Stuck, workout needs changin

Rules

Strong as Lead
I've been back lifting for about 6mo. Previously I lifted for about 2 years straight (went from 115lbs to 145), then do to circumstances I had about 6 mo where I didn’t lift. So up till the last month my strength gains have been good (135 1RM on bench to 205 1RM)… but lately its like I have hit a wall. This has happened before to me but I had a lifting partner then who got me through. So I am posting my workout in hopes you guys have some suggestions, I am guessing I’ll get a lot of ‘your over training comments’. Please keep in mind I am a Super Hyper little guy. I don’t respond well to not going to the gym every day (I can’t sleep yada yada).

(1) Chest

Flat Bench 5x10,8,6,4,2
Incline Bench 5x10,8,6,4,2
Cable Crossovers
Close Grip Bench

(2) Back

Pull-ups 50 in as few sets
Bent over Narrow Grip Rows 5x10,8,6,4,2
Bent over Wide Grip Rows 5x10,8,6,4,2
Narrow Grip Pulldown
Deads 3x10,6,3

(3) Shoulders

Barbell Military Press 5x10,8,6,4,2
Dumbbell Press
Laterals
Upright Row 5x10,8,6,4,2
Heavy Upright Row 3x10,6,3

(4) OFF

(5) Bi

Straight Arm Curl 5x10,8,6,4,2
Dumbbell Curl 5x10,8,6,4,2
Preacher 5x10,8,6,4,2

(5) Tri

Reverse Grip Bench 5x10,8,6,4,2
Skull Crushers 5x10,8,6,4,2
Close Grip Bench 3x10,6,3

(6) Leg

Squat 5x10,8,6,4,2
Lunge 5x10,8,6,4,2
Leg Extensions
Calf Raises 5x15

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
Box squats 2 x 4
Leg presses 2 x 5 (pick two of these pressing movements)
Calves (your choice of exercise) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6
Decline medium grip bench 2 x 6
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Upright rows or side laterals 2 x 10

Thursday:
Dead lifts 2 x 5 (or a variation of)
Bent over rows 2 x 4
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 6
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8

So Wed, Fri-Sun is off... I'll give it a shot. If I feel I am recovering well can I up the frequency, or should I just relax and do as you say :) ?

I guess if you're feeling you're recouperating well, then you could only take two days or so off instead of fri-sun. Just IMO, really. See what works best for you.

if you recouping from this then you aint lifting heavy enough. let me post the whole exerpt.

I have several people a day asking me for a routine. So......

Here’s a generic one that is a good starting point. This is a mass building routine. Probably less volume than you are used too but very effective. 3 days per week because that’s all most folks can handle if they are training heavy. They key is forced/assisted reps. Painful but very effective if you really want to put on size. This does no include warm ups so that is up to you to make sure you are stretched and plenty warm before performing work sets. A work set is defined as a set that you just barely get all reps or need assistance on one or two reps. If you get all the reps fairly easily then it is a warm up and not a work set. Add abs and cardio on the days off to fit your needs. Limit cardio to 3 times week for 30 – 45 minutes low impact as intense cardio burns muscle.

Monday:
Squats 2 x 5
Box squats 2 x 4
Leg presses 2 x 5 (pick two of these pressing movements)
Calves (your choice of exercise) 2 x 10

Tuesday:
Wide grip flat bench 2 x 6
Decline medium grip bench 2 x 6
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Upright rows or side laterals 2 x 10

Thursday:
Dead lifts 2 x 5 (or a variation of)
Bent over rows 2 x 4
Reverse grip narrow grip pull downs 2 x 6
Standing wide grip curls 2 x 8

Every one of these movements is a mass building exercise. These are the essential movements for putting on size. Rest and nutrition are just as important as lifting, neglect any one of the three and you will not grow. Juice or no juice all will grow with this routine or a similar one. Consistency is the key. Adding 5 lbs to the bar every other week equals 130lbs/year. Not bad considering many are moving the same weight year in year out. Strength gains are the key to growth, not other way around.

I hope this helpful to all who read it. I have designed many programs for a variety of athletes with varying needs. If you have special needs such as martial arts, football or gymnastics (to name a few) the program can be altered to accommodate these needs.

Rules, I can vouch for this now, as I have been doing PBs routine for only 5 weeks. My progress has been as follows:

Squats

Start - 365 x 6
This week - 405 x 6 (Easy)

Bench (Smith)

Start - 365 x 6
Last night - 405 x 6 (1 assist)

Deads

Start - 385 x 6
Last week - 425 x 5

That's 120lbs of increase in 5 weeks bro. Of course, I am 'ON' right now, but even so, these are great numbers IMO.

