The Truth about Protein

Aczech said:
cmon girls....eat healthy "food" meals and take the pre/pwo protien shakes. Better yet, everyone take a current pic, follow your own idea and post a pic 6 months later and we'll see who progressed the best.

You can check out any clients pic i puts in the members section.

Well. this thread is certainly serving it's purpose....."to create discussion"....

Not sure if any of you visit www.ironforlife.com but that's where I got this from and there's a good informative discussion going on there as well.

Miss Muscle said:
Okay....explain your stance better. I'm currently eating 3 grams/pound and will be up to 4 grams /pound tommorow. Am I skeptical? YES. And remember....this is just to maintain the muscle I have! But lets say I replaced some of that extra protein with carbs or fats......what would occur? Would I lose muscle....gain fat....?
Bumping this for Dirk...

but 4g/lb, I would hazard a guess that that's bordering on unhealthy, but then again I'm no way very well versed when it comes to the finer points on nutrition and ratios.

StoneColdNTO said:
Bumping this for Dirk...

but 4g/lb, I would hazard a guess that that's bordering on unhealthy, but then again I'm no way very well versed when it comes to the finer points on nutrition and ratios.

You're probably right about it being unhealthy. I should replace those extra calories .....I was thinking with ice cream and candy :) .......after all......a calorie IS still a calorie......right? :)

:biggthump :jump:

Miss Muscle said:
Okay....explain your stance better. I'm currently eating 3 grams/pound and will be up to 4 grams /pound tommorow. Am I skeptical? YES. And remember....this is just to maintain the muscle I have! But lets say I replaced some of that extra protein with carbs or fats......what would occur? Would I lose muscle....gain fat....?
whats making the bulk of your protien intake?

StoneColdNTO said:
Well. this thread is certainly serving it's purpose....."to create discussion"....

Not sure if any of you visit www.ironforlife.com but that's where I got this from and there's a good informative discussion going on there as well.
i went there, and posted there as well.

One of the groups of animals that is eaten for protein is cattle, some fourty million a year. that's alot of meat. For strength! that's actually the first reason given for the necessity of eating meat. "we need to keep up our strength." Well, lets just take a look at that. What would you say is the strongest animal on the planet? Most people would say an elephant. i would agree. As a matter of fact, if you had to think of the strongest animals in the world, the ones used for centuries for their superior strength and endurance, what would they be? Elephants, oxen, horses, mules, camels, water buffalo. What do they eat? Leafy matter, grass, and fruit. Have you ever seen a silverback gorilla? the silverback gorilla physiologically resembles the human being. It is incredibly strong. Even though one is three times the size of the average man, it has thirty times a man's strength! A silverback could toss a two-hundred pound man across the street like a frisbee. And what does the silverback eat? Fruits and other vegetation! What does that indicate to you about the necessity to eat meat for strength? Forget for the time being all the input and opinions you've heard. What do you think? What about the steer meat being eaten for it's near-perfect protein? What did the steer eat to build that protein? Meat? No! Grain and grass! Interesting, isn't it? How can that be? On one side we have all the scientific data showing the benefits of eating meat, and on the other we have our common sense finding that point of view hard to swallow.

This is bullshit, the diets of these animals have no bearing on how human digestion and metabolism work. Those animals are able to grow all they need from a restricted diet of leafy greens, but we can't. And they spend most of their waking hours eating and shitting. Humans are not herbivorous.

Miss Muscle said:

I hope your fucking kidding right???

How much do you weigh? Even if you were 125 lbs thats 375 - 500g of protein / day.

I honestly am having trouble finding words to answer this post.

Lets just put it this way when you ask about the pro / carbs / fat..

your getting no fat or carbs, so you have no energy source. Where is the energy coming from? Your PROTEIN. You are literally using an expensive maconutrient to do the same thing that fats and carbs do.

I'm just going to stop here before I go off-

DirkMoneyshot said:
I hope your fucking kidding right???

How much do you weigh? Even if you were 125 lbs thats 375 - 500g of protein / day.

I honestly am having trouble finding words to answer this post.

Lets just put it this way when you ask about the pro / carbs / fat..

your getting no fat or carbs, so you have no energy source. Where is the energy coming from? Your PROTEIN. You are literally using an expensive maconutrient to do the same thing that fats and carbs do.

I'm just going to stop here before I go off-

Oh Dirk.....after all I've told you about my training program do you think I'm kidding.??????

I've decided I'm going to go against my coaches wishes.........fuck 400 grams protein per day....you are right.....bloody expensive and pointless.

I will retain them however for other purposes.....and they are on holidays but I will be emailing them telling them what I will be doing and why. We can discuss when they get back.

I had a cheat meal tonight....and man do I feel good! Fat.....but good.

I will not be going up to 400 grams protein......300 is good enough....still probably too much but I'm alright with that. I will be adding in either more fibrous veggies or fats......I want to discuss this with my coaches considering they are anti-fat......and yes I know how dangerous this can be. 12 more weeks of it won't kill me though.

