The Truth about Protein

1.) Keep crap out of this forum. I HATE deleting posts and banning people cause i'm lazy.

2.) Adidamps- Bill Pearl had a very impressive physique as a VEG.

3.) Didn't care to read it so I can't comment on the article but YOU DO NOT NEED A LOT OF PROTEIN TO BUILD MUSCLE. No more then 1g / lb of LBM is needed really needed. Anything more then 1.5g / lb of LBM is a waste. Remember we are talking / lb of LBM not bodyweight.

I agree and disagree with parts of this article. Protein is a complicated issue forsure, and I do feel the concept has been stressed too much. If you eat more or less protein in a day, your body handles it differently. However I draw the line at the comparisons between meat-eating men and plant-eating gorillas. It's very misleading. One only needs to look at vegetarian or vegan bodybuilders to see they can't achieve the same results as their meat-eating counterparts. I don't think anyone seriously believes Cutler or Coleman could have won the Olympia, if they were vegetarians.

pineapple said:
This article is right on, at least on the protein part relating to building muscle. This myth that protein builds muscle was started a long time ago, and it will never go away.
Bullshit...
This is an example of science not caught up with real life experience.

I tell you what, we'll take twins and put them on the same weight training program and the same caloric intake except one will get 1g protein/lb bodyweight and the other will get 2g protein/lb bodyweight. Then we'll see who gains the most muscle.

Any twins post on this board? lol.

DocJ said:
Bullshit...
This is an example of science not caught up with real life experience.

I tell you what, we'll take twins and put them on the same weight training program and the same caloric intake except one will get 1g protein/lb bodyweight and the other will get 2g protein/lb bodyweight. Then we'll see who gains the most muscle.

Any twins post on this board? lol.
Bullshit? Or you mean that real life hasnt caught up with the myths of protein on muscle building.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a study, feed 10people 1g/lb protein vs 2g/lb protein for 6 months and have them go thru same workouts and eat same food etc.
Real life experience of protein building muscle? Come on DocJ, try doing testing that myth without the use of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) and see how well it'll go.
So far I dont think there are any studies even remotely proving that protein builds muscle.
There are studies disproving it and I have the post, I think it's called "PROTEIN DOESNT BUILD MUSCLE" or something like that.

DirkMoneyshot said:
1.) Keep crap out of this forum. I HATE deleting posts and banning people cause i'm lazy.

2.) Adidamps- Bill Pearl had a very impressive physique as a VEG.

3.) Didn't care to read it so I can't comment on the article but YOU DO NOT NEED A LOT OF PROTEIN TO BUILD MUSCLE. No more then 1g / lb of LBM is needed really needed. Anything more then 1.5g / lb of LBM is a waste. Remember we are talking / lb of LBM not bodyweight.
Good point on LBM, but most people forget that and use bodyweight ratio. So if a person is 200lbs with 10% bodyfat, what would his LBM be? -minus water , fat, bone weight. 100lbs??

StoneColdNTO said:
In the words of Mike Benton of the American College of Health Science, "Perhaps never have so many been so confused over a subject about which they know so little."
No kidding! But aparently this individual is going to draw a bunch of conclusions in this article anyways...

Protein is the most complex of all food elements, and it's assimilation and utilization are the most complicated. When protein food is eaten, more energy is necessary for it to go through it's process of digestion than for any other food.
This is the whole point with regard to people who weight train!
I read the whole thing but gave up on commenting as the article has almost no value to a individual trying to gain muscular bodyweight.
I agree that one can gain muscle mass while consuming only 1g/lb bodyweight or even less if the nutrient timing is on track. However, for someone attempting to maximize their lean muscle mass gains, more protein is needed, this is a fact.

I got the feeling throughout the entire article that the author is some vegetarian PETA member who hates people.

DocJ said:
I read the whole thing but gave up on commenting as the article has almost no value to a individual trying to gain muscular bodyweight.
I agree that one can gain muscle mass while consuming only 1g/lb bodyweight or even less if the nutrient timing is on track. However, for someone attempting to maximize their lean muscle mass gains, more protein is needed, this is a fact.

I got the feeling throughout the entire article that the author is some vegetarian PETA member who hates people.
You're basing this on anecdotal and "real life" experiences, when science backs it up the other way. Up the calories instead of upping the protein. There's still no proof that protein builds muscle, when using or not using AAS. I'm not saying that protein is not needed at all, but more than 100g is definately a waste. And one can get that much from eating regular food daily, which is enough in carbs, etc.

I will continue to waste money on protien. When i started lifting without supplements, i was 145lbs, after a year i was up to 150lbs...i didn't gain much weight or size until i started supplementing protien. That's a fucking fact.

pineapple said:
You're basing this on anecdotal and "real life" experiences, when science backs it up the other way. Up the calories instead of upping the protein. There's still no proof that protein builds muscle, when using or not using AAS. I'm not saying that protein is not needed at all, but more than 100g is definately a waste. And one can get that much from eating regular food daily, which is enough in carbs, etc.
Yes, you're correct, currently, research suggests this.....however, researchers are never attempting to maximize muscular bodyweight gain and hardly any studies use subjects who are experienced weight trainers.

