Thumb posistion on bench....

Tryn2

My partner puts thumbs behind bar I wrap them around...Whats the difference, he lifts more than me and says that grip helps....BS or not ???

I don't think thumb position really matters. Just find a grip thats most comfortable to you. I like to keep my thumbs behind the bar.

You friend probably lifts more because he is stronger.

Tryn2 said:
My partner puts thumbs behind bar I wrap them around...Whats the difference, he lifts more than me and says that grip helps....BS or not ???

I had the same experince... it turned out he was stronger than me :). Its all preference.

I grab it just like a dumbell, no more suicide grip for me. I did like it for awhile though.

I watched a guy grip 375 inclined with the "suicide grip".. he wouldn't be alive today if it werent for me and the other spotter catching it. I don't belive in it.

When you get used to a grip, or even a particular bench or a favorite bar in the gym - you get used to it and you believe in it. When you change something it takes some time for many to adjust, but its not neccessarily going to help you IMO to use the suicide grip. Many feds apparently wont even allow it, but I did see it in use in a recent video at a meet.

I wrap my thumbs around the bar(just like dumbells). Tried it the other way once cuz a guy was telling me u could lift more if u changed to suicide grip. Well, for me, I was actually less comfortable w/that and lifted less weight. Use what feels nat. 2 u.

yeah, it is called a false grip. I had my partner start using it and he added 10lbs to his lift in one workout. No b.s. bro. I use it all the time. Make sure you use a spotter the first few times though. It is a little hairy at first.

You have to learn how to hold the bar. I used to "bench more" using suicide too, but I had to switch because its no good in most circles. Now I "bench more" with a standard grip.

Back