The Truth about Protein

btw Mallet is not a PETA type at all.

He's probably the smartest guy I've ever seen post on a steroid forum. He got to and maintained a relatively lean 280lbs @ 6'1 on 100g of protein or so a day.

Read the whole article, ask him questions on IFL or UKIron.net. The man is a genius I tell you. I've dropped my protein intake considerably, I used to eat 400g+ on cycle. Never again. Today I probably hit 150g and that's actually working fine for me. only been a few days but I will see how it affects me energy wise etc.

frankiedawrench said:

He's probably the smartest guy I've ever seen post on a steroid forum. He got to and maintained a relatively lean 280lbs @ 6'1 on 100g of protein or so a day.

Read the whole article, ask him questions on IFL or UKIron.net. The man is a genius I tell you. I've dropped my protein intake considerably, I used to eat 400g+ on cycle. Never again. Today I probably hit 150g and that's actually working fine for me. only been a few days but I will see how it affects me energy wise etc.

Agreed, he's right up there with the best of them.

frankiedawrench said:

Holy Shit......100 grams? That's unreal! Fuck....I gotta check this guy out!

frankiedawrench said:

i did ask questions on IFL and he or some one else took his thread(s) down instead of answering them. that's cowardly IMO. stick too your guns. and "just answer the fuckin' question."

StoneColdNTO said:
Agreed, he's right up there with the best of them.
no one said he wasnt smart or knows his shit. i have seen and read his posts as well. however i will challange this theory and any other i come across that i dont fully agree with. this long winded low protien diet is one of them.
there are a lot of claims in this post and most i can find/or will find that counter it. and others there are no need to, because commen sense tells you they are too far fetch to even address.

adidamps2 said:
i did ask questions on IFL and he or some one else took his thread(s) down instead of answering them. that's cowardly IMO. stick too your guns. and "just answer the fuckin' question."

Wait.....they took down this thread and or some posts on IFL? That is cowardly.

Miss Muscle said:
Wait.....they took down this thread and or some posts on IFL? That is cowardly.
Mallet had 3 differnt thread up in the diet area, i comment or other wise asked questions.
the next day when i went to check for answers or comments the threads were removed. POOF! gone like the wind.

at least when i say i eat 65% fat i can sit here and back up my reasoning and have a half way intelligent conversation why i do it.

I just registered to this board simply to make a response to this post. I was in an active discussion on the topic over at ironforlife when it was removed. I think much of the argument over this post is stemmed from people misunderstanding it. Mallet wrote this post on IFL in response to inquiries about eating for general health (getting lean, staying lean, preventing heart disease), not eating to maximize muscle gains. Quote from the original post by Mallet: "I'm going to confine this thread to the effects on ones weight loss and energy level without getting intio any of the other subjects mentioned above." Mallet never intended to convince people you don't need protein to maximize muscle gains. He cited his own experience to show that it is possible to become very muscular eating in this manner. He also cites Bill Pearl to show that vegetarian bodybuilders can become very accomplished. The point was to show how much as a society we overemphasize protein intake.

There was a lot more to this discussion than just this article over at IFL. Discussion about circadian rhythms, food combination, protein degradation, the workings of the human digestive system, digestive enzymes, etc. The purpose of this article may have been less confusing had everyone been able to be a part of the entire discussion. The article was aimed for the members of IFL who are indeed "bodybuilders", but not those with the intention of getting as big as possible. I know nothing about this board, but based on its name, I may assume that most members here are looking to get BIG.

For those of you who are familiar with Mallet, you know that it is always his goal to use nutrition and exercise to maximize his health and well being, not to maximize his muscle mass. But at a lean 245 pounds, he has showed that it is possible to get pretty darn big eating this way. I have a personal goal of attaining a well developed physique, muscular, lean, but by no means huge. This article really seemed to be something to look at for someone like me.

So for those of you looking to be 250+ pounds of muscle, maybe this article isn't intended for you. To get to that size, you are no doubt going to need to eat big quantities of all macros, including protein. But the offset of eating this way for a lifetime is the sacrifice of health. For many, this is a sacrifice people are willing to make, and that's fine.

Sorry for the long rant, but we were having a very productive discussion on this topic over at IFL, then it disappeared. I heard it was being discussed over here, only to find out it was being taken out of its context and being blasted for ideas it wasn't even promoting.

