training more important than diet

In regards to prison food, it's not as bad as most seem to make it out to be. I too live in a rough neighborhood and a guy across the street from me just got out. I made a smart ass remark about the shitty food and he said that it was actually good, and they had chefs there making their shit.

Completely disagree. You can train as hard as you want, but without the calories you're going nowhere fast.

Yes but what I'm sayin is quantity over quality. As long as you're in a calorie surplus and training is good you will gain mass.... Regardless of WHAT you eat

Well if your concern is just mass, then sure calorie surplus (so long as you're getting a decent amount of protein) will likely get you where you want to be. I guess I assumed you were also interested in gaining lean mass, not becoming a fat fuck with muscle hidden away under an adipose layer.

Yes but what I'm sayin is quantity over quality. As long as you're in a calorie surplus and training is good you will gain mass.... Regardless of WHAT you eat

I guess it all depends on genetics here.
I read an article on Cedric McMillan and he started off as a hard gainer, like many. His suggestion was to do what he did which was consume everything in sight, and this included fast food.
As for me, my metabolism is so high that I think I could eat anything I want quality wise and make no noticeable difference. I do however want to be consuming healthy foods as it is better in the long run and makes me feel good and have more energy.

Well if your concern is just mass, then sure calorie surplus (so long as you're getting a decent amount of protein) will likely get you where you want to be. I guess I assumed you were also interested in gaining lean mass, not becoming a fat fuck with muscle hidden away under an adipose layer.

No one said I was eating everything in site. As long as your within your macros you won't get fat

Go eat at Taco Bell then hit the gym & do some heavy deads or squats.....see how your body likes that.

Go eat at Taco Bell then hit the gym & do some heavy deads or squats.....see how your body likes that.

Lol I'm talking from a muscle building standpoint here. Take a look at Michael phelps.... Is he fat? Fuck no dude is ripped and he eats junk all day long. Granted he is a fat burning furnace but still. Proves that you can eat WHAT you want and get results

You're comparing an olympic swimmer to bodybuilders though man it's totally different. Phelps' TDEE is through the roof, and he has to eat anything and everything just to maintain that sort of expenditure.

Like you said earlier, if you stay within your macros, of course you'll be fine. But assuming you've set your macros reasonably and differentiate between different fats (e.g. you try to get only x polyunsaturated fats vs y saturated fats) it becomes pretty difficult to eat dirty.

So, try to eat at Taco Bell for the day and stay within your macros. Bet there will be a bit of an issue with keeping the fats down.

Lol I'm talking from a muscle building standpoint here. Take a look at Michael phelps.... Is he fat? Fuck no dude is ripped and he eats junk all day long. Granted he is a fat burning furnace but still. Proves that you can eat WHAT you want and get results

You're comparing an olympic swimmer to bodybuilders though man it's totally different. Phelps' TDEE is through the roof, and he has to eat anything and everything just to maintain that sort of expenditure.

Like you said earlier, if you stay within your macros, of course you'll be fine. But assuming you've set your macros reasonably and differentiate between different fats (e.g. you try to get only x polyunsaturated fats vs y saturated fats) it becomes pretty difficult to eat dirty.

So, try to eat at Taco Bell for the day and stay within your macros. Bet there will be a bit of an issue with keeping the fats down.
Cals in vs cals out brotha.

I eat fast food and junk here and there and I'm alright for the amount of it I eat lol. From a "health' perspective it's probably not a good idea, everyone's body reacts to that kind of food differently though, I really don't care as long as I look the way I want

I eat fast food and junk here and there and I'm alright for the amount of it I eat lol. From a "health' perspective it's probably not a good idea, everyone's body reacts to that kind of food differently though, I really don't care as long as I look the way I want
Really I think that's what it comes down to. If you partake in the fast food and you start to feel like shit or start to notice it in the mirror, whether you scrap it or not is entirely up to you.

