Training calves. How do you train?

Roush

I am banned!
Don't hear many people discuss training calves. So Im just curious what everyone's training strategies are for calves.
For me I go as heavy as I can for as many reps as I can. With diff rep ranges

I'll do calf raises on the over head leg press machine - 650 lbs by 30 reps for six sets

I'll do seated calf raises - 225 lbs to failure (9-12 reps) for 3 sets - then 180 lbs to failure 15+ reps for 3 sets

I'll do calf raises on the smith machine - put a wood block on the ground and get in the squat position then extend up and do calf raises - 225 lbs for 20 reps 4 sets

Also will do one legged calf raises on a stair or wood block - hold a 60 lb dumbbell - 30+ reps to failure for 4+ sets

Train them twice a week

View attachment 560265

Leg press machine with as much weight as I can stack on it (I think 1378lbs?) and do 4 sets of 15. Then squat rack standing on 45's for slow reps to 15 at 455 to 595 depending on energy levels and the possibility of a calf cramp lol. I do those last, so failure tends to come after the third set and a half.

I do mine once a week as I have other lagging body parts that I'm trying to bring up first. Definitely far more respect given to guys that obviously train legs, and calves being the visible indicator of this.

My .02c :)

standing exercises with 4-6 reps
sitting exercises with 8-10 reps
no weight exercises until failure

all different machines and ways, twice a week

2-3 times a week ,
I do usually 6-8 sets of standing calf raises with 15-20 reps and squeeze at the top
3-4 sets of reversed calf raises until failure.

No weight raises. Fast up, pause at the top, hold 1-2 seconds, slow (4+seconds) on the drop. = 1 rep.
3 sets/20 reps

This is enough to have my calves cramping after coming home and sitting down.. don't see a reason to add weight yet really. They're even up an inch :D

No weight raises. Fast up, pause at the top, hold 1-2 seconds, slow (4+seconds) on the drop. = 1 rep.
3 sets/20 reps

This is enough to have my calves cramping after coming home and sitting down.. don't see a reason to add weight yet really. They're even up an inch :D

Being calves are the most used and dense muscles in our body, seems odd you can get them to grow with body weight only exercises.. I've got to really hammer them with lots of weight and lots of sets (granite I can get sore going light, but growth happens for me with lots of weight and volume)..
How long have u been training them?

I do what Hypnotix does, though I just recently added 10 pounds when doing it. I work calves every other day. I am seeing slow growth, but then I started with chicken legs...I am surprised I could even walk with how little muscle I started out with!

Back