Whitemeat said:
I just registered to this board simply to make a response to this post. I was in an active discussion on the topic over at ironforlife when it was removed. I think much of the argument over this post is stemmed from people misunderstanding it. Mallet wrote this post on IFL in response to inquiries about eating for general health (getting lean, staying lean, preventing heart disease), not eating to maximize muscle gains. Quote from the original post by Mallet: "I'm going to confine this thread to the effects on ones weight loss and energy level without getting intio any of the other subjects mentioned above." Mallet never intended to convince people you don't need protein to maximize muscle gains. He cited his own experience to show that it is possible to become very muscular eating in this manner. He also cites Bill Pearl to show that vegetarian bodybuilders can become very accomplished. The point was to show how much as a society we overemphasize protein intake.

There was a lot more to this discussion than just this article over at IFL. Discussion about circadian rhythms, food combination, protein degradation, the workings of the human digestive system, digestive enzymes, etc. The purpose of this article may have been less confusing had everyone been able to be a part of the entire discussion. The article was aimed for the members of IFL who are indeed "bodybuilders", but not those with the intention of getting as big as possible. I know nothing about this board, but based on its name, I may assume that most members here are looking to get BIG.

For those of you who are familiar with Mallet, you know that it is always his goal to use nutrition and exercise to maximize his health and well being, not to maximize his muscle mass. But at a lean 245 pounds, he has showed that it is possible to get pretty darn big eating this way. I have a personal goal of attaining a well developed physique, muscular, lean, but by no means huge. This article really seemed to be something to look at for someone like me.

So for those of you looking to be 250+ pounds of muscle, maybe this article isn't intended for you. To get to that size, you are no doubt going to need to eat big quantities of all macros, including protein. But the offset of eating this way for a lifetime is the sacrifice of health. For many, this is a sacrifice people are willing to make, and that's fine.

Sorry for the long rant, but we were having a very productive discussion on this topic over at IFL, then it disappeared. I heard it was being discussed over here, only to find out it was being taken out of its context and being blasted for ideas it wasn't even promoting.

First of all welcome to Ology.

But who the hell cares if the discussion veered from what was intended or the original topic!!! That happens all the time! That is part of the beauty of DISCUSSION forums! You don't post an article and then limit to what the readers can discuss about it. If somebody gets something different out of it or has a question pertaining to something mentioned by another poster......then as far as I'm concerned that's fine!

If people misunderstand the article than why not discuss! Everybody on these boards is obviously interested in the subject at hand or else they would not join up! (Except for the convo loungers here at Ology :) )

You say the purpose of the article was aimed at those who are indeed "bodybuilders"....not those who want to get as big as possible. Quite often "bodybuilders" DO want to get as big as possible!

I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned that article can be and should be intended for anyone and everyone.

I still wholeheartedly disagreed with it's removal.

Miss Muscle said:
First of all welcome to Ology.

But who the hell cares if the discussion veered from what was intended or the original topic!!! That happens all the time! That is part of the beauty of DISCUSSION forums! You don't post an article and then limit to what the readers can discuss about it. If somebody gets something different out of it or has a question pertaining to something mentioned by another poster......then as far as I'm concerned that's fine!

It's great to start discussion. I'm sure if nothing else this article caused many here to to at least think why protein is so important to them. I was only responding to those who were responding directly to the article saying it was BS because it wasn't in line with their personal goals. It's plain ignorant to believe this way of eating (living really) won't work for anybody who considers themselves a bodybuilder.

Miss Muscle said:
If people misunderstand the article than why not discuss! Everybody on these boards is obviously interested in the subject at hand or else they would not join up! (Except for the convo loungers here at Ology :) )

You say the purpose of the article was aimed at those who are indeed "bodybuilders"....not those who want to get as big as possible. Quite often "bodybuilders" DO want to get as big as possible!

Quite often, yes. All the time, no. That's why there's multiple weight classes at competitions. (and obviously, some people just don't have the genetic capabilities of getting huge) You can be a bodybuilder and aspire to weigh 185.

[/QUOTE]I'm sorry but as far as I'm concerned that article can be and should be intended for anyone and everyone.