If putting in the extra protein helped me in anyway I would do it.......but there is just no justification!

The athletes my coaches put on stage look wonderful! My female coach was Canadian Heavyweight bodybuilding champion numerous times herself! They do pump out winners but at what cost? That alone didn't drag me in but a newbie such as myself can't help but be charmed/swayed by such accomplishments! One of my fave pro figure girls is coached by them......I have rose colored glasses on at times!

Once again I'm hijacking a thread with my own personal contest experiences and I don't wanna get in shit for that.......my apologies!

Thanks for the blunt insight Dirk......sometimes I need it! :rolleyes:

MM----

I hate to be the one to tell you to go against your coaches and I would listen to them to the end. Like i've said thats one thing I hate is when my people get way to much outside advice.

However, I would though in the end look for someone new when this experience is over. That way it gives you the ability to judge for yourself how other peoples programs work and what you feel more comfortable with.

400g / day - I don't know any guy on this board that probably needs that much protein but thats my opinion.

DirkMoneyshot said:
MM----

I hate to be the one to tell you to go against your coaches and I would listen to them to the end. Like i've said thats one thing I hate is when my people get way to much outside advice.

However, I would though in the end look for someone new when this experience is over. That way it gives you the ability to judge for yourself how other peoples programs work and what you feel more comfortable with.

400g / day - I don't know any guy on this board that probably needs that much protein but thats my opinion.

I gotta do it. Until they can give me reasons WHY 400 grams is good I won't do it. Even if they say they don't want me to drop my calories yet and fat/carbs affect how I will look on stage.....THAT'S A REASON. And I have a reason it is the one I'll hear. Which of course I will then ask why the fats/carbs affect how I will look on stage. :) I'm going to let them know of course......not veer off without telling them. But I need more justiification for some of the shit I'm doing. And the reason "We've been doing this for 25 years and this is what works." IS NOT good enough anymore.

Being my first contest I don't mind doing the guinea pig thing......at my discretion.

I will let you know the reasoning for some of the things once I talk to them again and what I decide to do.

Hhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm I Don't Know What To Think About The Whole Thing I Keep A Good Amout Of Protine In Me But Is It Doing Me Any Good I Can't Really Tell My Arms And Chest Are So Tight Right Now That I Can't Pinch My Skin I Feel Rock Hard And No Matter How Much I Go Up In Weight I Just Can't Seem To Get Any Bigger I Just Keep Geting More And More Ripped I Am On Cycle Right Now Sus 300 I Have Gained Alot From It But Now All I Have Is Massive Strenth. I Throw My 240 Pound Brother Around Like A Rag Doll And I'm Only At 171.

Dave B. said:
This is bullshit, the diets of these animals have no bearing on how human digestion and metabolism work. Those animals are able to grow all they need from a restricted diet of leafy greens, but we can't. And they spend most of their waking hours eating and shitting. Humans are not herbivorous.
What are you saying? That we cant grow if we dont consume meat? I'll assume you're talking about muscle growth?? Humans grow just fine off calories, and everything grows, look at when you was a baby, you drink your milk and you grow, you dont need anything else.

Now you cant even make an argument that vegitarian bodybuilders cant grow big, why? because there isnt many of them that are vegitarians. You can get protein from other foods besides meat.

Only problem I see with being a vegitarian bodybuilder is getting ALL THOSE CALORIES, you'd have to eat a lot of veggies and that would be a pain.

Also lets not forget, as you INCREASE PROTEIN intake, that's also providing you EXTRA calories. So, would you gain more muscle from those extra calories you're getting from protein?

A calorie is a calorie.

pineapple said:
What are you saying? That we cant grow if we dont consume meat? I'll assume you're talking about muscle growth?? Humans grow just fine off calories, and everything grows, look at when you was a baby, you drink your milk and you grow, you dont need anything else.

Now you cant even make an argument that vegitarian bodybuilders cant grow big, why? because there isnt many of them that are vegitarians. You can get protein from other foods besides meat.

Only problem I see with being a vegitarian bodybuilder is getting ALL THOSE CALORIES, you'd have to eat a lot of veggies and that would be a pain.

Also lets not forget, as you INCREASE PROTEIN intake, that's also providing you EXTRA calories. So, would you gain more muscle from those extra calories you're getting from protein?

A calorie is a calorie.
i'm switching over too an all twinkie diet for my muscle growth from now on.
thank you, for this most informative post.

A calorie is a calorie.
That is about the biggest blasphemy against nutrition there is. The human body is not a car you just put gas in.

pineapple said:

No. I'm saying that citing the diets of gorillas, elephants, and cattle is meaningless in describing human growth potential. Those animals can subsist on a diet of simple grasses and leaves. Their bodies can synthesize all the amino acids they need from that kind of diet. Ours cannot. Lets see how far you can go on a gorilla's diet?

Citing herbivores as examples of how humans don't need a mega-protein diet to grow, is out-and-out bullshit.

Back