The 5x5 routine

how many muscles can u work in 1 day??

would i still do

chest/tris
back/bis
shoulders and legs .. or nope ??

and how come if its 5x5 .. in some squat stuff ppl put 1x20 ?? can u change around the forumula?

you can mess with the formula somewhat, but it works best the way its layed out. I train 2 muscle per day, but dont like the pre exhausting idea, ie, back before bis, chest before tris. etc, that never worked for me

i c what you mean ...

when i do the pre-exhausting .. i feel a huge pump ...
but i can't do as much weight...

you think its more benefical to do a
chest/bi , back / tri split?

when increasing... do you think a 10lb increase would be too much each week..

i can prob do 1rm at 185 lbs . if i start out the 5x5 at 130 lbs , do u think there would be a big enough strengtgh gain in 5 weeks ... or should i start the 5x5 at maybe .. 145 lbs and go up by just 5 lbs a week?

I would stick with the 5lb increments, even though I squat over 400lbs for reps, I still only add 5lbs per week

needsize, on bicept/tricept day do u do both the 5x5s then superset the other hi-rep exercises or do u do all the bicept exercises then all the tricept exercises? thanks for your time.

on arm day, i superset back and forth through the whole thing, with about 90 seconds rest between sets. So the whole routine is a set for bis, rest 90 seconds then a set for tris, rest 90 seconds then a set for bis, etc

Hello everyone.

I'm new to lifting and working out and I'm really just getting into it and have no idea what I'm doing. I read a bit about this 5X5 workout and heard it works really well. I was wondering if someone could take a little bit of time to help me setup a routine and maybe explain some of the exercises to me, as I'd like to get started as soon as possible!

I weigh 185 if that helps at all, but I'm sure for someone to actually help me and help me to come up with a routine that will work for me, you'll probably need more information. I'd be forever grateful if somebody could even tell me what sort of things I Need to know before I can begin my routine.

Also, I've been reading as much as I can and trying to soak in information about each type of exercise, and I'm willing to spend lots of my time if someone is willing to set me on the right path.

Thanks Ahead.

Last edited:
Just have a quick question regarding the 5x5 routine.

Would i slowly increase only my 5x5 exercise by 5lbs each week or all exercises? If it's just the 5x5 then is there a specific way to increase the 2x8-10 sets?

I've been doing my own version of this for 2 weeks now and so far it's been really easy. Too easy imo, but I'm going to give it another couple of weeks before I pass judgement.

Hey NeedSize, quick question(s).....

I've started the 5x5 routine and started with chest, Flat bench to be specific. then 2x8 of incline DB presses and 2x8 of inclin DB flies. should I do the flies before the incline presses or does it really even matter? Also, after that I tossed in a 2x10 of body weight dips to help shape my lower chest. is that ok or am I over training my chest at that point? I feel great today(read: pretty sore!) after starting the 5x5. Also what would be a good 5x5 routine for shoulders?

Back