I still wholeheartedly disagreed with it's removal.[/QUOTE]

Anyone can read the article and take what they want out of it. That's fine. I just wanted everyone to know this article was one part of a rather detailed discussion on "healthy living bodybuilding" as opposed to the standards many follow. It was something new that a few of us were interested in, and Mallet has used these methods for some time now with great results and he offered his experiences and opinions to help us out.

Speaking of opinions.....I would agree if anyone objected to the article being called "The TRUTH About Protein". I'm not sure if we can say anything we know or think we know about this stuff the truth.

If everyone finds this post a bit controversial, you should've read the one on circadian rhythms. I'm not able to explain the whole thing, but it basically makes you eat only 8 hours during the day, from noon till 8 pm (if you wake up and go to bed at a normal time). Fruits were the only thing allowed during other hours since they are digested in the intestines, and would not disrupt the natural cycles. I found it pretty hard to believe at first, but actually tried it before discounting it. And I actually did feel more alert and energetic throughout the day. Probably not a great way to gain muscle, but Mallet claims he has been able to maintain size while eating this way. So something to think about if you are in a maintenance stage. I wish these articles would reappear on IFL so everyone could get the whole picture. It was a breath of fresh air for someone like me. I've always struggled trying to incorporate bodybuilding diets to fit with my goals. I'm in a Kcal range of about 2500-2800 per day to maintain my weight or grow very slightly. Eating 200+ grams of protein daily left less than 2000 Kcals for fats and carbs. Throw in post workout carbs, and the fats that come with meats, I just couldn't fit in fruits. I think many in the BB community eat very few fruits. But all the while I was following this type of a diet, I felt like I should be eating more fruits & vegs and less meats to be healthier. My family has a history of heart disease and most are overweight, as is the rest of America. I wanted to find a way to be in good shape and be healthy at the same time. These articles really helped to provide some direction towards those goals.

Another topic discussed was the way different food combinations such as steak and potatoes and how eating too much protein really taxes the body's digestive system. By eating the right foods and combining foods properly, we are able to be much more efficient with converting our food to energy. Someone can eat a diet of 3000 Kcals, but if they are poor food choices, it will require extra energy for the body to just digest these foods. Not to mention the amount of the food that will not be utilized by the body once it is digested. Using certain diet plans, it is possible to eat much less than before and still actually utilize just as many of the nutrients as you were before. This was lightly touched upon in the protein article here. Why not utilize a higher percentage of the protein you ingest and ingest less?

Without any scientific backup, logic tells me that nobody is going to fully utilize 300 grams of protein a day for muscle building. Just do some math. 300 grams = .66 pounds. Weekly, that comes to over 4.5 pounds of protein consumed. Anyone here gaining 4.5 pounds of muscle a week? No....So where does all that extra protein go? Some goes to energy. But carbs are a much more efficient source of energy, so why not take in those calories in carbs instead of extra protein. Some of the extra also becomes waste. I don't know all the details of what goes on here, but I remember that this waste protein really does a job on stressing your body and organs and robs you of energy and a feeling of well being.

frankiedawrench said:
You need to go over to M&M and AnabolicMinds...at times it doesn't even seem like those guys are speaking english.

Not to take anything away from Mallet, top notch mind on those shoulders.

Whitemeat said:

Don't apologize for speaking your mind, at least not here.

And thank you for coming here to join in the discussion as well as clarify some points.

We frown on deleting threads here, so join in and feel welcome.

DocJ said:
OMG I just can't take it anymore...

yea if a calorie was a calorie things would be sooo simple. We wouldn't need to argue about this stuff and we could just eat whatever we wanted.

DocJ said:
OMG I just can't take it anymore...

Whitemeat said:
yea if a calorie was a calorie things would be sooo simple. We wouldn't need to argue about this stuff and we could just eat whatever we wanted.

Thoms said:
That is about the biggest blasphemy against nutrition there is. The human body is not a car you just put gas in.
We're NOT talking about NUTRITION here (or whats healthy), we're talking about CALORIES.

You can eat 400g of protein and get 1600 calories.
You can eat 177.77g of fat and get 1600 calories.
Etc.
I dont know why the three of you are thinking "NUTRITION" or Healthy eating, it was never even mentioned.

Last edited:
Back