Diet as "great" needs to be quantified. In reality as long as you eat more calories than you burn, any diet can be "great." It is impossible for the human body to build actual lean tissue without enough calories to do so. It's like building a house with no bricks. Now if you want to get fancy, yes, there are better foods, and yes, eating plenty of protein is what you need to build that house. But retarded training is probably more common than retarded eating. This is why "prisoners get so jacked." They eat a ton of calories, it just comes from shitty processed junk. Which I try to avoid at all costs, not being in prison and all, and having the choice to eat well. At the end of the day, train hard/intense and allow your body to recover while eating at minimum a few hundred over what you burn (with 1 gram per lb or bw in protein minimum). Whalla, growth.

Last edited:
Diet as "great" needs to be quantified. In reality as long as you eat more calories than you burn, any diet can be "great." It is impossible for the human body to build actual lean tissue without enough calories to do so. It's like building a house with no bricks. Now if you want to get fancy, yes, there are better foods, and yes, eating plenty of protein is what you need to build that house. But retarded training is probably more common than retarded eating. This is why "prisoners get so jacked." They eat a ton of calories, it just comes from shitty processed junk. Which I try to avoid at all costs, not being in prison and all, and having the choice to eat well. At the end of the day, train hard/intense and allow your body to recover while eating at minimum a few hundred over what you burn (with 1 gram per lb or bw in protein minimum). Whalla, growth.
This is what I've been saying all along lol. Yes from a health standpoint its better to always eat "clean" but you can still live a little and make great gains

Cals in vs cals out brotha.

Haha.

It's true, but to say training is MORE important than diet, I think is a stretch. No matter what form they're in, you HAVE to get a surplus of calories to gain, period. That is diet, even if it isn't a clean diet, it's diet.

So in summary if nothing else, you need both - they're equally important...like Love and Marriage...can't have one without the other, haha.

Now, that said, you use you're philosophy, I'll use mine, and we can compare results.

Cheers brother.

^Indeed. As Mr. Yates says.
Training is 100%
Diet is 100%
Recovery is 100%

I think that totals more than 100% though. :D

Even if you're a "prisoner" lol, you can still have the option to get some pretty healthy choices, provided you got the cash to get it from canteen, so it's not all junk and garbage

Cals in vs cals out is not necessarily true either though. If you workout at the same time and same intensity each day and your in a catabolic state, your body will actually store those calories for the workout. Here of people trying to loose weight running a calorie deficit all the time and they still can loose the last 10lbs? Same thing can happen with feeds your body needs the extra cal to recover but may not really use all the nutrients available.
If you treat your body like a car the fuel you put in will run better if your putting crap fuel in it will still preform but it will not be performing as expected.

Cals in vs cals out is not necessarily true either though. If you workout at the same time and same intensity each day and your in a catabolic state, your body will actually store those calories for the workout. Here of people trying to loose weight running a calorie deficit all the time and they still can loose the last 10lbs? Same thing can happen with feeds your body needs the extra cal to recover but may not really use all the nutrients available.
If you treat your body like a car the fuel you put in will run better if your putting crap fuel in it will still preform but it will not be performing as expected.

all's im saying here is as long as youre in a caloric surplus you will gain muscle period. did you know sumo wrestlers have more lean muscle mass than bbers and power lifters? do they watch/ count calories, macros, worry about excess protein? hell no they just EAT. yes they are fat, but if they ever cut down they would look jacked as fawk lol

just proves a point here, eat excess calories and you will grow. now if you dont wanna get fat like a sumo wrestler than just stay 500-1000 calories above maintenance give or take, and dont eat everything/anything like they do.

Even if you're a "prisoner" lol, you can still have the option to get some pretty healthy choices, provided you got the cash to get it from canteen, so it's not all junk and garbage

yes but i highly doubt these prisoners track every macro and make sure they are getting excess protein. not saying they are all jacked,most look like shit. but the ones who are train and they train often, its not because they are following some high protein diet..... therefor training>diet when it comes to muscle growth

yes but i highly doubt these prisoners track every macro and make sure they are getting excess protein. not saying they are all jacked,most look like shit. but the ones who are train and they train often, its not because they are following some high protein diet..... therefor training>diet when it comes to muscle growth

Not all of em keep track of things like that, but you'd be surprised at the fair amount that do..
Either way I believe in cals in cals out, and when to cut down when you start getting fat

Back