Tips to get to sleep/ natural sleep remedies?

I don't like melatonin. I've also some problems with nightmares while on melatonin. Rarely with the sleep's problems i use glycine.

Just do the sheep count. They say it not only helps falling asleep, but also trains both of your brain hemispheres at a time.

Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol late in the day, Complete the last meal of the day at least 3 hours before bedtime, Cut down or avoid fluids at least an hour before bedtime, Don’t watch television in bed, Get up at the same time every day. - those are pretty efficient hints

Don't use your bed excessively for activities you would/ should/ could do elsewhere- watching tv, laptop use, work, it will arguably keep brain activity high thus decreasing its ability to shit off for sleep. It can also give your sleep life negative connotations, going to bed is not something you look forward. Additionally, recently I read that if you wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep- get up and do read in another room, until you feel tired and then return to bed- again it is supposed to remove any potential negative associations with your bed/ sleeping.

I took a class on sleep hygiene and all of these were mentioned. I used to struggle with insomnia and sleep issues. I have found that keeping a pretty regular sleep schedule (even on weekends) helps tremendously. You shouldn't use your bed for ANYTHING other than sleeping (except sex, your allowed to use your bed for that :D). I stop drinking coffee and other stimulants at least 8 hours before going to bed (except tobacco...trying to quit dipping). If I can tell that I am going to have a hard time going to sleep, I will take Zquil before laying down to read. I will then obviously lay down in bed and read for 30-45min. Normally with or without the Zquil, I'm out like a baby shortly.

Also avoiding alcohol helps alot. Even one drink anywhere near bedtime has been shown to mess with the REM cycle, and although it may help you to fall asleep, it doesn't give you a good night's rest.

I agree with Melatonin, great solution, but also agree that it should be used Carefully.
Training at night seems to make me more active than tired, so I try to train earlier in the day.
Chamomile tea is great.

Also some things that havent been mentioned that help me a lot (light sleeper here)
1- Inositol 5g half an hour before bed. This helps slow down your brain / calm the mind chatter.
2- Some sort of white noise (if you have a AC unit that's great, if not try some 8 hour waterfall or ocean sounds on youtube)
3- Taking long deep breaths, especially long when you breathe out, helps slow your heart rate and put you on sleepy mood.

ohhhh and avoid drinking too much water before bed so you don't wake up several times to urinate.

Hope I helped!

I agree with Paulazz. Lately I had a problem with my sleeping routine. A cut my alcohol and caffeine. And maybe it look like a simple logic, but cleaning your room or bed to make it more comfortable will help too.

Using Essential Oils can help some people with sleep problems

Essential oils can be used to help you get a good nights sleep. Here are some of the top essential oils which can calm and relax, helping to you to fall asleep more easily and get a good nights rest.

- Lavender helps to calm the nervous system and relax the body. Lavender is used in aromatherapy to fight insomnia, anxiety, depression and fatigue.

- Mandarin is a wonderful gentle oil that is popular for use with children. It helps encourage sleep by easing nervous tension and soothing irritability.

- Chamomile has a good relaxing effect on the nervous system. The oil can be used as for other essential oils (see below). Alternatively try a cup of Chamomile tea about half hour before bed

- Bergamot as a great stress relieving oil to help you relax. This citrus fragrance encourages restful sleep and is believed to be a natural anti-depressant.

There are a few different ways you can use essential oils to help you sleep..

- Skin application or Massage. Never apply essential oils directly on your skin, make sure to dilute in a carrier or vegetable oil. (you will need about 5 teaspoons of carrier oil for every 10 drops of essential oils) Massage the blend into feet and hands or around the neck, shoulders or upper back if you get tense in these areas.

- Bath. For an adults bath, add 4-6 drops of essential oil just before you get in and swish this around to mix well. Essential oils do not dissolve readily in water but will disperse if well mixed. Do not prepare the bath in advance as much of the volatile oil will be lost. Don't be tempted to add more oil, even if the amount looks tiny. Essential oils are very concentrated and the number of drops suggested is more than sufficient. Allow plenty of time for a relaxing soak for at least 10 minutes, or up to 20 minutes if you can! Some of the oil will adhere to the skin and some will be inhaled as an aromatic vapour

- Inhalation: can simply add a few drops of the oil onto a tissue and tuck inside your pillow case so you will inhale the oil through the night for better quality sleep or add the essential oil to an aromatherapy vaporiser. Do not use an oil burner with a candle as it is not safe to leave this burning while you are asleep.

Hope this helps!

Back