/ 45mm threads.

ld50 said:
Well, damned if the second stericup didn't crack as well. only took it up to 20Hg. Looks like i'll have to get some glass media bottles w/ 45mm threads.

Are you filtering something that has a lot of particulate in it??

I was thinking that if the filter media clogged, the vacuum could then possibly cause the bottle to crack. Also, are you sure that your vacuum gauge is accurate?

Also, how long is it taking for your 200ml's to run through the filter? You said you left it for 10 minutes.......it generally only takes 1.5-2 minutes for 200ml's to run through a stericup at 20hg.

Mr.T said:
Are you filtering something that has a lot of particulate in it??

I was thinking that if the filter media clogged, the vacuum could then possibly cause the bottle to crack. Also, are you sure that your vacuum gauge is accurate?

Also, how long is it taking for your 200ml's to run through the filter? You said you left it for 10 minutes.......it generally only takes 1.5-2 minutes for 200ml's to run through a stericup at 20hg.

Well, I never got more than 125ml filtered. I was filtering 200ml of 500mg/ml Test enanthate.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, was I supposed to do anything to the filter prior to using?

As for the vacuum gauge, it was brand new, but can't say that it wasn't deffective. regardless, it wasn't filtering much before it cracked the bottles.

i think that's your problem bro, i read that 500mg/ml is to dense to filter that way. could have cloggeed and busted the stericup.

that makes no sense. its either in solution or it aint. now if it was pellets i could see it clogging the filter.

ida i dont understand the flasks breaking. you think they could do better than that. but hey if you get glass wear its very easy to sterilze.

Badruz said:
i think that's your problem bro, i read that 500mg/ml is to dense to filter that way. could have cloggeed and busted the stericup.
That is what I thought initially, but vacuum is vacuum. regardless of whether or not solution is flowing, the pressure has to stay up in order to continue drawing fluids through the filter.

pullinbig said:
that makes no sense. its either in solution or it aint. now if it was pellets i could see it clogging the filter.

ida i dont understand the flasks breaking. you think they could do better than that. but hey if you get glass wear its very easy to sterilze.

I haven't even had a chance to look yet, but your right, it would save having to transfer to glass for baking, then just screw a top on.

Back