Try it out, and get your rest, thats' what I love about this workout. Because if you train like you're supposed to, you will need every bit of it!!

RJH

Thanks for the advice

OK PullinBig I'm going to give it a shot. I started a log in the Journal section... I appreciate all the help, on my way to my goals of benching 225, squating 315.

RJH8541 said:
Rules, I can vouch for this now, as I have been doing PBs routine for only 5 weeks. My progress has been as follows:

Squats

Start - 365 x 6
This week - 405 x 6 (Easy)

Bench (Smith)

Start - 365 x 6
Last night - 405 x 6 (1 assist)

Deads

Start - 385 x 6
Last week - 425 x 5

That's 120lbs of increase in 5 weeks bro. Of course, I am 'ON' right now, but even so, these are great numbers IMO.

Try it out, and get your rest, thats' what I love about this workout. Because if you train like you're supposed to, you will need every bit of it!!

RJH

congrats on some nice progress ryan. very impressive. stronger and leaner in 5 weeks.

There is a quick summary below for anyone who does not want to read this whole post.

I started this workout about June 1st. I started using 240 2x6 on the flat bench 200 2x5 on the squat and 200 2x5 on the deadlift, all of which were fairly easy for me. I was making good gains and about July 10th I started using M1t. I was making great gains throughout the time I was using M1t. When the bottle was gone I started using 6-oxo for 3-4 weeks and continued making great gains. I succesfully did 280 2x6 on the bench. At the beginning of July I had missed while attempting 260 2x6. I thought this was real good progress for two months worth of work. The next week I arrived at school and was unable to do 285 2x6 the next week I couldnt even come close to 285 2x6 and I continued to decline. The next week I missed at my squat which had gone from 2x5 at 220 to 2x5 at 255 and that continued to spiral down. I had never done deadlifts until I started this program and I have shown a lot of improvement and continue to do so. I took a week off at the end of september in case I was overworked came back and today struggled to get 2x6 255 which is what I started with. I am not sure if the program has become ineffective for me, if there is something different going on now that I am at school, or if has something to do with M1t. I probably eat better at school with more protein and less junk food. So I am stuck as to what to do next

Summary:
I started using M1t and pullinbigs program and made a lot of progress, but when I got to school and off 6-oxo I started to lose all my strength and I need help.

Perdue46 said:
There is a quick summary below for anyone who does not want to read this whole post.

I started this workout about June 1st. I started using 240 2x6 on the flat bench 200 2x5 on the squat and 200 2x5 on the deadlift, all of which were fairly easy for me. I was making good gains and about July 10th I started using M1t. I was making great gains throughout the time I was using M1t. When the bottle was gone I started using 6-oxo for 3-4 weeks and continued making great gains. I succesfully did 280 2x6 on the bench. At the beginning of July I had missed while attempting 260 2x6. I thought this was real good progress for two months worth of work. The next week I arrived at school and was unable to do 285 2x6 the next week I couldnt even come close to 285 2x6 and I continued to decline. The next week I missed at my squat which had gone from 2x5 at 220 to 2x5 at 255 and that continued to spiral down. I had never done deadlifts until I started this program and I have shown a lot of improvement and continue to do so. I took a week off at the end of september in case I was overworked came back and today struggled to get 2x6 255 which is what I started with. I am not sure if the program has become ineffective for me, if there is something different going on now that I am at school, or if has something to do with M1t. I probably eat better at school with more protein and less junk food. So I am stuck as to what to do next

Summary:
I started using M1t and pullinbigs program and made a lot of progress, but when I got to school and off 6-oxo I started to lose all my strength and I need help.

how long did you stay on the m1t? short cycles produce short gains. too be honest if you still in school i wouldnt even mess with the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) or phs. also how much do you weigh and how much protein you taking in a day? there are so many variables to consider when stuff like this happens.

pullinbig said:
congrats on some nice progress ryan. very impressive. stronger and leaner in 5 weeks.

Thanks John. I think I am getting close to a sticking point, I'll call you next week and maybe talk about some changes.

btw, I am starting to feel all of this heavy ass weight (for me anyway) take its toll on my joints a little bit. Gonna start wrapping my knees during squats and I bought one of those tennis elbow things, which is helping alot.

Hopefully the Deca will change all that. lol

pullinbig said:
how long did you stay on the m1t? short cycles produce short gains. too be honest if you still in school i wouldnt even mess with the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) or phs. also how much do you weigh and how much protein you taking in a day? there are so many variables to consider when stuff like this happens.

I was on M1t for about 25 days (60 tablets). I weigh 187. I take in about 320 grams of protein on workout days about 280 on non-workout days. I am 23 years old. Also, I am considering becoming a personal trainer after I graduate in December. If I do, I might save up the money to get online training from you.

Back