Ask Iron Addict how many hundreds of trainees that have dramatically increased their muscle mass by doubling their protein intake. Are you honestly saying that the same result would've occured if they would've increased their calories equally with carbs instead?

Last edited:
pineapple said:
You're assuming these inuits and traditional hunter gatherers are eating steak? lol nice one.
no YOUR assuming...not I.
i am quite aware of what Inuits and what most hunter gatherer tribes consume..both very, but for the most part it is heavy in meat and FAT.
along side some roots, vegatables and wild fruit. PLEASE i have done my research and studies on both.

for future reference please dont make assumptions for me.

pineapple said:
You never even read the article, you skimmed it. So you cant even argue anything since you havent even read it. There is no point to argue with an idiot, because no matter how much you try to explain, the idiot just doesnt have the brain power/cells/capacity to understand. No point of explaining this to you either, because you will most likely not get it.
again i guess your assuming i didnt go back and read it later.

Thoms said:
I agree and disagree with parts of this article. Protein is a complicated issue forsure, and I do feel the concept has been stressed too much. If you eat more or less protein in a day, your body handles it differently. However I draw the line at the comparisons between meat-eating men and plant-eating gorillas. It's very misleading. One only needs to look at vegetarian or vegan bodybuilders to see they can't achieve the same results as their meat-eating counterparts. I don't think anyone seriously believes Cutler or Coleman could have won the Olympia, if they were vegetarians.
i think something most people dont realize is that Gorillas do eat meat, they are known for eatting monkey's and insects (which although i am not o big fan of are high in protien and typically fat (esp grubs)).

also for a little more discussion on this:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/gorilla.html

"The National Zoo in Washington, D.C. tried to breed the near extinct fruitivorian South American golden marmoset in captivity with no result, but when a little animal protein was added to their diet, they began to breed, which proves that they require a small amount of animal protein to be healthy and reproduce."

"Unlike humans, the digestive tract of gorillas is equipped to manufacture the essential amino acids and other vital nutrients. The human digestive system is not so equipped and we must rely on animal proteins."

If kcals stay the same and one individual eats 2g / lb and the other eats 1g / lb. There will be no difference in who has the most muscle.

This 2g / lb stuff is such a joke-

Check out RJ's pictures in the members forum. His diet was only about 300g of protein / day. Look at how much muscle he gained. Don't forget he weighs close to 240.

There is a lot more to it then protein and many of you have failed to realize this. There are much cheaper ways to utilize food and get the same outcome.

DocJ said:
Yes, you're correct, currently, research suggests this.....however, researchers are never attempting to maximize muscular bodyweight gain and hardly any studies use subjects who are experienced weight trainers.

Ask Iron Addict how many hundreds of trainees that have dramatically increased their muscle mass by doubling their protein intake. Are you honestly saying that the same result would've occured if they would've increased their calories equally with carbs instead?

And of those how many were even getting a 1/4 the protein they needed to begine with? Not trying to be a smart ass......................and I know for a fact Aromatase inhibitor (AI) knows his shit for sure....just saying.

DirkMoneyshot said:
If kcals stay the same and one individual eats 2g / lb and the other eats 1g / lb. There will be no difference in who has the most muscle.

Check out RJ's pictures in the members forum. His diet was only about 300g of protein / day. Look at how much muscle he gained. Don't forget he weighs close to 240.

There is a lot more to it then protein and many of you have failed to realize this. There are much cheaper ways to utilize food and get the same outcome.

BINGO....winner, winner chicken dinner!

Juggernaut2148 said:
And of those how many were even getting a 1/4 the protein they needed to begine with? Not trying to be a smart ass......................and I know for a fact Aromatase inhibitor (AI) knows his shit for sure....just saying.
...but according to the article (and pineapple aparently) it shouldn't have mattered, even 1/4 of "the protein they needed to begine with" would've been enough to gain muscular bodyweight.

Again, I'm talking about maximizing muscle gains. NOT how little amount of protein can one eat and still gain some muscle.

Last edited:
DirkMoneyshot said:

although i understand what your trying to say, i do disagree with this statement. unless you were speaking of the "Twins" earlier. but even then there, could some minor gentic deffirences, that would allow one to achieve more muscle than other, regardless of the calorie consumption. also we didnt mention routine, rest or any other variables. so i would have to assume for your statement to hold true, we would have to have a completely controlled enviroment were everything was equal except protien consumption.

Just saying. :)

cmon girls....eat healthy "food" meals and take the pre/pwo protien shakes. Better yet, everyone take a current pic, follow your own idea and post a pic 6 months later and we'll see who progressed the best.

Aczech said:
cmon girls....eat healthy "food" meals and take the pre/pwo protien shakes. Better yet, everyone take a current pic, follow your own idea and post a pic 6 months later and we'll see who progressed the best.
i'd rather argue, its funner.

DirkMoneyshot said:

Okay....explain your stance better. I'm currently eating 3 grams/pound and will be up to 4 grams /pound tommorow. Am I skeptical? YES. And remember....this is just to maintain the muscle I have! But lets say I replaced some of that extra protein with carbs or fats......what would occur? Would I lose muscle....gain fat....?

Back